A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Another little Welsh wonder! The Dapol Hawthorn Leslie 0.4.0 saddle tank has received almost universal acclaim. 

A couple of images of my just-completed conversion of 'Henry' to the ex-S.H.T./GWR/BR 1144. The conversion was made a little easier by the fact that the model can be easily disassembled into workable subsections. However, the very hard material of the saddle tank casting caused some problems during filing and drilling, with high drill-bit attrition! I am very pleased with the overall result though. 

Finished using Tamiya spray cans for the black and varnish, with Vallejo acrylics for the minimal weathering. Transfers by Fox with plates etched to order by Narrow Planet well prior to the model release! Safety valve casting from Brian @ 247 developments and the bell is a Bachmann USA HO spares item. A shed plate (87D) is on order.

DSCN1313a.JPG.c2b9087c0a3246de935af70faa670ff4.JPG

DSCN1314a.JPG.9b9314c62f169d7a7918cc9a8bff01f3.JPG

DSCN1317a.JPG.492323ecdf67cae1b21efec82be90474.JPG

DSCN1319a.JPG.f88e995eaf7b345df789ab8b167338cf.JPG

Shows that we also have dull days here in the golden West!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Cowing lush ! 

Rob

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

I have to say that these toplight coaches are a brilliant example of a manufacturer getting it right, well done Dapol.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/07/2024 at 15:02, checkrail said:

The Ratio one appeared on many layouts featured in the mags 40 or 50 years ago.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that it had some inaccuracies but I don't recall what they were.  

Probably most offensive are the W irons and generic blobs for axleboxes. I think the buffers are generic too, I dont have my 2 unbuilt kits, purchased within the last couple of years on ebay for very good prices, to hand to check. They are a,so one of those weird kits with solebar integrated to the sides, making fitting a replacement underframe tricky. Oh yes, solebars appear to be too far apart.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I feel an Arts Council moment approaching...

Talking of art...

FB_IMG_1722419352680.jpg.7f360e066584dc113e28cc90aa6b16f3.jpg

...anyone off to RailWells at the weekend.  I have booked my carer (the former Mrs Dubya, she who detects the perfect layout height, ask SB) for the Saturday.  I have, unfortunately, remembered to wash this week 🥺

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Makes it quite clear they where designed for the restricted areas of London.

Positively small in comparison with the other coaches.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, KNP said:

Makes it quite clear they where designed for the restricted areas of London.

Positively small in comparison with the other coaches.

They look rather nice with the Hatton's Genesis coaches in that respect. Yes, I will be taking some shots.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

There’s a very interesting and informative article on the GWR’s London ‘Local C’ trains in issue 20 of the GWRJ. Much detail about the genesis of the various stock used on the those sets, including these Mainline & City toplight coaches. 

Key takeaway for me is that these weren’t very far travelled at all. Furthest they got from Paddington was probably Banbury, via Oxford.  

The later (1925) articulated coach sets did however travel; including use in the Bristol Division during the 1950s and also in South Wales. 

Sadly I’m struggling to justify picking any of these up for my Honeybourne line layout. I might wheel out rule 1 if I find any suitably discounted anon. The corridor toplights are going to be a different kettle of fish however; I will probably struggle to keep my pre-order quantity to under double figures! 

CoY 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

Later London suburban sets were used on Sunday excursions. Images exist of two 6 coach sets coupled together, being used to Bournemouth. (hope there was a toilet stop). Although these are the later sets, the evidence is there to show this sort of thing went on. This offers the possibility that the toplight sets were used for similar excursions.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, County of Yorkshire said:

The corridor toplights

Despite all the obvious interest / excitement, I can find very little about these on line, even on the GWR Coaches website, do tell me more.

Edited by BWsTrains
add'n
  • Agree 1