A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Tidying up my old slides again today, and reached this happier time in the dukedog's life in May 1983

attachicon.gif2146.jpg

attachicon.gif2156.jpg

Photo I've found in my father's old album.  Hopefully it's one he actually took rather than one of the post cards / random images that are also in there.  There is a good photo of 7007 in the album about to leave Paddington in the early 60s on "The Cathedrals Express" that I've found a near identical version of on the web.  Photo is labelled as Machynlleth and I suspect it is 1961 or 1962.  Also a sadder photo of 9004 stored awaiting its fate.  Apologies in advance for photo / scan quality.  I'm no expert with photoshop!

I have a slight fascination with service pictures of engines subsequently preserved.  I think it is the contrast to the polished, heavily cared for image you tend to see on the preserved lines.  There's quite a well known one of 5043 in filthy condition that I like.

David

post-22698-0-65021000-1446321219_thumb.jpgpost-22698-0-83948800-1446321206_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

A good reminder of the mucky conditions around a shed, rarely modelled.

Brian.

Watch this space Brian.......I am doing a small shed diorama/inglenook/photo plank for North Cranford before I dive in proper.

The will for a proper scruffy mucky ash covered shed is there, let's see if my abilities match...........

• RMweb Gold

Lytch gate cut into the old section of wall would suggest the church is behind you in the operating well

You would have thought so, Colin, but that is actually only a graveyard beyond the lytch gate. The actual church of St Petrocs is on the down side of the line, just to the west of the bridge we've been discussing, and set back some way from the railway itself.

Saw this item for sale in a local antique shop advertised as a GWR cast iron plate.Anyone have any idea what it was used for.It was about 8 inch square. £35.

attachicon.gifIMG_4077.jpg

I was thinking about letting you borrow this Rob, but on second thoughts I don't think you'd have a baseboard left if I lifted onto Brent !

post-20303-0-85384800-1446329679_thumb.jpeg

For what it's worth, whilst I think a few Poplars would be excellent I'm all for mixing it up a bit with trees. Unless there was ever a "formal" planting of trees Mother Nature never regimented anything so with a little thought and modellers license anything goes when it looks right.

Cheers for now :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Photo I've found in my father's old album.  Hopefully it's one he actually took rather than one of the post cards / random images that are also in there.  There is a good photo of 7007 in the album about to leave Paddington in the early 60s on "The Cathedrals Express" that I've found a near identical version of on the web.  Photo is labelled as Machynlleth and I suspect it is 1961 or 1962.  Also a sadder photo of 9004 stored awaiting its fate.  Apologies in advance for photo / scan quality.  I'm no expert with photoshop!

I have a slight fascination with service pictures of engines subsequently preserved.  I think it is the contrast to the polished, heavily cared for image you tend to see on the preserved lines.  There's quite a well known one of 5043 in filthy condition that I like.

David

attachicon.gifDukedog 9017 at Machynlleth.jpgattachicon.gifDukedog 9004.jpg

9017 was withdrawn shortly after the end of the summer timetable in 1960 - and during a holiday at Aberdovey that year I had dragged my (fairly willing) father around various places looking for it only to be told it had been there a couple of days earlier.  So we were off on our way (not to home but north east to somewhere else) on the Up CCE for the first part of our journey and when the portions were joined at Dovey Jcn what should back onto the train engine but 9017 as assistant engine.  It duly assisted front up to Talerddig where it came off and I got an appalling end of film photo (only of a bit of it alas) as we moved off.

So I actually had a run behind the last 'Dukedog' in BR use in its final months in service and I presume it was put into store pending withdrawal at the end of the summer service.  The other two survivors had been withdrawn in June that year although I believe 9004 might have done a bit of work that year prior to withdrawal.  It was the usual practice by then to store the 'Dukedogs' outside the summer service period.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In early August 1961 I travelled to a schoolboys' camp near Pwllheli. We were in two special coaches attached to a Birkenhead train, King hauled off Paddington. After Shrewsbury, still with its overall roof, we were detached at Ruabon and attached to the rear of a Pwllheli train, which was double headed. The train stopped for a loco change at Morfa Mawddach and the spotters on board, mostly from my school, persuaded the supervising staff to allow a couple of boys to go forward to get the numbers. They came back delighted that one of the locos coming off was a Dukedog, 9017. I doubt if they were having a wind-up as one was a personal friend from my home town. I couldn't afford to buy Trains Illustrated or Railway Magazine in those days and I doubt if many of us could, so we weren't aware it was officially withdrawn. I have since seen a mention, possibly in Railway Magazine in the '80s/early 90s, that it was used occasionally at peak traffic periods in the summer of '61.

Before anyone says it, the year was definitely 1961 and it was a weekday, probably Wednesday, in the first week of August.

I've always been intrigued by this, ever since I discovered  a year or so later that  it was withdrawn at the time.

Pete

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In early August 1961 I travelled to a schoolboys' camp near Pwllheli. We were in two special coaches attached to a Birkenhead train, King hauled off Paddington. After Shrewsbury, still with its overall roof, we were detached at Ruabon and attached to the rear of a Pwllheli train, which was double headed. The train stopped for a loco change at Morfa Mawddach and the spotters on board, mostly from my school, persuaded the supervising staff to allow a couple of boys to go forward to get the numbers. They came back delighted that one of the locos coming off was a Dukedog, 9017. I doubt if they were having a wind-up as one was a personal friend from my home town. I couldn't afford to buy Trains Illustrated or Railway Magazine in those days and I doubt if many of us could, so we weren't aware it was officially withdrawn. I have since seen a mention, possibly in Railway Magazine in the '80s/early 90s, that it was used occasionally at peak traffic periods in the summer of '61.

Before anyone says it, the year was definitely 1961 and it was a weekday, probably Wednesday, in the first week of August.

I've always been intrigued by this, ever since I discovered  a year or so later that  it was withdrawn at the time.

Pete

The interesting thing is that it didn't go to the Bluebell until, I think, 1962  (I've an idea that one source even states 1963, most say 1962).  Equally there is some confusion over where it was withdrawn from with at least one source quoting Oswestry while others quote Machynlleth - which at least matches the shedplate and is where it was in 1960.  I have always presumed that following withdrawal it clearly went into store and not for scrap and it is not at all unlikely that it was shifted from Machynlleth to the District HQ shed (or even the works?) at Oswestry for storage. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough, I brought my cordylines out of the wardrobe this morning due to a chill in the air. Most satisfactory they were to.

Rob

• Like 1