A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Did GPs really drive around in such modest wheels back then? Not many years later our GP - he attended my birth, and was Sherry's doc, too - drove around in a Jag. He was Dr John Partridge, and his reg no was JRP47.

In 1947 Pre-nationalised GP's had to wait a couple of years for their favoured car- the Triumph Mayflower. I wonder if an Austin 7 would be sturdy enough for Dartmoor in the depths of winter- perhaps his second car was a Mk1 Land Rover,.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But what is a Liverpool registered car doing at Brent? That's a hell of a house call for the good doctor!

He worked at Cammell Laird and later moved to the tranquility of the South Hams for the slower pace of life.

• RMweb Gold

But what is a Liverpool registered car doing at Brent? That's a hell of a house call for the good doctor!

He worked at Cammell Laird and later moved to the tranquility of the South Hams for the slower pace of life.

Perhaps he's moved from Cammell Laird to Devonport? The Doctor bit is a cover story for the fact he's doing remedial repairs on HMS Troutbridge following its less than successful refit. More probably he's a shrink given the issues HMS Troutbridge's crew has!

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps he's moved from Cammell Laird to Devonport? The Doctor bit is a cover story for the fact he's doing remedial repairs on HMS Troutbridge following its less than successful refit. More probably he's a shrink given the issues HMS Troutbridge's crew has!

I expect that Cuthbertson is involved in all this rather shady tale, somewhere along the line. I wouldn't be surprised if some German Fifth Columnists had been found hiding in Farmer Whelk's barn during the early years of the war, no doubt eventually caught by the inadvertant antics of four pesky kids and a dog.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did GPs really drive around in such modest wheels back then? Not many years later our GP - he attended my birth, and was Sherry's doc, too - drove around in a Jag. He was Dr John Partridge, and his reg no was JRP47.

In my experience Doctor's were way above the little Austin 7 - a medical student's motor rather than a GP's I reckon.

Now for some little titbits, maybe -

A fair point, and very useful (particularly when Bachmann get their crane out...)

My spy network have informed me that it is going to be an absolute cracker - I wonder if we'll see a decorated EP later this month

A beautiful loco, very elegant. Can't be beaten, as proven in 1948!

And back in my 'Shedmaster' days I had a very pleasant chat with a retired Driver - 'Billy' Wells, the very man who drove the one in the 1948 exchanges although quite a young man at the time but always spoken of by those who fired for him as an exceptional Driver.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115844-gwr-b-set-destination-boards/

Long time followers may remember Rich [Fatadder] and I discussing these.Fitted them this morning.John Peck at Precision Labels printed them for me.

attachicon.gifB set DB.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9867.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9868.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9870.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9871.jpg

very nice they look too, as soon as I have the roofs painted on my second b set I will be placing an order for some to finish mine off. It's a small detail, but it really helps!

My spy network have informed me that it is going to be an absolute cracker - I wonder if we'll see a decorated EP later this month.

Sounds good, then will need to sort out some support coaches....

I guess the real question is whether that particular diagram or crane can be justified in Devon.....

• RMweb Gold

A good evening chaps and another one of Andy Y's gorgeous shots,this time 3864.

attachicon.gifA Nod to Brent.jpg

Courtesy BRM.

Also I need a seated driver for this new addition.I feel it could belong to the local doctor and he'll need a name of course.Any suggestions for both.It will also need weathering similar to Rob's 'Murray' on WD.

attachicon.gifAustin 7.jpeg

I knew of a Dr De'ath and a Dr Reckless. The best was a Dr Harding-Rains, known behind his back as 'raining hard'

Perhaps you could ask Dr Wollaston of that parish who her predecessors were- there must be one funny name for our titillation!

• Like 2

At the outbreak of WWII Brent's doctor was Dr. Rolf Creasy.

