A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
brianusa, on 13 Oct 2015 - 21:02, said:

Sometimes I think some of you guys are too hard on train models.  In my OO period if I had a County like that, I wouldn't have been aware these problems and enjoyed it just the way it was.  But I do understand those who want perfection and their enjoyment achieving that happy state.

Brian.

Blame the information explosion, Brian. We now know much more - or at least have access to - information about almost everything under the sun. That begets a certain attitude among people who wish that the model was that bit better. The real pros go away and make it so, of course.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As Robin has bought a new chimney for 7804 I thought I'd share a couple of images from the Warwickshire Railways website.  

Here's 7818 G-g-g-g-g-granville Manor in 1939 at Tyseley Shed showing the original style chimney:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt309.htm

Here she is again in 1956 with modified chimney showing the rolled up sheet in the cab roof to protect the crew in adverse weather:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrhj104.htm

It looks as if the splashers had a brass beading in GWR times looking at the first photo but does the cab window have a brass surround?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1338/entry-16766-to-the-manor-bornresurrection-of-an-old-friend/

Mark is too modest to blow his own euphonium so here's the link to his Manor mods.As there's no new model in the offing I bought the DMR chimney at the Gaydon show, so watch this space for mine on 7804 soon.

• Like 2

Further to the 'County', the 'Hall' has the same wheelbase although its bogie is a 1mm too short for a County and it has near correct cylinders (the Bachmann Modified Halls cylinder are correct but this would be an expensive marriage). A shame Hornby didn't mount the body on its Orton Hall DCC Ready chassis therefore.

• RMweb Gold

Looking very nice......had a look back over the juniper hill thread.......very nice

post-14122-0-17886400-1444775763.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening!

While trawling through my holiday snapshots I happened upon this one:

attachicon.gifVale of Rheidol Railway.jpg

Perhaps not in the same league as the big boys, but still GWR!

(Vale of Rheidol Railway)

Has the VoR gone over to air brakes? I don't remeber seeing a Westinghouse pump on the front when I visited in the '70s

• RMweb Gold

The eldest daughter has been sacked by The Samaritans.Apparently some bloke phoned up and said he was lying on a railway track waiting for a train to come.My daughter made the mistake of saying remain calm and stay on the line.

The eldest daughter has been sacked by The Samaritans.Apparently some bloke phoned up and said he was lying on a railway track waiting for a train to come.My daughter made the mistake of saying remain calm and stay on the line.

I heard he was lying on ANTB track and any fool knows that trains only run on ANTB at the weekend so he was in no immediate danger whatsoever. Your daughter should be reinstated forthwith.

• RMweb Gold

I heard he was lying on ANTB track and any fool knows that trains only run on ANTB at the weekend so he was in no immediate danger whatsoever. Your daughter should be reinstated forthwith.

You know I only work to requests and I've not had any for a while.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Rob but I need to plant a blatant OT request to Larry as he reads this lot of #######!

Larry, just over two years ago you produced thispost-2326-0-14060900-1444913780.jpg

By any chance did it get tucked away somewhere and you would now be able to sell it to me as it is no longer relevant to your layout?

Many thanks,

Phil

• Like 2