A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Another of Andy's photos and a variation on the photo on the banner at the top of the page.This one feaures 4948 'Northwick Hall' on a westbound milk train.

attachicon.gif4948 and 5551.jpg

Copyright A York/BRM.

Out of interest, what sort of length are you running for your milk train?

Im in the process of trying to work out how  I am going to compress mine.

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, what sort of length are you running for your milk train?

Im in the process of trying to work out how I am going to compress mine.

There's a photo of it on Dainton with it with only six tanks and a van.Very modellable. Edited by gwrrob

I think I'm going to have a sit down now, with a cup of tea and a mince pie, and have a jolly good think about some modelling projects.

Just be very, very careful Captain......

post-20303-0-44888800-1483460372.jpeg

S. Urgeon

• RMweb Gold

There's a photo of it on Dainton with it with only six tanks and a van.Very modellable.

Sounds interesting, Could I ask where that was published?

Milk trains are definitely an area I need to research in a lot more detail. the 1947 photos I've seen so far of the service to / from London are very long (with a mix of 12 wheel tanks and road rail tanks).

I wonder if it was usually that short through Devon.

• RMweb Gold

Milk trains are definitely an area I need to research in a lot more detail. the 1947 photos I've seen so far of the service to / from London are very long (with a mix of 12 wheel tanks and road rail tanks).

Looking at the photo again and it's from BR days and features the first of two up services from Penzance which left at 12.35pm.It is a double header too [Hall/38xx] and also has a 'coden' gas tank wagon attached possibly dstined for Exeter gas depot or Swindon according to the caption.By 1946 a second service left PZ at 6.20 pm.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I think there was a bit of a restriction west of Newhen Harrbott with Tankers and quite a lot of milk trains had a lot of bogie vans instead; certainly a mix was usual and then further vans/tankers would have been added going east, e.g. at Totnes (yes I know that's west of NA) and Tiverton Junction. They probably then ran non stop for the rest of the trip?

The SR used more tankers AFAICT from investigations with trains almost doubling in size at both Seaton Junction and Chard. Down empties were quite heavy (long) trains.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree, I enjoyed the programme too.

Although you wouldn't think so if you read all the whinging moaning old farts on the TV programme thread.

Is it time for me to drop in on that and cause a 'stir'? I like causing mayhem.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
Another of Andy's photos and a variation on the photo on the banner at the top of the page.This one feaures 4948 'Northwick Hall' on a westbound milk train.

I've just been watching Andy York's tutorials (on this site) on stacking multiple, separately focussed, images to get the fantastic depth of focus that makes his images so realistic. The trouble is that most of my efforts look better out of focus but in Brent it's really worth the effort!

Edited by Limpley Stoker

• RMweb Gold

I've just been watching Andy York's tutorials (on this site) on stacking multiple, separately focussed, images to get the fantastic depth of focus that makes his images so realistic. The trouble is that most of my efforts look better out of focus but in Brent it really worth the effort!

Having a decent camera also helps.Have you a link please LS ?

• RMweb Gold

I think there was a bit of a restriction west of Newhen Harrbott with Tankers and quite a lot of milk trains had a lot of bogie vans instead; certainly a mix was usual and then further vans/tankers would have been added going east, e.g. at Totnes (yes I know that's west of NA) and Tiverton Junction. They probably then ran non stop for the rest of the trip?

The SR used more tankers AFAICT from investigations with trains almost doubling in size at both Seaton Junction and Chard. Down empties were quite heavy (long) trains.

Phil

That makes more sense, the photos I am looking at are down trains, and taken towards London (so containing stops along the route).

Looking at the photo again and it's from BR days and features the first of two up services from Penzance which left at 12.35pm.It is a double header too [Hall/38xx] and also has a 'coden' gas tank wagon attached possibly dstined for Exeter gas depot or Swindon according to the caption.By 1946 a second service left PZ at 6.20 pm.

Interesting, good way to fit in an unusual wagon.

Were they all of the 6 wheel variety or were any the road tanks?

I think I will model two 6 wagon rakes and combine them for the emptys

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That makes more sense, the photos I am looking at are down trains, and taken towards London (so containing stops along the route).

I remember that gas wagon at the front of nthe 'Milk' at Plymouth in the late 50s. That train, double headed and the 'mail' around the same time (also DH) usually rounded off my spotting day, sat on the wall near the Eye Hospital.

Oh dear, my head has travelled back to 1959/60/61/62.

Phil 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Rich, I think that is a sound idea - at the risk of stating the bl**ding obvious though, I would look at it the other way round, i.e. start with the longest train that will fit your loops for the Down empties and split that into two for the Up fulls (don't forget that each will need at least one passenger brake van).

• Like 2

Here ya go...

post-20303-0-11082600-1483470774.jpeg

Do be warned though, you could end up with brown fingers if you don't wear suitable gloves !

Ask my Bro, Mide about that :))

Vic Torian

• Like 1

I remember that gas wagon at the front of nthe 'Milk' at Plymouth in the late 50s. That train, double headed and the 'mail' around the same time (also DH) usually rounded off my spotting day, sat on the wall near the Eye Hospital.

Oh dear, my head has travelled back to 1959/60/61/62.

Phil 

Hi Phil, a couple of your comments have stirred my memory (It needs stirring these days!) and I recall a gas wagon parked by 'the lane' at North Road at frequent intervals.  Also on one of the sidings close by, there were invariably milk tankers from somewhere.  Under the bridge, there was usually an Engineering coach with prominent bell.  Never seemed to move but other than that, never seen any other stock there.  In todays station layout there seem to be a couple of useless sidings by 'your' wall where once they held waiting locos

Brian.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

There are a few topics under 'focus stacking' but Andy's tutorial is found at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84168-whats-involved-with-processing-an-image-for-the-magazine/?p=1403993

That looks a bit long, but I copied and pasted it from the 'share' box !

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil, a couple of your comments have stirred my memory (It needs stirring these days!) and I recall a gas wagon parked by 'the lane' at North Road at frequent intervals.  Also on one of the sidings close by, there were invariably milk tankers from somewhere.  Under the bridge, there was usually an Engineering coach with prominent bell.  Never seemed to move but other than that, never seen any other stock there.  In todays station layout there seem to be a couple of useless sidings by 'your' wall where once they held waiting locos

Brian.

Brian.

I remember one summer day(school hols ?) there were two 9Fs in those sidings when I arrived; waiting up workings IIRC. Probably 1959/60. I remember those ancient vans and things and also the stuff down at Millbay where I hardly ever visited. Remember the turntable just west of the Station when the Millbay triangle was still there?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Remember the turntable just west of the Station when the Millbay triangle was still there?

There are some good photos of that area in the new Bernard Mills book - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118069-backtracking-around-millbay-saltash-and-the-tamar/

Edited by Captain Kernow