A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Your model people really look the part and bring the scenes to life!

It looks as though the signalman is admiring his new tattoo - I wonder if it says I ♥️ Brent ?

No, it says 'Haverfordwest for the Cup!'.

• RMweb Gold

Years ago, one of the managers that used to report to me had a phrase, which I really liked. After giving someone a bol*ocking, he would write to them in a formal letter (which went on their file), using the expression, 'you have been verbally admonished'.

I have heard that referred to as "a full and frank discussion"!

Where did "suitably advised" fit into that hierarchy?

All of course strictly outside the formal discipline procedure and not always recorded  although in later (post 1975 reorganisation) some people said we were supposed to keep a 'black book' or put a note on the miscreant's file.  But in reality I think that it was really only only about letting the person concerned know that you had their number and they were to watch it for the future.   As far as I was concerned the process was either give the miscreant a good talking to with 'suitable guidance for the future' or go straight into formal discipline based solely on the gravity of any perceived offence - I was a firm non-believer in the idea some people had of simply building up the level of punishment one Form 1 after another (the Bristol Division on the WR seemed to like that approach).

The most important area always for record keeping regarding interviews and verbal warnings was in relation to absence where, especially as unfair dismissal legislation came in, it was essential to keep decent records although on two occasions I summarily dismissed men with atrocious attendance records but who had little or no previous formal discipline and only had a trail of verbal warnings  (neither man was supported by their union when seeking to appeal although one of them would have had difficulty in contacting his union rep as he happened to be detained in a large building at Wormwood Scrubs where he had been placed following a spell of making withdrawals from building society branches with the aid of a sawn-off shotgun).

The matter of 'admonishment' (which included 'severely admonished') was I think something of a Western habit and wasn't necessarily either recorded or confirmed in writing and I suspect it was done in order to avoid creating a written disciplinary record.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The use of "admonished" is ,perhaps, another indication of the influence the military had in the early development and management of railways

Admonished is (was?) the lowest penalty one could be given in military law......it didn't even go on your record....it then advanced through reprimand......severe reprimand.....to more serious stuff.

Admonished was often awarded when the officer judging felt that the charge should never have been brought in the first place.......but did not wish to undermine the authority of the (often newly promoted) NCO who had brought it.

More useless trivia from a very old soldier

I'll give you £2 for that one Rob.

M. Izer.

Ill bid three

Gaz Umper

It's not a bloody Railroad Collett chaps. :O

I think another third needs to be ordered asap!

Agreed, then they can have 1 each, and no more bickering!

• Like 1

We might have a river but it's hardly the Dart or Avon of Devonshire is it.

:offtopic: Oh I dunno there's hint of Red Devon soil in these shots:

post-9751-0-79556600-1495038291.jpg

but that's not pollution according to the EA just freak circumstances.

And here's a picture of Coventry reburying it's river under of raft of brick,concrete and steel in 1958

post-9751-0-05604400-1495038756.jpg

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic: Oh I dunno there's hint of Red Devon soil in these shots:

attachicon.gifRiver-sherbourne.jpg

but that's not pollution according to the EA just freak circumstances.

And here's a picture of Coventry reburying it's river under of raft of brick,concrete and steel in 1958

attachicon.gifram bridge on sherbourne1958.jpg

When was the River Sherbourne renamed the River Turdus Floaters?

A. Brook

Guest 7007GreatWestern

When was the River Sherbourne renamed the River Turdus Floaters?

A. Brook

Many years ago some Liverpudlians used to make euphemistic reference to a "Garston Trout", an aquatic "creature" seen floating in the Mersey. It resembled a trout in many ways, was distinctly brown and cigar shaped, though it had no scales, fins.....or indeed eyes.......nor were they noted for their feats of swimming.

(For those unfamiliar with the urban geography of Liverpool there was apparently a "water treatment works" at Garston in the south of the city). Anyway, it would seem hey have evidently migrated to the River Sherborne. I blame that Climate Change......

My apologies to Rob for once more debasing ANTB. 

Andy