A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I think a combination of lack of sleep and the Backjumper have made him delirious. There's probably foaming and dribble too. 

There really is some quality stuff coming on the market nowadays and as said elsewhere we really are being spoiled. Never been a better time to be a railway modeller.

• Agree 13

• RMweb Gold

Dapol announcement: New Diagram N Autocoaches!

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/live-from-ally-pally-show-autocoach-promised-for-oo?fbclid=IwAR0F7tyd1C2Z5LDirSHSp6nSu8Jb3yrzbc1NG2IqSfDTKX16wD2dvJRxU20

Interestingly, they will come in DCC Ready, DCC fitted and DCC sound versions. I wonder what sound means for an autocoach?...

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/live-from-ally-pally-show-autocoach-promised-for-oo?fbclid=IwAR0F7tyd1C2Z5LDirSHSp6nSu8Jb3yrzbc1NG2IqSfDTKX16wD2dvJRxU20

Interestingly, they will come in DCC Ready, DCC fitted and DCC sound versions. I wonder what sound means for an autocoach?...

Lionheart (nowadays associated with Dapol) did a sound-fitted Auto-trailer in 7mm scale some while ago.

IIRC it involved things like door opening/closing, guard/station announcements, the gong, etc. (possibly rail-joint clickety-clack, too, though I'm not sure on that).  

John  

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

39 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Wow, didn’t see that coming!

And following the autocoach link led me to find that there’s a Mica coming from KR models:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/kr-models-announce-a-new-gwr-mica-b-refrigerated-meat-van/

As Rob said, we really are being spoiled! 

Edited by BenL
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Lionheart (nowadays associated with Dapol) did a sound-fitted Auto-trailer in 7mm scale some while ago.

IIRC it involved things like door opening/closing, guard/station announcements, the gong, etc. (possibly rail-joint clickety-clack, too, though I'm not sure on that).  

John  

Yes that could actually be innovative as usually there is little 'Train on the move sound' in any Sound programme.

The Gong will be fun!

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In other news, I've finally found a use for the Prairie tank that I own. As well as a paperweight and doorstop it can also be used as a scaling device and yardstick:

IMG_20230318_142640.jpg.ffc5eea4a24728e3a9bf05979378bfaf.jpg

Seen here adding scale to my latest set of buildings. Build thread available here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/178189-molesworth-street-wadebridge-7mm-backs-of-buildings/#comment-5121744

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

In other news, I've finally found a use for the Prairie tank that I own. As well as a paperweight and doorstop it can also be used as a scaling device and yardstick:

IMG_20230318_142640.jpg.ffc5eea4a24728e3a9bf05979378bfaf.jpg

Seen here adding scale to my latest set of buildings. Build thread available here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/178189-molesworth-street-wadebridge-7mm-backs-of-buildings/#comment-5121744

Nice to see you back posting stuff from your Pencarrow layout chum.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Most impressive work there Chris, and useful reminder to anyone considering "O" it means not just 1.7 times the length but >3 times the area and >9 times the volume of OO. (hope I got those right).

Those are big buildings, any bigger and you'd be needing a council permit, the way things are there these days.

I've about the same available full scale space for my modelling in OO, suddenly recognising how much room I have to play with😀 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, BenL said:

I've no experience or knowledge of these KR Models wallahs, what are their models like in terms of accuracy and quality, please?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I've no experience or knowledge of these KR Models wallahs, what are their models like in terms of accuracy and quality, please?

Er….I think you might tactfully assess KR performance to date as “variable “. Suggest a read of their thread.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2023 at 08:50, gwrrob said:

There really is some quality stuff coming on the market nowadays and as said elsewhere we really are being spoiled. Never been a better time to be a railway modeller.

Too true Robin…..and never a worse time to be a client/customer/passenger/victim of today’s “grown up “ system.

Spent last night strike bound in a Liverpool hotel enroute from Glasgow with a gtoup …no,not that sort of group….from Merseyside. We travelled by coach but I had to wait for my booked onward Pendo until 10:43 this morning. Being in some ways neurotically cautious,I checked RealTime Trains website before breakfast. No problem it seemed…11 coach Pendo with usual details ( Even rail staff use it ,it’s that good ). Great,I thought ,time to watch a bit of tele before checking out & getting a taxi to Lime Street. But hang on,let’s have one more check..09:12 time.

