A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

ADW 16 will be gracing North Cranford, along with that large logo OPEN C.

I have watched the footage a few times - is that a very well turned out unlined 4-6-0 at the beginning?  I can't tell the type/ number - streaming video is extremely tough to do here.

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

I think DS 1580 is actually still with us, at the Mid Hants, however I can not be sure it is the original without checking and I CBA at the moment...sorry.

If the new Baccy one is suitable, I suspect there will have been an 'incident' at SOSJ whilst a B.P. was shunting the Down Yard that will require the use of said 'beast'.

N. Aughtytrainfelloffthetracks.

I vaguely remember a breakdown train derailing in Frome -on the way to a derailment. That would be the late 1980s and presumably the crane would have come from Swindon. I had hoped there was one based in Bristol or Westbury so it could trundle through my Limpley Stoke set in the '30s..... Edited by Limpley Stoker

Guest 7007GreatWestern

ADW 16 will be gracing North Cranford, along with that large logo OPEN C.

I have watched the footage a few times - is that a very well turned out unlined 4-6-0 at the beginning?  I can't tell the type/ number - streaming video is extremely tough to do here.

Hi MIB,

My eyesight is pretty good. In believe it is 5008 "Raglan Castle" in early postwar livery without lining.

I did a quick Google search to check. I found this rather splendid view of Raglan Castle on the "home trainer" at Swindon.

http://www.swindonviewpoint.com/content/gwr-locomotive-raglan-castle

Like the loco in the video, it has the "Vauxhall" inside cylinder cover, so there is a good chance they are one and the same. The photo taken on the "home trainer" appears to be have taken during the war as the cab side window is plated over. This had been removed by the time the film was made, suggesting that it was shot shortly after the end of hostilities.

Andy.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Further circumstantial evidence: 5008 was an Old Oak Common engine from 1939 until October 1949 according to BRDatabase.info.

Andy.

Going back to the previous page and the possibility of the Austin Seven appearing at Brent, I wondered if Day trippers would be likely to arrive by coach?

If so, would either of these two be likely, in ANTB's time frame, to have braved the West Country's hills and lanes?

post-136-0-58717500-1483370541_thumb.jpg

The Left-hand one is a Corgi "Bedford Bus" made in Great Britain... according to the chassis. Legend on both sides "Eastern National"... no registration plate

The Right hand red and cream is a Lledo Promotional model, made in England, with no other Chassis details.. again, no registration plate

Livery shows "Lakeside tours" 

Can the cognicenti here identify the prototype? and the years when they graced our roads ?

I have found both in other liveries on offer on ebay mostly below £6. 

Edited by DonB

• RMweb Gold

Her predecessor was Mr Anthony 'And Why Shouldn't the British Public Fund my Moat?' Steen, known to his friends as R. Sole.

He must have been demoated

as a result of his expenses scandal

• RMweb Gold

I think DS 1580 is actually still with us, at the Mid Hants, however I can not be sure it is the original without checking and I CBA at the moment...sorry.

If the new Baccy one is suitable, I suspect there will have been an 'incident' at SOSJ whilst a B.P. was shunting the Down Yard that will require the use of said 'beast'.

N. Aughtytrainfelloffthetracks. 

Indeed DS 1580 is on the Mid Hants http://www.watercressline.co.uk/article.php/125/ransome-rapier-45-ton-steam-crane-ds1580 As stated by Mike although essentially the same as the GWR 4 cranes from the same batch their were detail differences in the steps and tool boxes.

I have built from a Wild Boar models 3D printed kit as per below (although I still need to get round to finishing the rigging)

post-243-0-21819900-1483375085_thumb.jpg

I hope to obtain further information on the progress on the Bachmann version when I am with them on Sunday.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well its back to work tomorrow for some of us after the Christmas and new year break.What about this photo to gladden our hearts as we see another of Andy's shots and another favourite of mine, 4582 on the estuary wall with some vans.

attachicon.gif4582 estuary.jpg

Copyright  A.York/BRM.

