A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Greetings,

Thought I may as well ask the question on here as well (as the 'Help' section)...

I bought a cheap Hornby 2721 pannier body at the Exeter show yesterday and was wondering how faithful (or not) to the prototype is was, please?

I don't mind hacking it about a bit and I'll make up a suitable chassis from one of the etched kits, but I really need to know if I should even bother in the first place?...

Many thanks.

I found this very helpful....

https://srmg.org.uk/detailing-hornbys-ancient-opencab-pannier

you can go OTT but I felt this approach struck a good balance.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Greetings,

Thought I may as well ask the question on here as well (as the 'Help' section)...

I bought a cheap Hornby 2721 pannier body at the Exeter show yesterday and was wondering how faithful (or not) to the prototype is was, please?

I don't mind hacking it about a bit and I'll make up a suitable chassis from one of the etched kits, but I really need to know if I should even bother in the first place?...

Many thanks.

The thing that I can't get past with these old models is the thickness of the mouldings, which shows up most in the running plate edge and the cab side sheets and their capping.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

you can go OTT

This one may qualify as OTT 🙂. I converted it to an 1854 PT version, which is actually easier in some respects (coupling rods, springs). In any case, perhaps some of the butchering photos are of use:

Edited by Mikkel
To clarify
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

@Mikkel wrote the definitive blog on this subject and the Hornby body is fairly accurate apart from the chimney and middle splashers which match the innacurate Hornby chassis. I had a bash at fitting it to a newer Bachmann chassis and replaced the wonky Collett bunker with a Churchward inspired bunker fettled from the rear end of a redundant Airfix Castle tender.

Thanks to everyone who has commented and suggested things so far. I am encouraged!

I will closely examine how much the inaccurate wheel spacing bothers me... What I will do in any case is to butcher an etched brass chassis to suit and compensate it (the loco will be done in OO for the planned 'GW operating period' I am hoping to do on Bethesda Sidings).

If the wheel spacing really does bother me, then I will use a Comet chassis 'as it comes' and sort out the splashers etc.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Lovely stuff with the Hornby pannier bashing: well done all! 

I've had a nice catch-up, Robin. The new EFE fish vans are rather smart.

All the bets,

Nick. 

Thanks, I've been bashing Panniers for years. Good to get recognition at last....

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Thanks, I've been bashing Panniers for years. Good to get recognition at last....

You are a muppet at times! 😂 That really made me laugh reading that post!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Good to see some humour on here and we don’t half need it with England playing tonight.

It's been more torturous than usual, having picked Germany to win in the sweepstake at work.  Of course I want my country to win but I don't half fancy the cash 🤔

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

At times?!

At times???....................

Beaker_(Muppet)-en.jpg.4887b6935c94f4df95fbf91e5fb15c2a.jpg

2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Oi!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2