“Train cancelled Liverpool - Crewe due to train crew issues.”But 09:35 Lime Street-Euston still a runner. Quick stuff of everything into case….quick checkout….taxi ordered…arrived almost instantaneously…zip quickly down the hill…..Liverpool taxi drivers are great …onto train at 09:30. Things are not going too well at Crewe either.But I made it home although subject to an hour’s wait . I’m  one of the lucky ones,I guess.Still it proves the old saying of life that there are really only two sorts…the quick and the dead. Boy I can still move if the spirit moves me.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2023 at 11:17, Mallard60022 said:

Yes that could actually be innovative as usually there is little 'Train on the move sound' in any Sound programme.

The Gong will be fun!

P

As long as it’s not imaginative rather than innovative,I suppose. Posting as one whose memory of auto trains is fixed on the years 1953-58 between Abercynon and Aberdare. An interesting prospect which might perhaps include Pannier 64XX or 14/58XX sound  ?   Of the coaches themselves…per se….I have no specific sound “memory “. For this I  would think,Dapol will have spent time at Didcot.. Whatever,we’ll have them soon and long overdue.Good news.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2023 at 10:48, gwrrob said:

Hopefully Mike @The Stationmaster can ask Richard Webster how their toplights are progressing at Ally Pally.

Alas - as explaned to Rob ina PM yeserday, I g didn't get to speak to Richard webster as the first time I went to teh stand he was besieged and subsequently when i looked he wasn't there at all/. Joel wasn't there either on all the pccasions I looked.  I know about various other things from various sources but my lips are sealed.  However what I will say is if in the not too distant future a certain GWR 'brown' vehicle happens appears from a perhaps unexpected source buy, buy, buy!   (it can't be far away now as i understand that production is underway; it is rather nice - I got involved confirming various minor decoration details so know more about it than I can, or will, say before it's announced.

And for the Good Captain I would suggest he might care to start with my comments in the KR Mica B thread and look at someone's comment about the brakegear on the 'CAD' (well a sort of CAD).  And have a look at the link to their website announcement in another post in that thread  if you want a really good laugh -  all in terribly bad taste as the great Kenny Everett would have put it.  Reading threads about most of their previous announcements will give youa pretty good idea of their general level of, hmm, 'competence'.  One question that comes to my mind is that of they have properly costed each project where is the money coming from to pay for tooling alterations once they're some way into tooling for production?

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Happy 10th Anniversary to all the followers and contributors of ANTB.

Castle class 5011 Tintagel Castle heads west with a service to Penzance whilst pannier 3796 simmers in the bay platform.

570181601_CastleCN.jpg.297f5c93154210e4731815d4a22d27dc.jpg

Congratulations on the 10 year anniversary Robin. Thank you for all the great photos and assorted humour along the way.

Heres to the next 10 years 😎

• Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

However what I will say is if in the not too distant future a certain GWR 'brown' vehicle happens appears from a perhaps unexpected source buy, buy, buy!   (it can't be far away now as i understand that production is underway; it is rather nice - I got involved confirming various minor decoration details so know more about it than I can, or will, say before it's announced.

I wonder if @BMacdermott of this parish can remind us which brown vehicle topped the poll [most votes] on here in 2021.😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rob

Firstly, well done on the first 10 years! As you know, I am a BR modeller as opposed to GWR but it has been very rewarding to be part of a 'good thread' where people are helpful and polite to each other!🙂

The Mini-Polls were spread out over various topics, so I hope you will find the Overall Results useful. They serve as a reminder of just how much has come to market since we ran them.

Brian

GWR Mini-Polls - Overall Results Top-to-Bottom.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Happy 10th Anniversary to all the followers and contributors of ANTB.

Castle class 5011 Tintagel Castle heads west with a service to Penzance whilst pannier 3796 simmers in the bay platform.

570181601_CastleCN.jpg.297f5c93154210e4731815d4a22d27dc.jpg

Many congratulations,  Rob. 

It was my involvement with this thread that got me going on my own voyage of discovery ! 

Here's to the next ten. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Rob for hosting this ever entertaining thread !
I was drawn in when your pictures of the newly released Hornby Collett coaches appeared in a Google search and I’ve been Nodding ever since !

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1