A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, look what I found in Volume 38.

post-2326-0-08091600-1405450894.jpg

This was one of the less popular Brent WI outings as the war was on at the time. Briefly it was thought that this activity could be used to distract Achtung Measuresmith, the ace Lufwaffa pilot but the idea was soon dropped after the plane was requisitioned for work abroad.

The Vicar is actually the pilot according to the text.

Quack.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A unassuming small prairie,4547 is seen passing Tigley Junction on a summers evening in '47.

attachicon.gifDSCN3876.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3877.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3878bw.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3879.jpg

I've ordered some more meadow flowers to hopefully match those in CK's backscene.

:good: 200 pages !

Far too sensible Rob. Put it away.

P

• RMweb Gold

I popped into Joseph Aulds general store this evening.On offer ,were these delicious looking Cornish scones.Can I ask is there a correct flavour jam for cream teas or does anything go as in my case, blackcurrent. ;)

I'm sure Stubby or Mallard will have an opinion.

attachicon.gifcream tea.jpg

As for opinions, I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have an opinion (or none at all) on the subject of cream teas (or non-cream teas) as the case may, or may not, be...

Certainly, one cannot possibly contemplate, under any circumstances whatsoever, both with or without the wind behind one, the slovenly and vulgar practice of putting jam on top of the cream. That would be a wholesale aberration, a complete betrayal of all human decency and the most horrendous undermining of the Four Principles. It simply cannot be borne...!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Finchings decided to celebrate with a flat out lap of the village this morning.

South Hams Constabulary are investigating a number of complaints, including one of a drive by goosing of a member of the local clergy.

Rob

post-14122-0-18273700-1405489061.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As for opinions, I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have an opinion (or none at all) on the subject of cream teas (or non-cream teas) as the case may, or may not, be...

Certainly, one cannot possibly contemplate, under any circumstances whatsoever, both with or without the wind behind one, the slovenly and vulgar practice of putting jam on top of the cream. That would be a wholesale aberration, a complete betrayal of all human decency and the most horrendous undermining of the Four Principles. It simply cannot be borne...!

So when do you add the parsnips ?

• RMweb Premium

The Finchings decided to celebrate with a flat out lap of the village this morning.

South Hams Constabulary are investigating a number of complaints, including one of a drive by goosing of a member of the local clergy.

Rob

Racing obviously was in the Brent WI blood. Here are Samantha and Pat who had been persuaded to take part in the Monte by the Finchings showing them pictures of their Isle of Man TT experiences and explaining how the Vicar had been so supportive of them both by arranging Hotel accommodation and adjoining rooms when he accompanied them to events.

post-2326-0-18407900-1405499176.jpg

The 'girls' did have regulation overalls and tinted goggles but preferred these outfits for promotional purposes. 

Their car was transported to Dover in an ex GWR van similar to this;

post-2326-0-39593100-1405499410.jpg

the SR were not impressed with that and transferred the car to  one of their vans

post-2326-0-49408100-1405499523.jpg

for the Cross Channel Car Ferry trip. 

I can't find any information about what stock was used from Calais Maritime.

There is also no information on how the 'girls' got on in the Monte.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Racing obviously was in the Brent WI blood. Here are Samantha and Pat who had been persuaded to take part in the Monte by the Finchings showing them pictures of their Isle of Man TT experiences and explaining how the Vicar had been so supportive of them both by arranging Hotel accommodation and adjoining rooms when he accompanied them to events.

attachicon.gifRacing.jpg

The 'girls' did have regulation overalls and tinted goggles but preferred these outfits for promotional purposes. 

Their car was transported to Dover in an ex GWR van similar to this;

attachicon.gifMogo.jpg

the SR were not impressed with that and transferred the car to  one of their vans

attachicon.gifSR van.jpg

for the Cross Channel Car Ferry trip. 

I can't find any information about what stock was used from Calais Maritime.

There is also no information on how the 'girls' got on in the Monte.

P

I don't fancy yours much

the green coloured van that is ;)

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifRacing.jpg

That's Pat and Ann isn't it? Stirling's sister.

The Finchings have company in the hut stakes.

attachicon.gifDSCN3882.jpg

Rob, do you have any details of the weekly letting rates for the new beach hut in proper Les-tah colours yet?

Currently on holiday in Skegg-eh, but getting bored with the daily DUKW* ride to catch a fleeting glimpse of the sea, so fancy something different next year.

The weeks I would be interested in would be the first two weeks in July (1948), before the Coventry crowd and Brummies arrive.

An early indication of availability would be much appreciated as the fall-back position will be two weeks detention at either Mabo or Cleethorpes stuck with all the other Chisits again.

*probably not a DUKW in 1947

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I tell you what would be nice.A stay in a camping coach at Avonwick,Loddiswell or Gara Bridge at 1934 prices of £3 a week plus rail fare.A caravan equivalent for my family is currently north of 600 sheets today. :O

The beach huts at Goodrington today are £474 to hire for the whole season but obviously you can't sleep or whatever in them.

A weekly charge if available this time of year is £65

http://www.torbay.gov.uk/beachhuts plus a charge for winter storage.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I believe that the 'whatever' came about in Victorian times and related to nocturnal shenanigans in said huts. In particular, the well known parlour game of 'Hunt the Sausage' is still banned under bye law on said sands irrespective of the time of day.

It was felt that an overnight ban was the only way to deal with it.

This led to a dramatic and immediate reduction in frivolity on the sands.

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, back to beach huts with class.

Here is the donor for a D95 beach hut. The bogies and underparts will be recycled.

attachicon.gifD95.jpg

P

Nothing wrong in recycling underpants. Generally rule one is one pair per four days allowing for back to front and inside out wearing of same.

Make do and mend I say.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

We need to be careful if discussing underpants:

post-2326-0-96316300-1405588639.jpg

In the post war years the US lot got paranoid about Alien invasion and so we may be being bugged if discussing the Alien interest in these garments. In fact ther e i...s someth...ing happen ing to my co..........................................

post-2326-0-23540600-1405588958.jpg

#############################____________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Nothing wrong in recycling underpants. Generally rule one is one pair per four days allowing for back to front and inside out wearing of same.

Make do and mend I say.

Rob.

I bet you'll not catch anyone associated with this thread going out cycling in their underpants.... :O  :lol: