A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

That said I do believe his latter day cousin Juan Sheet may have something to say about it ?

W.Iper

Not forgetting his brother who became a monk, now usually known as Holy Sheet.

Following Rich's advice I primed the roof with Halfords grey after masking.Great.Applied some Humbrol acrylic Sea Grey from their aerosol and then realised I'd masked over the sides but left the brown band at cantrail level so I've had to paint that back in using Precision coach brown.The roof is very light to my liking, does anyone know of a dark grey available in aerosol form please. I'm sure Halfords would do one.

Hi Rob,

I use Tamiya TS4 German Grey, available in spray can form. A nice dark grey, it has good coverage and is an excellent base for further work. Should be available in the UK, I've just googled 'Tamiya Paints UK' and it shows lots of options.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Were all GW brown vans considered addonable to passenger trains?

Brian

Brown vehicles - officially Non-Passenger Coaching Stock or NPCS, designed to run in passenger trains at express speeds, completely 'addonable' or why not adorn your passenger trains with brown vehicles. Of course milk tankers were also passed to run at express passenger speeds and attached to passenger trains but were not 'brown' - usually grimy black!

Best wishes

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Well I had planned on shewing you my Parkside PC84 Mink V12 build but I've had problems with my chassis. :O Added whitemetal buffers,vacuum cylinder and pipes are from Dave Franks.

attachicon.gifDSCN9860.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9861.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9862.jpg

Someone once said these kits literally build themselves.Utter b*****ks.

They do say a confession is good for the soul and here's mine. I made a right pig's ear of my mink build with both the chassis and body out of square for whatever reason. I decided to go down the MJT irons way for the chassis and after some work to get me out of my own mess by this thread's signal builder deluxe ,Steve, here's where we are at today.I have another one to finish too.I'm still none the wiser where I c***ed up.

post-126-0-17570000-1495636994_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-78648200-1495637006_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-85493300-1495637016_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

I use Tamiya TS4 German Grey, available in spray can form. A nice dark grey, it has good coverage and is an excellent base for further work. Should be available in the UK, I've just googled 'Tamiya Paints UK' and it shows lots of options.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Thanks, it's available from my local Antics. Have you a photo you could share ? I'm wondering if it would pass for GWR grey on wagons. ;) 

• RMweb Gold

Brown vehicles - officially Non-Passenger Coaching Stock or NPCS, designed to run in passenger trains at express speeds, completely 'addonable' or why not adorn your passenger trains with brown vehicles. Of course milk tankers were also passed to run at express passenger speeds and attached to passenger trains but were not 'brown' - usually grimy black!

Best wishes

Chris

Tankers were limited to a top speed of 60 mph to stop them derailing, not alot of people know that.

M Caine 

• RMweb Gold

They do say a confession is good for the soul and here's mine. I made a right pig's ear of my mink build with both the chassis and body out of square for whatever reason. I decided to go down the MJT irons way for the chassis and after some work to get me out of my own mess by this thread's signal builder deluxe ,Steve, here's where we are at today.I have another one to finish too.I'm still none the wiser where I c***ed up.

No shame Rob, and unlike locos, most wagons merge with the others in the rake, so imperfections disappear. A wagon that runs well and can be relied upon is worth several that have full detail but run like dogs. 

• RMweb Gold

That's the funny thing about modelling - well for me at least: You think once you've done one good build then the next one will automatically come out the same way. But not always (as several mis-shapen MJT irons in my drawer will prove!).  As Ian says we'll never know once it's painted and running in one of those lovely goods trains of yours  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was pondering on this question of roof colour. I presume that the new white roofs would have got progressively but slightly unevenly dirty. I.e. At first the dirt would centre of the middle of the roof before beginning to spread out as the coach was in service longer. I was wondering whether a relatively new coach might show more staining at the end nearer the loco depending on the flow of the exhaust over the carriage roofs. Equally, I guess the dirt may have landed unevenly at first. However, over time, the dirt would have become a uniform cover.

Of course I may be overthinking all of this!

David

• RMweb Gold

Don't you mean 'inoffensive', I'm sure Susie Dent wouldn't approve of: unoffensive.

Dick Shunary-Corner

I'm more a Rachel Riley approver...

Were all GW brown vans considered addonable to passenger trains?

Brian

I've not seen evidence of the GWR roundel / shirt button on NPCS either on the prototype or in photos. Not saying it didn't happen, but would like to see some evidence, it looks quite smart !

addonable  ??  I first read that as "adorable" and almost hit the agree button!

Edited by DonB

I've not seen evidence of the GWR roundel / shirt button on NPCS either on the prototype or in photos. Not saying it didn't happen, but would like to see some evidence, it looks quite smart !

addonable  ??  I first read that as "adorable" and almost hit the agree button!

http://www.alextrack.co.uk/library/images/model_railways/2mm_finescale/gwr_fruit_d/gwr_fruit_d_01_xlarge.jpg

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/birmingham-snowhill/locomotives/gwrbsh3062.jpg

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/tyseley/shed/gwrt2997.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 4

Thanks, it's available from my local Antics. Have you a photo you could share ? I'm wondering if it would pass for GWR grey on wagons. ;)

post-294-0-58904800-1495676213.jpg

Hope this helps, it was taken indoors and shows the grey quite well.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

They do say a confession is good for the soul and here's mine. I made a right pig's ear of my mink build with both the chassis and body out of square for whatever reason

You have my sympathies, Robin, but as others have said, don't worry too much about it. Nothing worthwhile that I have ever done has been achieved without a lot of blood, sweat, tears and bad language.

It seems especially true that a build that you think will go smoothly will, if fact, be full of trials, tribulations and many opportunities for 'character building'.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif post-294-0-60042600-1415874865_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps, it was taken indoors and shows the grey quite well.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Thanks and I now realise that this threads kit builder deluxe, 46444 ,uses it to great effect too.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1338/entry-12168-mr-fawkes-receives-a-delivery-parkside-z2-gunpowder-van-build-and-a-few-other-bits/

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

As Ian says we'll never know once it's painted and running in one of those lovely goods trains of yours  :)

You're probably right and here it is in a coat of primer. Not too bad to a blind man on a galloping 'oss. I tempted to paint the other one in bauxite. :read: 

post-126-0-62261700-1495731344_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-61912400-1495731356_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-75179000-1495731366_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-09186700-1495731377_thumb.jpg

• Like 17