A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Dapol have news about their 2nd batch of Manors:

8d96d048bb7390180a1b861bf06441e1.png

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/blogs/news/oo-gauge-gwr-4-6-0-manor-steam-locomotive-production-samples?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3jbIbqVX117aLq1Ur1ApDj8c5AUSOpG1Xpbpuj3hp4FRwk5uYqjWblrjY_aem_hndERR1TndiFp7Vo4ye7-A

The firebox and boiler cone still don't look right to me. And is that black or is it grey?

Thems scrubs up well though...

To the Manor Born...

My blog entry...

7827 seen heading south at Talladega in 1963..

Manor'isms

Edited by 46444
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The crosshead certainly seems to be black.

Nothing a silver Sharpie won't fix.... 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Been a while since I last looked in here (busy trying to sell our house, again following a cancellation... Nuf said) currently stuck in Totnes on the 9:05 9:09 from NA to PZ with Mrs B on a anniversary day out to PZ been held here since 9:21...

At some point might hurtle through Sarf Brent

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John Besley said:

Been a while since I last looked in here (busy trying to sell our house, again following a cancellation... Nuf said) currently stuck in Totnes on the 9:05 9:09 from NA to PZ with Mrs B on a anniversary day out to PZ been held here since 9:21...

At some point might hurtle through Sarf Brent

Sadly, a fatality at Plympton.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Talking of Manors and if you keep it to yourself someone on this thread is having a footplate experience on this beauty tomorrow.😉

IMG_0944.jpeg.a33af259d429c94cac8a2a22d8e8da37.jpeg

IMG_0945.jpeg.71e2e3c9b175d71aba93dd625efe4841.jpeg

Enjoy Lydham is a cracking loco, remember your camera and share on here 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

We did finally get to PZ ... waited 3 hours at Totnes... then taxi to North Road, 13:40 depart and arrive via Castle set at PZ 15:44.. quick pasties and depart to NA at 16:50

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Talking of Manors and if you keep it to yourself someone on this thread is having a footplate experience on this beauty tomorrow.😉

Not me. (Just to avoid any confusion)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John Besley said:

Can't believe how much vegetation clobbered the sides of the train in Cornwall... bit like off roading in a Landy..driving down overgrown green lanes

Not too surprising but very disappointing to hear that my former employers are up to their old tricks.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Certainly nice looking weather this morning in Paignton, the sun is out and clear sky, better than yesterday

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Yesterdays, was at Plymouth station itself, there was one at Plympton on the 21 June

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/person-dies-train-tracks-plymouth-9392124

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/person-dies-train-tracks-plympton-9358733

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Not according to the discussions between GWR drivers from the area on another forum yesterday who mentioned it was near the same spot as the 21 June incident.

As they were saying NR were expecting the line remain closed until at least 15.00 then if it were at Plymouth station I don't think John would have been taken there to continue his journey.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

As they were saying NR were expecting the line remain closed until at least 15.00 then if it were at Plymouth station I don't think John would have been taken there to continue his journey.

Line closed from 0900 to 1500 because of a fatality? If I were still working for NR, I would despair at this point...

The only possible justification for a closure of that length of time would be if there were suspicious circumstances.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Line closed from 0900 to 1500 because of a fatality? If I were still working for NR, I would despair at this point...

The only possible justification for a closure of that length of time would be if there were suspicious circumstances.

I believe the police thought there may have been.  Nowadays, unless the on-board cctv shows the poor soul standing alone in the 4 foot prior to impact, it's declared a crime scene until proved otherwise.  The disruption doesn't concern or worry Mr Plod.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

From what I understand, a body was discovered, and not caused by a train. 

Another body was found about a week ago in exactly the same place so I think BTP were very suspicious over the circumstances. 

I

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, John Besley said:

Can't belive how much vegetation clobbered the sides of the train in Cornwall... bit like off roading in a Landy..driving down overgrown green lanes

We refer to most of our routes now as ‘Green tunnels’ a term that was reserved for Okehampton only when I first started! 

The growth in some places in the South West is quite spectacular! 

Edited by Brinkly
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

We refer to most of our routes now as ‘Green tunnels’ a term that was reserved for Okehampton online when I first started! 

The growth in some places in the South West is quite spectacular! 

It's been suggested that the recent stall of 5043 on Hemerdon Bank was caused by lineside foliage hitting the butterfly on the end of one coach with the effect being the same as pulling the communication cord. 

I've also heard a report that last week's incident in Cornwall caused by dragging brakes was started by foliage dislodging part of the brake gear on one vehicle.

We had disruption on the GWML  here in the Thames Valley a couple of weeks back when a lineside tree gave up the will to live and fell obscuring a signal.

NR do really need to get a grip.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

As I've pointed out before, when the original RT1 contract was signed between Railtrack and BR on 1.4.94, there was no mention anywhere of vegetation clearance. While there was a scramble in subsequent weeks to rectify that, it has clearly never been a key issue even in the NR era. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1