A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

You said "brighten", and all was going well until the poster of Barmouth.

It had to be a drawing because the sun never shines there, and as for frolicking children and mothers in bikinis, that is pure fantasy on the artist's part.  He's obviously drawn it from a photo, and omitted all of the folk in their mackintoshes and balaclavas...........

Edited by M.I.B

It works! Judging by the number of tourist who assume it always rains in North Wales and the Cambrian coast, they must be hitting rain when on hols. Eventually we will have tourist-free roads in summer so we locals can get around and enjoy our beautiful country. Having chosen to live here instead of in England's Cottonopolis over 50 years ago, I have never been short of a tan summer or winter ha ha... In fact I have just come indoors after having lunch in the garden.  :sungum:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

My Focus had more grunt, you can take 50bhp off for the weight of that thing + 10% of the power as no doubt most of the clowns who own drive around in them with the hood down(more loose of power)have the air-con switched on it put them about 200bhp which is what Paul Daniels would say not a lot. :nono:  :jester:

Don't think there's much point discussing cars with somebody with such ill conceived views

My youngest son came home with a fresh car last weekend. Press a button and the hood goes into the boot. His workmates told him he had bought a hairdressers car, but posing for his photos like jack the lad in his bird-pulling convertible, a leopard skin scarf covering his rollers, he didn't look too bothered ha ha...  :blum:

Edited by coachmann

It had to be a drawing because the sun never shines there

No I won't have that - the sun shone on one day in 2009:

post-9751-0-94617500-1444665257.jpg

Photo Peter Brabham - which keeps to the current car theme.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

You think I can afford to drive a BMW?

How sweet.

I didn't say you owned it...

Anyway my other thought was that you'd stated early defending the sea wall against winter storms. A few sheets of the folding stuff in the hands of the local Teignmouth yoof and hey presto, beach armour on the cheap. (yes I know that the yoof in Teignmouth is about 50)

• Like 1

It had to be a drawing because the sun never shines there, and as for frolicking children and mothers in bikinis, that is pure fantasy on the artist's part.  He's obviously drawn it from a photo, and omitted all of the folk in their mackintoshes and balaclavas...........

Let me defend my beloved Wales:

post-13158-0-09076000-1444667053_thumb.jpg

View towards Traeth Penllech this summer, on the Llynn peninsula (not that far from Barmouth as the crow flies..)

post-13158-0-99203300-1444667328_thumb.jpg

And on the beach itself: Glorious sunshine, beach activities, scantily clad ladies. what more could one want?

which puts in a somewhat awkward position: (not to mention hijacking Rob's tread..)

It works! Judging by the number of tourist who assume it always rains in North Wales and the Cambrian coast, they must be hitting rain when on hols. Eventually we will have tourist-free roads in summer so we locals can get around and enjoy our beautiful country. Having chosen to live here instead of in England's Cottonopolis over 50 years ago, I have never been short of a tan summer or winter ha ha... In fact I have just come indoors after having lunch in the garden.  :sungum:

Sorry Larry, some tourists just won't stop coming  :dontknow:

Edited by Trains&armour
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

And here's that excursion with the Southern and BR Standard locos, nearing Brent, just crossing the River Avon, with the remains of the former Up Refuge Siding just visible to the right of the train:

attachicon.gifIMG_4433.JPG

I've stood at that photo standpoint a few times Tim.The ballasting is nearly as good as mine !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And here's that excursion with the Southern and BR Standard locos, nearing Brent, just crossing the River Avon, with the remains of the former Up Refuge Siding just visible to the right of the train:

attachicon.gifIMG_4433.JPG

Looks to be quite a short refuge siding CK, 6 sleepers long?? :O

Al.