A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The counselling obviously works well then.

To be fair, for them what don't know, I was subtly thanking Rob for his work in making and turning the chimney up for 1368. The kit originals were absolute rubbish. Great example of the help that goes on behind the scenes.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

To be fair, for them what don't know, I was subtly thanking Rob for his work in making and turning the chimney up for 1368. The kit originals were absolute rubbish. Great example of the help that goes on behind the scenes.

A lot of water has flowed under the viaduct since that was made, not least the company I was at going into liquidation.🙄

• Friendly/supportive 3

....and now for something completely different.

Synchronised swimming has nothing on this trio of departures, clearly all at same time. Love the spacing and the perfect harmony of their exit as seen here

But where? Leaving which Station? which Railway?

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

....and now for something completely different.

Synchronised swimming has nothing on this trio of departures, clearly all at same time. Love the spacing and the perfect harmony of their exit as seen here

But where? Leaving which Station? which Railway?

Japan? Kyoto Station? JR West?

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Japan? Kyoto Station? JR West?

✔ ✖✖

that should narrow it down a bit!

A little clue, the hotel where I took this and the Railway share their name (not uncommon in Japan 😈)

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Thanks 1

The Station is Umeda Terminus, Osaka and the Railway is the successful Hanku Railway Company (Wikipedia has a useful topic).

Admittedly a real toughy of a question, worthy of Tom Gleeson's "Hard Quiz" final round for us in Oz.

How all the various private railways mesh in with JR is remarkable to see and use to get around in Japan. My first experience of Hankyu was to hop on the Local from Kyoto to Osaka paying the princely sum of Y500 (around A$5!) back in 2016. I see it's crept up to Y564 today; hmm seems they have inflation!

As to the detour, you can't have too much SPAM, or so it seems.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

The Station is Umeda Terminus, Osaka and the Railway is the successful Hanku Railway Company (Wikipedia has a useful topic).

Admittedly a real toughy of a question, worthy of Tom Gleeson's "Hard Quiz" final round for us in Oz.

How all the various private railways mesh in with JR is remarkable to see and use to get around in Japan. My first experience of Hankyu was to hop on the Local from Kyoto to Osaka paying the princely sum of Y500 (around A$5!) back in 2016. I see it's crept up to Y564 today; hmm seems they have inflation!

As to the detour, you can't have too much SPAM, or so it seems.

Thanks. I had thought about Kyoto but it didn't look right. Not familiar enough with Osaka to pick that.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/08/2024 at 07:46, Siberian Snooper said:

That's some transformation, from the bag of bolts previously seen. No wonder, Not Enough Panniers has been quite recently. Top Job!!!

More on the build here courtesy of @Simond

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/simond’s-workbench.9440/page-70#post-309433

image.jpg.a0241528b097f3cddbeb740babfe5e90.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, gwrrob said:

And fighting the 1366 for winner of the longest running project I also have this...

PXL_20240831_153657658.jpg.30339d4cd369fc6d51050ac40b0f072a.jpg

Decided I really should put windows etc in the 3 big openings. The first is underway...

PXL_20240831_203605463.jpg.e6d2b4d7952217b1102060052bb0c202.jpg

Edit. Having done some digging last night it seems that I first drew up a plan for the grain store on 19th June 2015... And building it started 3rd July 2015. Phew, not quite 10 years yet but an embarrassingly long period!

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

As long as @gwrrob doesn't mind the diversion...

I won't complain chum, you know I love that building and someone on here called me an ignorant Hornby hater yesterday.🙄

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I won't complain chum, you know I love that building and someone on here called me an ignorant Hornby hater yesterday.🙄

but they was put right 😉

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Parts of the Hornby thread have become somewhat overheated recently. Why this has to happen is beyond me.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Bearings running hot. Need lubrication.

There was, of course, a way to cool them in an emergency when no water supply was available.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

I’m told by practitioners that doing it this way put a “skin” on them, not quite case hardening, but all very scientific.

It did but that was the lesser of two evils.

On 01/09/2024 at 14:33, gwrrob said:

.....someone on here called me an ignorant Hornby hater yesterday.

Wow, that's serious. Usually one is only accused of being an ignorant hater (often, but not always, "uneducated" too) if disagreeing with someone else's political POV and backing it up with rational argument.

I didn't know that it had spread over into toy trains, sorry, scale railway models.*

*I must take my hobby seriously, I must take my hobby seriously, I must take my hobby seriously.

Bad doggie!

Big.

Bad.

Doggie......

Seriously though, I can't understand the logic which arrives at the conclusion that you "hate" a particular manufacturer of anything, let alone a maker of harmless models.

In fact the more I think about it, the more insane it seems.

Nul illegitimi carborundum old chap.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1