A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

In a first class compartment on his way home after a hard day refusung to give people an overdraft I expect.

It was precisely in order to avoid the propagation of frightful jokes like this that the proper Railway referred to them as 'assisting engines'.

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I suppose I can't let my public down

Of course you might be nervous this afternoon as you're playing Cary Hill today.My team are currently the strongest in the third tier and are propping up everyone else. :O Good win for Plymouth today.

• Like 1

What's pushing the meat tin along Rob that big 72xx of yours.  :sarcastic:

This is an appeal for all sufferers of Bulleid-itus.

Spam Cans; of the Merchant Navy; West Country or Battle of Britain variety are those popular locomotives from that railway "daan saaf". Everyone should love Spam Cans, they're not your normal everyday locomotive. Granted they look a bit odd; they're sort of square, no definitely 'spam can' shaped from most angles; no gleaming brass or copper bits, but they did have three bright yellow 'go faster' stripes and their look was bright, new, very modern for the time.

These locomotives hauled express trains and also hauled single coaches on the 'withered arm', possessed one of the best boilers in the business; in one instance one ran for over 40 miles with a cylinder cover missing. They were equipped with electric lighting including inspection lights under the casing, possessed inside motion (very Great Western) that oiled itself, sometimes they seized solid with broken valve gear, they also burst into flames at regular intervals and made a mockery of timetables (Interchange trials) and the settings of the steam reverser. In short Bulleids were fun!

What that nice Mr Bulleid produced was something that was progressive and interesting, pushing the boundaries of locomotive engineering in an attempt to create something better than what had gone before - just like that nice Mr Churchward. That many of his innovations failed and actually demanded more maintenance, shouldn't detract from the fact that the man 'had a go'.

Come on, don't be stuck in the mud, have some fun, love a Bulleid!

Glenn - Bulleid and Small Prairie appreciation society

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Spam Cans; of the Merchant Navy; West Country or Battle of Britain variety are those popular locomotives from that railway "daan saaf". Everyone should love Spam Cans, they're not your normal everyday locomotive. Granted they look a bit odd; they're sort of square, no definitely 'spam can' shaped from most angles; no gleaming brass or copper bits, but they did have three bright yellow 'go faster' stripes and their look was bright, new, very modern for the time.

These locomotives hauled express trains and also hauled single coaches on the 'withered arm', possessed one of the best boilers in the business; in one instance one ran for over 40 miles with a cylinder cover missing. They were equipped with electric lighting including inspection lights under the casing, possessed inside motion (very Great Western) that oiled itself, sometimes they seized solid with broken valve gear, they also burst into flames at regular intervals and made a mockery of timetables (Interchange trials) and the settings of the steam reverser. In short Bulleids were fun!

What that nice Mr Bulleid produced was something that was progressive and interesting, pushing the boundaries of locomotive engineering in an attempt to create something better than what had gone before - just like that nice Mr Churchward. That many of his innovations failed and actually demanded more maintenance, shouldn't detract from the fact that the man 'had a go'.

Indeed Mr Bulleid needs a Spokesman.

• RMweb Premium

I have a distinct aversion to the things since one of them deposited a large proportion of the tender contents on me when it moved off in the wrong direction because of the useless steam reverser and collided with the brake van I had just uncoupled it from.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

But wasn't he more of a disc wheel chap?

Cheers,

BR(W).

I think the term for those gone wrong cast wheels is Boxpox how stupid is that. :sarcastichand:

I.H.Atemalashite-Green

I have a distinct aversion to the things since one of them deposited a large proportion of the tender contents on me when it moved off in the wrong direction because of the useless steam reverser and collided with the brake van I had just uncoupled it from.

Should have taken one of these matey !

post-20303-0-85581800-1484488539.jpeg

El Oalo

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Didn't Hornby have one of these when they first released the Star. ;)

Indeed, and ISTR said Spokesman, when challenged by no less than our own Stationmaster, insisted that Hornby had got it right. Any cred he might have had dropped off the graph for me at that point.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, and ISTR said Spokesman, when challenged by no less than our own Stationmaster, insisted that Hornby had got it right. Any cred he might have had dropped off the graph for me at that point.

Indeed so, mind you it took a slightly different turn when another august member of this parish nearly finished up thumping said spokesman a few minutes later.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1