A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Any more pictures of those bullybeef engines and this 'King' could get very cross

attachicon.gif60XX at KX g1a.jpg

PS And now something for those with an interest in Plymouth.   Mrs Stationmaster returned from  a short holiday in Plymuff yesterday bearing a gift for moi - a copy of a 2013 published volume from Pen & ink Publishing entitled 'Backtracking Around Friary, Laira and The Plym' being basically a photo album almost entirely in colour with 'then & now' views in the above area and it extends its coverage to the east end of North Road station.  Some of the photo reproduction is a bit on the 'muddy' side but a lot of it is pretty good with very good colour rendition and the captions seem good too.

'Then' is rather flexible as it varies from views at Laira and Friary sheds in steam days (all in colour!) to 'blue period' diesels at such places as Tavvy Jcn or on a weedkiller train down to Friary yard and many places (e.g friary station) are not really covered in the steam.  There is apparently a second volume to come covering the west side of the city which presumably will commence at teh west end of North Road although I don't know how far west it will go.

Some of the images in the book can be found at this website - overprinted  alas

http://classictractionimages.weebly.com

I've got that one, Mike, and I rate it highly. Bernard Mills is a highly respected local photographer and still (I believe) does a bit of part time work in Plymouth booking office. He chronicled is long railway career with some really useful archive type shots of the locations he worked in, including gems such as Tavistock North etc.

Any more pictures of those bullybeef engines and this 'King' could get very cross

PS And now something for those with an interest in Plymouth.   Mrs Stationmaster returned from  a short holiday in Plymuff yesterday bearing a gift for moi - a copy of a 2013 published volume from Pen & ink Publishing entitled 'Backtracking Around Friary, Laira and The Plym' being basically a photo album almost entirely in colour with 'then & now' views in the above area and it extends its coverage to the east end of North Road station.  Some of the photo reproduction is a bit on the 'muddy' side but a lot of it is pretty good with very good colour rendition and the captions seem good too.

As this was my turf, I reckon I have just about all that's written about it. Best part about this book is that the author, obviously familiar with the area, has got it right and with a lot of information I knew nothing of. It would be so much nicer in a larger format though as the pictures tend to be small and there is so much detail to be seen, it cries out to be bigger. But what there is, is great for those like me a long way away. One thing always fascinates me, is the slowly rotting boat near the rather ostentatiously named 'Ocean Sidings' It was called the Wren and has been there ever since before my time and with the most recent pictures, there does not appear to be much left in the mud. This one of the perks about having an interest in railways; there's always something to add to the hobby even at this distance.

Brian

• Like 1

Browsing the Colour Rail website as you do and found this absolute gem easily recreated using the overpriced Hornby model of the 5101 class.Just look at all that luggage on the trolley.

Copyright Colour Rail.

attachicon.gifPreview.jpeg

Just twigged that the loco in that photo is 5164............

post-9751-0-02147400-1442704598_thumb.jpg

Seen here in GWR livery at Bridgnorth, July 2013, before it's boiler certificate ran out. Currently exiled to Barrow Hill I believe.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A Great Western 'hello' posted tonite 'cos I lie-in Sunday's!

A 'City' 4-4-0 on freight for a change, seen across the fields near Carrog.....

attachicon.gifWEB City on freight.jpg

Wow, that's an popular photo Coach and one I can replicate if requested in model form . Although I don't have any BR wagons.Yet.