It was a toss up between a like or a friendly and supportive, the like won for Andy's superb photo of the 45, the friendly is for some of you having to go back to w***.

• RMweb Gold

I've just been watching Michael Portillo travelling on a train being hauled by an engine from some railway called the 'LNER'. Anyone ever heard of it?

We've been watching Michael Clemens video on the great western. There was a millisecond glimpse of Brent with a warship being towed by a Castle - at least that's why I assume the warship was coupled inside

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've just been watching Michael Portillo travelling on a train being hauled by an engine from some railway called the 'LNER'. Anyone ever heard of it?

Always Late, Never Early apparently.....Used to name their engines after ducks and other foul objects.

In order to go quick they had to take off half the carriages and go downhill.....All that teak. Very heavy. And they were short of money. For example, their coaches used to have to share bogies...not enough for two each by all accounts. They even made some of their coaches to look like beavers......What sort of things went on in those one can only wonder at!!!!

Even had an odd way of numbering their platforms.....I mean who has ever heard of a station having Platform 9 and three quarters....no wonder they used to say 'the King's Cross!'......Bloody livid no doubt!!

Very silly..

Rob

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At the outbreak of WWII Brent's doctor was Dr. Rolf Creasy.

Common vehicles seen in the Ivybridge /Brent  area belonged to J. Hoare and Sons of Park Street Ivybridge. They owned the only taxi in the area and also operated 'Ivy Coaches'. The firm was known for having a Rolls Royce which was hired, each year, by a vicar in Ivybridge, Rev Malcolm Campbell and the local doctor, Dr Oldacre to be driven on fishing trips to Scotland.

Mike Wiltshire

Surely Malcolm Campbell would have driven it himself to save time?

B. Luebird.

• RMweb Premium

Judging by Bachmann's original release notes it will be a model of the 45 ton Ransomes & Rapier crane supplied to the GWR and SR as part of Air Raid precautions being ordered in 1939.  Similar cranes but with detail differences were also subsequently supplied to the LNER, MOS, and SR being delivered later in the war.

The GWR had 4 cranes delivered in August & September 1940 and their allocations were as follows -

ADW 16, Old Oak Common from new, transferred to Swindon January 1979.

RS1097/45 Stafford Road from new, transferred to LMR ownership  (possibly carried painted number ADW 17 but not confirmed)

ADW 18 Canton from new, transferred to Laira in 1963, Landore 1965 -79, Old Oak 1979 - 83

ADW 19 Bristol from new, transferred to Swindon 1942 -48, finished up at Laira 1984 - 86.

Note SR crane DS 1580 went new to Exmouth Jcn in 1945 and remained there until late 1964 when it transferred to Newton Abbot thence to Laira in 1969.  This crane had some differences in detail from the earlier batch and was specifically allocated to Exmouth Jcn in order to deal with Bulleid pacifics.  Because of the way cranes were shared for assistance it is not impossible that this crane could have passed through Brent while in SR ownership.

That's my understanding too, which is why I want one to remind me of my time at Brighton Lovers' Walk.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was worth watching it (FS) being driven on the SVR with their own crew, with the driver providing an understated commentary. The green looked the right colour too! Thank you BBC!

Edited by Limpley Stoker

• RMweb Premium

Always Late, Never Early apparently.....Used to name their engines after ducks and other foul objects.

In order to go quick they had to take off half the carriages and go downhill.....All that teak. Very heavy. And they were short of money. For example, their coaches used to have to share bogies...not enough for two each by all accounts. They even made some of their coaches to look like beavers......What sort of things went on in those one can only wonder at!!!!

Even had an odd way of numbering their platforms.....I mean who has ever heard of a station having Platform 9 and three quarters....no wonder they used to say 'the King's Cross!'......Bloody livid no doubt!!

Very silly..

Rob

Ar$e (60540)?

Quackers, (45710) :angel:

It was worth watching it (FS) being driven on the SVR with their own crew, with the driver providing an understated commentary. The green looked the right colour too! Thank you BBC!

I agree, I enjoyed the programme too.

Although you wouldn't think so if you read all the whinging moaning old farts on the TV programme thread.