Common vehicles seen in the Ivybridge /Brent  area belonged to J. Hoare and Sons of Park Street Ivybridge. They owned the only taxi in the area and also operated 'Ivy Coaches'. The firm was known for having a Rolls Royce which was hired, each year, by a vicar in Ivybridge, Rev Malcolm Campbell and the local doctor, Dr Oldacre to be driven on fishing trips to Scotland.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A Doctor from Brent called Rolf Creasy

Was asked why his hands were so greasy,

I confess then, he said

I've been in my shed,

Now my locos run so much more easy.

I rest my case for Dr Creasy in the Austin Seven : he would have a bigger car had he not spent so much money at Basset Lowke

• Like 4

I knew of a Dr De'ath and a Dr Reckless. The best was a Dr Harding-Rains, known behind his back as 'raining hard'

Perhaps you could ask Dr Wollaston of that parish who her predecessors were- there must be one funny name for our titillation!

We have a Mrs De'ath working at the Registrars Office,

she recorded all 4 of my children's births.

We also, at our local surgery, have a Dr. Savage!,

he's a nice chap though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds good, then will need to sort out some support coaches....

I guess the real question is whether that particular diagram or crane can be justified in Devon.....

Judging by Bachmann's original release notes it will be a model of the 45 ton Ransomes & Rapier crane supplied to the GWR and SR as part of Air Raid precautions being ordered in 1939.  Similar cranes but with detail differences were also subsequently supplied to the LNER, MOS, and SR being delivered later in the war.

The GWR had 4 cranes delivered in August & September 1940 and their allocations were as follows -

ADW 16, Old Oak Common from new, transferred to Swindon January 1979.

RS1097/45 Stafford Road from new, transferred to LMR ownership  (possibly carried painted number ADW 17 but not confirmed)

ADW 18 Canton from new, transferred to Laira in 1963, Landore 1965 -79, Old Oak 1979 - 83

ADW 19 Bristol from new, transferred to Swindon 1942 -48, finished up at Laira 1984 - 86.

Note SR crane DS 1580 went new to Exmouth Jcn in 1945 and remained there until late 1964 when it transferred to Newton Abbot thence to Laira in 1969.  This crane had some differences in detail from the earlier batch and was specifically allocated to Exmouth Jcn in order to deal with Bulleid pacifics.  Because of the way cranes were shared for assistance it is not impossible that this crane could have passed through Brent while in SR ownership.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Judging by Bachmann's original release notes it will be a model of the 45 ton Ransomes & Rapier crane supplied to the GWR and SR as part of Air Raid precautions being ordered in 1939.  Similar cranes but with detail differences were also subsequently supplied to the LNER, MOS, and SR being delivered later in the war.

The GWR had 4 cranes delivered in August & September 1940 and their allocations were as follows -

ADW 16, Old Oak Common from new, transferred to Swindon January 1979.

RS1097/45 Stafford Road from new, transferred to LMR ownership  (possibly carried painted number ADW 17 but not confirmed)

ADW 18 Canton from new, transferred to Laira in 1963, Landore 1965 -79, Old Oak 1979 - 83

ADW 19 Bristol from new, transferred to Swindon 1942 -48, finished up at Laira 1984 - 86.

Note SR crane DS 1580 went new to Exmouth Jcn in 1945 and remained there until late 1964 when it transferred to Newton Abbot thence to Laira in 1969.  This crane had some differences in detail from the earlier batch and was specifically allocated to Exmouth Jcn in order to deal with Bulleid pacifics.  Because of the way cranes were shared for assistance it is not impossible that this crane could have passed through Brent while in SR ownership.

I think DS 1580 is actually still with us, at the Mid Hants, however I can not be sure it is the original without checking and I CBA at the moment...sorry.

If the new Baccy one is suitable, I suspect there will have been an 'incident' at SOSJ whilst a B.P. was shunting the Down Yard that will require the use of said 'beast'.

N. Aughtytrainfelloffthetracks. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Her predecessor was Mr Anthony 'And Why Shouldn't the British Public Fund my Moat?' Steen, known to his friends as R. Sole.

Edited by Captain Kernow