A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Let me defend my beloved Wales:

attachicon.gifTraeth Penllech -1.jpg

View towards Treath Penllech this summer, on the Llynn peninsula (not that far from Barmouth as the crow flies..)

attachicon.gifTraeth Penllech -2.jpg

And on the beach itself: Glorious sunshine, beach activities, scantily clad ladies. what more could one want?

which puts in a somewhat awkward position: (not to mention hijacking Rob's tread..)

Sorry Larry, some tourists just won't stop coming  :dontknow:

And a bit of balance:

June on the Snowdon Railway

post-12721-0-40202600-1444674483_thumb.jpg

August on the Ffestiniog

post-12721-0-30480700-1444674498_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Brings to mind the old weathering forecasting adage in North Wales "if you can't see Snowdon , it is raining; if you can see Snowdon, it's going to rain"

Now then, from your avatar you might be able to clear up a question that bothered me at Gaydon. The central area surrounding the two "exhausts" - black or copper?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now then, from your avatar you might be able to clear up a question that bothered me at Gaydon. The central area surrounding the two "exhausts" - black or copper?

Good question Colin and as we were looking at the Golden Age Models stand yesterday, their version gives no information either.

post-126-0-61843400-1444675917_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the close ups of the picture, I'd say it was copper but not 100%. They were on the ground outside the refreshment cafe at Didcot. Perhaps one of the GWS volunteers on here can confirm?

As an aside, Rob's photo above shows it to a certain extent, but Captain Kernow's pannier photo shows a massive variation in the green

• RMweb Premium

It's not just cast  iron.  Other railway companies perhaps.

But that is the finest quality, moulded and fettled ferrous mixture of perfect proportion, designed by geni-i, and made by craftsmen, and maintained with affection and experience by trained hands of the highest skill set......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit more Great Westernry (with apologies for the blue item at the back):

attachicon.gifIMG_2390.JPG

The weathering on that pannier is really cr*p. Looks like some lady has misfired with her powder puff box thingy (no sniggering at the back) whilst standing on a footbridge as the tanky trundled underneath (still no sniggering.....)

Ducky.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

The weathering on that pannier is really cr*p. Looks like some lady has misfired with her powder puff box thingy (no sniggering at the back) whilst standing on a footbridge as the tanky trundled underneath (still no sniggering.....)

Ducky.

The culprits were later located in the waiting room at Brent. Must say it appears that the Finching sisters have looked better. The late night gin parties at the vicarage are taking their toll.........

Rob

post-14122-0-86138200-1444728216.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't like it. I love it... :tender:

And that one is in the right livery but I wonder when the front buffers were changed?  And it's a mere (haha) £1,250 - definitely a printing press job to get hold of one of those.  However having seen a Golden Age A4 performing considerably less than faultlessly I seriously wonder if it's meant to be run or showed off.

Now as we're in the vicinity of the Cambrian how about this piece of nonsense  (approaching Aberdovey for those who don't recognise it)

post-6859-0-94512900-1444729689_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

1) In the Kernow Models weekly newsletter this week, they say they're having a delivery of a new Hornby County (4-6-0) - is this a new model or simply the old Airfix one?

Further to this question, Rails of Sheffield have sent an email with an illustration of the 'County'. The base of the boiler has a segment in it to make the boiler whole. The base of the firebox needs tapering and the cab needs lowering. The chimney is tall and looks to represent the original, not the low one fitted later. Slide Bars and crosshead are black plastic like on the Large Prairie and the angle of the cylinders is too flat. As with many Railroad models, lining is simplified and consists of the orange lines with no inner black although the boiler bands are correctly orange and black. Brake rigging might be in an accessory pack  -  there was none visible on the photos.

Seeing as a revamp is out of sight, I think it would be one of those winter night detailing projects......It looks an attractive proposition for the price and I have to admit I am tempted even though I swore i wouldnt never need anything larger than a 'Hall'.........Pssst, anyone know who does a short double chimney for the County?

post-6680-0-58882500-1444761535.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

It cost a packet to jack the Ricoh Arena up and move it 50 meters.........but plenty of room for a station in that stand when Coventry F.C. are at home but not sure "London" Wasps are that pleased about it with their larger crowds.

post-9751-0-39724900-1444761665.jpg

Edited by cary hill

Sometimes I think some of you guys are too hard on train models.  In my OO period if I had a County like that, I wouldn't have been aware these problems and enjoyed it just the way it was.  But I do understand those who want perfection and their enjoyment achieving that happy state.

Brian.