A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I think I only stayed at two - Royal at Padlington, and Wellcome at Stratford. Had dinner at the Tregenna Castle, though.

Lucky you....they remain a faded memory of aspiration. Never made any of them.Quite fancied The Tregenna.Don't think my social class background measured up.Bit too Agatha Christie and my Valleys accent needed a polish.

• RMweb Gold

Following up on Focus Stacking, and not wishing to get immersed in complicated PC programmes, I downloaded an App on my iPhone* which takes 3 photos, each focussed on a point you choose.

You have to hold the phone really still during the exposures and you get processed combination image which has its flaws but gives the impression of a huge depth of focus and thus realism. Probably worth the £2.99!

Sven has been asked to get the orange paint off the cattle truck floor while a 64xx simmers waiting for more scenery. Samantha is busy scoring in Bath!

*FocusCamera

post-21027-0-41470000-1483643519_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 6

Lucky you....they remain a faded memory of aspiration. Never made any of them.Quite fancied The Tregenna.Don't think my social class background measured up.Bit too Agatha Christie and my Valleys accent needed a polish.

I think I only stayed at two - Royal at Padlington, and Wellcome at Stratford. Had dinner at the Tregenna Castle, though.

https://www.tregenna-castle.co.uk

You can still stay there! No idea what it's like but it's a jazzy website

• RMweb Premium

About 25 years ago my then brother-in-law was the resident manager at Tregenna (long after it was privatised). We stayed there for his daughter's wedding. During the weekend we had a rummage round and found some old menus and other ephemera, probably dating from the 1950s. He was going to make a feature of them but moved on elsewhere before he had the chance so I don't know what happened to them after that.

Who's dun that then? I'll send the boys round.

I've been to their hideout, close to Brent, and Harry Strong said just give 'em a Nod and they'll be on their way, only a few beers n baccy is all they want......

post-20303-0-82488400-1483651342.jpeg

Yours

I.Tinerant

• Like 3

Where is the Sushi?

They're not keen on Indian food ! ;))

A believe they enjoy a damn good fry up ( I won't mention sausages for fear of setting someone off again )

B.Angerskins

• RMweb Gold

The Tregenna has been through a phase as 'holiday flats' - not sure what it is now and I was very disappointed not to be able to sample it although I have stopped at the Royal at Paddington.  Although the food was good at the latter it was far better at the WR's restaurant car chef's training school at Windsor where I had the 'pleasure' of a two day interview a year or two before it closed.  By odd coincidence many years later I went back there to look at, and subsequently buy, a secondhand Citroen from the hotel group which had taken it over as its HQ offices. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As Bachmann are supposed to be making some kind of announcement on Sunday (have I got that right), has anyone on here been speculating about the possibility of a nice little 16XX pannier tank?

You'd love one, Robin, even though it's a bit late for your period.  :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As Bachmann are supposed to be making some kind of announcement on Sunday (have I got that right), has anyone on here been speculating about the possibility of a nice little 16XX pannier tank?

If you're thinking I have insider knowledge Tim, you'd be wrong.I can't confirm or deny a 16xx but a pannier rarely offends.Unless it's in that golden ochre livery as used in The Railway Children film.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I imagine they will be announcing upgraded Manors and Moguls, and new toolings of the Bullied coaches. I also expect them to announce new revised release dates for the things they announced in 2014, 2015 and 2016 which they still haven't managed to make. I also expect to be dead before they actually produce half of it.

Mystic Mog

You'd love one, Robin, even though it's a bit late for your period. :)

Maybe 15xx though I think that's only ever appeared in two liveries both with a black base?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I imagine they will be announcing upgraded Manors and Moguls, and new toolings of the Bullied coaches. I also expect them to announce new revised release dates for the things they announced in 2014, 2015 and 2016 which they still haven't managed to make. I also expect to be dead before they actually produce half of it.

Mystic Mog

Don't you wish your avatar was hot like me,dontcha ? Loving your Shertzy Col.

• RMweb Gold

If you're thinking I have insider knowledge Tim, you'd be wrong.I can't confirm or deny a 16xx but a pannier rarely offends.Unless it's in that golden ochre livery as used in The Railway Children film.

That thought hadn't even entered my mind. If I had thought that you really did have insider knowledge, I'd have arranged for a very large Victoria Sponge and several bottles of High Octane Prune Juice to be delivered to your Railway Room with all possible alacrity.

• RMweb Premium

Class, you're getting into Chris Spams territory with that.

I can't see planning permission being gained in Spam Towers for setting Brio into the dining table. Fantastic idea but think of the problems at Christmas with sprouts and crackers on the line.

• RMweb Gold

It hath to be admitted that there was some insider-dealing here. Deb was involved with PR for the BT Hotels lot, so we got a good rate for celebrating our anniversary at the Royal, the Wellcome was free because Deb was hosting a weekend for travel journalists, and the take-up wasn't quite as expected, and we dropped into Tregenna on holiday, whereupon the manager bought us dinner. He hadn't always pleased distant HQ (St Pancras Chambers), having started some sort of livestock holding in the grounds - whether this meant the pork could claim to be locally-reared I know not. All that had been stamped out by the time we got there (early '80s). 

The hotels represented the sort of headache BRB could have done without. Do you buy some new trains or a signalling scheme, or refurbish Gleneagles - or buy a new boat for Folkestone-Calais? Comparing apples with oranges, all!

EDIT : At the time, Deb told me Gleneagles was Scotland's only 5-star hotel. A significant asset or what?

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

In case you are distracted by the F.A. Cup thingy or didn't read SOSJ:

J.A. alert for tomorrow morning. She will be fan#ying around in Walkabout, BBC2 00.45 - 02.20 (Sunday morning........  :P ).

Philth Y. Mind

"In the USA, the film was originally rated R by the MPAA due to nudity, but was reduced to a GP-rating (PG) on appeal."

Are we allowed to watch?