A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Well, I did have a cup of tea and a mince pie, but I then ended up scratchbuilding two gluten-free pizzas.

Psssstttttt, don't tell Mrs CK but there are very nice GF pizzas available in Morrisons these days. Bit expensive at nearly £4 but about the same as a Domino's product delivered I believe. The Schar ones are OK, less expensive, but have thin crusts......bit like me.

Phil

There are some good photos of that area in the new Bernard Mills book - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118069-backtracking-around-millbay-saltash-and-the-tamar/

I was hoping you would tell me that. Off to our proper book shop soon to order the two Millsy books.

Ar$e

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Psssstttttt, don't tell Mrs CK but there are very nice GF pizzas available in Morrisons these days. Bit expensive at nearly £4 but about the same as a Domino's product delivered I believe. The Schar ones are OK, less expensive, but have thin crusts......bit like me.

Phil

OK, thanks for the tip.

Interestingly, it was from Morrisons that we got the GF pizza base mix packets (there, admitted it, it wasn't a total scratchbuild, I used a chassis kit).

• RMweb Premium

CK, well done for putting the nay sayers in their place on the Scottyman thread. By gad some of those posters are quite like a huge arse plant are they not. I'm seriously tempted to go over there and put in my six pence worth.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rich, I think that is a sound idea - at the risk of stating the bl**ding obvious though, I would look at it the other way round, i.e. start with the longest train that will fit your loops for the Down empties and split that into two for the Up fulls (don't forget that each will need at least one passenger brake van).

Logical definitely, but the plan is more to try and model accurate formations based on photos (scaled accordingly in order to fit the current layout.) the thing is that the intention in the longer term is always to be prepared for the planned Brent mk2 and a significant increacd in length to enable true (or near as damit) length trains.

If by modelling the up trains accurately within the constraints of the current layout means the down is too long, I just see it as preparation for the future...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, thanks for the tip.

Interestingly, it was from Morrisons that we got the GF pizza base mix packets (there, admitted it, it wasn't a total scratchbuild, I used a chassis kit).

I like pi##ing off the Pizza kit builders by modifying the RTR versions and also deliberately using language that provokes and annoys, such as OOfs and pecooboobullhead toppings. Best bit is the cooking time and temperature regulo........ I can cause real punch ups with my suggestions.

Next I'm going to start a real riot by describing how I cut and shut some GF/Veggi/ vegan/ dairy free burgers whilst drinking Spinach Smoooooooothies.

Best done whilst sitting at a workbench on which one also has some decent vans and tankers to weather for the above mentioned Milky Milky outfit.

U.N. Igate

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

CK, well done for putting the nay sayers in their place on the Scottyman thread. By gad some of those posters are quite like a huge arse plant are they not. I'm seriously tempted to go over there and put in my six pence worth.

P

Thanks.

I just don't know what their problem is, with some of them.

• RMweb Premium

Bernard Mills' book, Steam Around Plymouth (been out for years) has great pics of trains heading for Brent. Reproduction isn't brilliant but detail of stock is excellent. Happy to loan out if anyone wants to borrow it.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

I just don't know what their problem is, with some of them.

Diverticulitis and/or piles I suspect. Makes you quite annoying and angry at the same time I'm told. Oh, hang on............................ :rtfm:  :threaten: :ireful:   :blackeye:  :swoon:  :crazy:

• RMweb Gold

Diverticulitis and/or piles I suspect. Makes you quite annoying and angry at the same time I'm told. Oh, hang on............................ :rtfm:  :threaten: :ireful:   :blackeye:  :swoon:  :crazy:

I suspect Horrocksford fever.

Edited by Captain Kernow

I remember one summer day(school hols ?) there were two 9Fs in those sidings when I arrived; waiting up workings IIRC. Probably 1959/60. I remember those ancient vans and things and also the stuff down at Millbay where I hardly ever visited. Remember the turntable just west of the Station when the Millbay triangle was still there?

