A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Rubbish ballasting, too much on the left of the turnout, not enough on the  right and a few bald patches in the four foot.

It’s probably Colombian like the coal they use on the Paignton line.😉

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It’s probably Colombian like the coal they use on the Paignton line.😉

Using Columbian products for ballast could get quite expensive. I can see an increase in PW volunteers though...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Before we arrived in the South Hams we stopped off at Dawlish for a look round. Whilst on the beach at Coryton we noticed some work being done on the cliff faces of Lea Mount. I wouldn't have been brave enough to abseil the face let alone carry out the essential work.

IMG_0943.jpeg.7b393489a541d3e22825613806b6f2fe.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg.e9fddf0f8aaabfd61a567cdbd2589ef5.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Having taken a 22 bus to Dawlish some months ago, I was astonished at the huge encampment in the fields above the cliffs. So many vehicles, huts etc. Huge investment in keeping this line open. [The 22 runs from Paignton, and via Torquay & Teignmouth, so you get a lot for your £2! It also runs only 5 mins from Sherry's flat.] 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Having taken a 22 bus to Dawlish some months ago, I was astonished at the huge encampment in the fields above the cliffs. So many vehicles, huts etc. Huge investment in keeping this line open. [The 22 runs from Paignton, and via Torquay & Teignmouth, so you get a lot for your £2! It also runs only 5 mins from Sherry's flat.] 

I've long considered that it would have been cheaper, quicker, and more sustainable over the long term, to buy up a few potentially vulnerable properties on top, and grade the cliffs back to a more stable profile.

That's basically all nature is trying to do anyway.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

but what a cracking photo ,

Indeed.  I believe it's now a Landmark Trust property.  My sister-in-law and her husband stayed in it on holiday a couple of years ago. I've only seen it when walking on the other side of the river, to Dartmouth Castle and beyond. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

• RMweb Gold

Shirtbutton exaples look splendid.  Nice to see that this time the bolections are correctly painted. Bodes well for the corridor versions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Shirtbutton exaples look splendid.  Nice to see that this time the bolections are correctly painted. Bodes well for the corridor versions.

They listened to your feedback John @checkrail

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The generosity of this thread raises it's head again in the shape of a nice book given gratis by this threads Sheepbloke. @NHY 581  Dated the early 30s its the general directions, management of stations and merchandise traffic book.

This caught my eye.

'' In dealing with live stock, including horses, cattle, SHEEP, pigs and goats, care and patience must be exercised, not only in loading and unloading, but also during transit..'' 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The generosity of this thread raises it's head again in the shape of a nice book given gratis by this threads Sheepbloke. @NHY 581  Dated the early 30s its the general directions, management of stations and merchandise traffic book.

This caught my eye.

'' In dealing with live stock, including horses, cattle, SHEEP, pigs and goats, care and patience must be exercised, not only in loading and unloading, but also during transit..'' 

Did it advise what sort of prod was suitable? Presumably an electric shock prod wasn't available at the time...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Did it advise what sort of prod was suitable? Presumably an electric shock prod wasn't available at the time...

sheep-967169-01.jpeg.56abd57096e6554e49cd181399e95acb.jpeg

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Well it looks like the toplights are finally imminent and in stock at several retailers. Looking forward to getting mine , probably next week and will do a proper photo shoot for you.

Here's a couple courtesy of Kernow/Chris Nevard to whet the appetite somewhat, they look smashing.

WEB240723DAPOL4P-020-312_1.jpg.6ceb59726cd41736097933664f62f7f5.jpg

WEB240723DAPOL4P-020-411_1.jpg.533d1f06cbc5024dbb15423404e3c741.jpg

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Far too well groomed for a Valleys bin raider…….but cute and a real poser.

Oooo....... you are awful........but I like you.......

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Well it looks like the toplights are finally imminent and in stock at several retailers. Looking forward to getting mine , probably next week and will do a proper photo shoot for you.

Here's a couple courtesy of Kernow/Chris Nevard to whet the appetite somewhat, they look smashing.

WEB240723DAPOL4P-020-312_1.jpg.6ceb59726cd41736097933664f62f7f5.jpg

WEB240723DAPOL4P-020-411_1.jpg.533d1f06cbc5024dbb15423404e3c741.jpg

Will they be available in a nice green?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1