A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I'm getting round to painting the little detail on my station building but I've come unstuck on the stand colour that holds the fire buckets.I see the buckets are red but I thought the stand was light stone but can't find a photo shewing this.A lot with placed on a red plank with hooks but Brent had a proper stand but I can't believe it was all red.

Despite the support I got on your other thread, from another RMWebber, that the stand would be painted white with black metal work I got increasingly uneasy...........

Tv was rubbish the other night...surprise!.....so I did some rudimentary research and googled "GWR Fire Buckets"

Quite a few hits.....almost all preservation railways.....they were painted red with the letters GWR FIRE in black.....I will give the lettering a miss I think.

The only stands were of the single red painted plank variety with black hooks.

I then skimmed through my favourite reference books: Stephen William's Branch Line Modelling, CJ Gammell's GWR Branch Lines and Paul Karau's Branch Line Terminii.

Amazing.......Fire points/stands were almost as rare as hen's teeth.......lots of photos of places where ,as a modeller, you would put one....not a glimpse.

All I found was in Paul Karau's book......Hemyock Page 69       under the Ground Frame shed window  6 unattached fire buckets

Moretonhampstead Pages 86 87 88    a stand very similar to your (our!) Dart castings stand

The photos are B&W circa 1957.......its all a bit run down.

The stand appears to be painted a dark colour (definitely not white) which looks similar to the 

buckets that are hung thereon.

In the light of this if I were painting my stands again I would paint them red with black hooks........not sure if this helps......but thats my bid.

If you havent got a copy of Paul Karaus book PM me with you email address and I will scan the photos for you

Regards from a very damp Vancouver.

John

• RMweb Premium

Despite the support I got on your other thread, from another RMWebber, that the stand would be painted white with black metal work I got increasingly uneasy...........

Tv was rubbish the other night...surprise!.....so I did some rudimentary research and googled "GWR Fire Buckets"

Quite a few hits.....almost all preservation railways.....they were painted red with the letters GWR FIRE in black.....I will give the lettering a miss I think.

I then skimmed through my favourite reference books: Stephen William's Branch Line Modelling, CJ Gammell's GWR Branch Lines and Paul Karau's Branch Line Terminii.

Amazing.......Fire points/stands were almost as rare as hen's teeth.......lots of photos of places where ,as a modeller, you would put one....not a glimpse.

All I found was in Paul Karau's book......Hemyock Page 69       under the Ground Frame shed window  6 unattached fire buckets

Moretonhampstead Pages 86 87 88    a stand very similar to your (our!) Dart castings stand

The photos are B&W circa 1957.......its all a bit run down.

The stand appears to be painted a dark colour (definitely not white) which looks similar to the 

buckets that are hung thereon.

In the light of this if I were painting my stands again I would paint them red with black hooks........not sure if this helps......but thats my bid.

If you havent got a copy of Paul Karaus book PM me with you email address and I will scan the photos for you

Regards from a very damp Vancouver.

John

There will be papers somewhere (NRM/Steam/Didcot/someone's loft?) where the instructions/plans for production/ construction/assembly/ painting will exist. 

If you CBA to search them out then you have more patience than Geoff Boycott in his playing days.

Good luck (fun though isn't it)

Phil

• RMweb Gold

At this time of year it will come from the East.....

Yes,probably China.

Thanks John and I'd already tried that search myself.

• RMweb Premium

There will be papers somewhere (NRM/Steam/Didcot/someone's loft?) where the instructions/plans for production/ construction/assembly/ painting will exist. 

If you CBA to search them out then you have more patience than Geoff Boycott in his playing days.

Good luck (fun though isn't it)

Phil

Chris Tavaré?

• RMweb Gold

I love the way this thread just goes off at tangent after tangent, at the moment it's all about Pork Pies, Cricket, oh, and something to do with the Great Western: Churchward's Star Class 4-6-0s. Mad!

Keep up the randomness!

Glenn - darn saaf

Have your ticket to hand for this weekend's Santa Special.I bought a ticket to the world but now I've come back again.

Mornington Crescent.................................. :locomotive:

Noddy Holder.

Kennington Oval...

The one time in my life that I've been properly ill was just before Christmas of 1980 or 81. I was laid low with nettle rash (of all the silly things to have) and couldn't get out of bed for a week. The worst thing was I had tickets to see Slade's Christmas show at Snozzle Coliseum.

Gutted!  :sad_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Mornington Crescent.................................. :locomotive:

Noddy Holder.

At the risk of seeming controversial.........Totteridge and Whetstone.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Although I'm a relatively youngster on this thread I would have loved to have asked Santa for one of these at the Christmas of 1957.Did anyone on here actually have one as a child.

post-126-0-16512800-1449773557.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 7

Although I'm a relatively youngster on this thread I would have loved to have asked Santa for one of these at the Christmas of 1957.Did anyone on here actually have one as a child.

attachicon.gif380px-Hornby-Dublo_Bristolian_Train_Set_EDP20_(MM_1957-12).jpeg

No, but I had a friend who did. It was hard not to show my disappointment when my brother and I were given the 8F Freight set. It wasn't even green!

• RMweb Premium

I had the Bristol Castle set as a child in the 70s.    I also had  a 1947 Sir Nigel (in the light blue box) and tons and tons of track and points..    4 or 5 BR(W) coaches and loads of wagons, both tin and plastic, as well as Triang stuff.  I could also run my Hornby wagons and coaches on the track too.

MIB Snr had been buying this lot since the late 40s as a child and teenager.   He stopped my from playing with it all when he saw the prices of HD in the ads in the back of RM mags!!!!    By then I had discovered girls and rugby and beer and it all went into the loft.   

A few years ago MIB Snr handed my the boxes of HD.  I have since remagged Bristol Castle, Sir Nigel and the 0-6-2 tank.  They all get an airing from time to time and run beautifully, but so noisily compared to modern stuff.  Especially a rake of tin coaches andvans on the tin track pulled by a cast engine.

I hope every child who wishes for a trainset this Christmas gets one.  The hobby has brought me thousands of hours of enjoyment and study and crafting and painting.

Edited by M.I.B

Yup. The 'Castle' looks great at time. In fact it was good enough to scale up with lost wax slidebars and rods, new boiler fittings, new inside cylinder cover, Romfords and a repaint.  Westward Models and i did a fair few using unwanted 3-rail Castles until the wheeler-dealers cottoned onto the fact that there was money to be made out of model railways by merely handling the goods. They had already done it with Dinky Toys.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Reckon most did until they were poked fun at by the 'adults' in the hobby as 'playing' trains, instead of 'running a miniature railway' or whatever comparable reason!

Brian.