Phil

In my youth, I could never figure why there was a triangle and a turntable.  Presumably pathing problems was a likely reason but what intrigued me the most was the fact that virtually every engine had to be coaled which meant a trip to Laira where there was the same facilities.  Pathing again, as sometimes multiple engines coupled together departed.

We've strayed from Brent again!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Gold

In my youth, I could never figure why there was a triangle and a turntable.  Presumably pathing problems was a likely reason but what intrigued me the most was the fact that virtually every engine had to be coaled which meant a trip to Laira where there was the same facilities.  Pathing again, as sometimes multiple engines coupled together departed.

Brian.

One reason is as you intimate, I think Brian, to save paths on the running lines of the triangle.

One other reason is probably due to the length of time it would take to get to and from Laira, on and off shed etc. That is still a time-consuming activity today, and would probably incur more costs in the form of additional traincrew. If you can turn a loco round more quickly at the station, you might save on crews, and definitely save on unproductive locomotive diagram time.

• RMweb Premium

One reason is as you intimate, I think Brian, to save paths on the running lines of the triangle.

One other reason is probably due to the length of time it would take to get to and from Laira, on and off shed etc. That is still a time-consuming activity today, and would probably incur more costs in the form of additional traincrew. If you can turn a loco round more quickly at the station, you might save on crews, and definitely save on unproductive locomotive diagram time.

Way back there was coal available at that place (in the 'triangle') but it was really for small loco's as it was the wagon based/shovel it up style.

However, for 'Pilot' engines on quick turnaround, having just come from and just going back as far as Newflung Hallibutt, if they had the newer and larger capicity tenders they didn't need to go to Laira for coaling. Well that's what I think anyway. I only ever saw one loco being turned on that turntable and I think it (the turntable :nono: ) had gone by '62?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brian.

The main reason there was a triangle was to enable trains to/from the west to get to/from Millbay.  Partly a hangover from the days before North Road existed but also important right up the war years as many Saltash/Liskeard push-pull services terminated at Millbay.

• RMweb Gold

Way back there was coal available at that place (in the 'triangle') but it was really for small loco's as it was the wagon based/shovel it up style.

However, for 'Pilot' engines on quick turnaround, having just come from and just going back as far as Newflung Hallibutt, if they had the newer and larger capicity tenders they didn't need to go to Laira for coaling. Well that's what I think anyway. I only ever saw one loco being turned on that turntable and I think it (the turntable :nono: ) had gone by '62?

Phil

The turntable was still there in November 1960 but I doubt it lasted much longer.  I reckon it must have been fairly unique in being the only (?) turntable to be accessed via a double junction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I predicted  ;) , Hornby are releasing the Colletts in shirtbutton and maroon liveries.

attachicon.gifR4758_3283488_Qty1_cat1.jpg

attachicon.gifR4763_3283493_Qty1_cat1.jpg

I know, I have already placed an order for four of the latter with my 'local' model shop in Cornwall  (well I didn't really want yet another Compo did I).  I have a suspicion the putative Goytre Light Railway might be placing an order for a black Peckett as well - but with my slightly more local 'local' model shop which is a mere 30 miles away.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know, I have already placed an order for four of the latter with my 'local' model shop in Cornwall  (well I didn't really want yet another Compo did I).  I have a suspicion the putative Goytre Light Railway might be placing an order for a black Peckett as well - but with my slightly more local 'local' model shop which is a mere 30 miles away.

Due between April and June to help with your pension's budget. ;)

• RMweb Premium

I tried looking at the products but the Hornby site has imploded due to malicious comments on another thread causing it to self destruct. Pah. there are some miserable #### on this great Forum. I thought I was an ar$e but nothing compared to some of that lot.

Personally I'm just really glad Hornby are still here and looking like they should survive.

I shall see if Mr Muzz's site has regenerated itself.

Philth

• Like 1