A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Re the Castle conversation a quick heads up for this:

4079 SVR non stop runs.

Ideal for those who don't want the crowds of the gala.

I've just booked our tickets and we're looking forward to a run behind the engine named after the place we were married - or at least in the barracks overlooking the castle! There looks to be nothing else running at the SVR on the day so here's hoping it turns out to be genuine non-stop.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

I'll think you'll find that 2 is a minimum purchase.

Deffo and check the Tenders B4 purchase. If BR days, check the Loco Chimney type. That's the only things I know about them other than AWS or some sort of pipe that was odd!

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mallard60022 said:

You can see the Planets? Lucky you. Did you see the Aurora thingy the other night? 

Telly Scope.

No, forgot to look for Aurora each night, but I've been told that it was only visible from Cornwall, not from Devon, apparently for pasty-related reasons.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

No, forgot to look for Aurora each night, but I've been told that it was only visible from Cornwall, not from Devon, apparently for pasty-related reasons.

Nah it was because they couldn't decide which went on top of which on the Scone detector.

4 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

What about Uranus .

Good question.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
Jam.
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

On 02/03/2023 at 16:13, Dunsignalling said:

If we're going to get a Consul, can we have a Zodiac as well? 😉

I did have a very early Consul, in the obligatory shade of Shed Green. The glove box door used to fall open every time you went over a bump.

If we're going to have a Zodiac, can I have the convertible with the power operated top and leopard print steering wheel cover? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Aurora, amorous plants and comet. Didn’t see any of it because Wales seems to have been cloudy forever.  But…

In our fridge I can see Kern, Stithians and Yarg. Freshly imported from the Duchy. St Pirans Day on Sunday. Have a good one folks! 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I did have a very early Consul, in the obligatory shade of Shed Green. The glove box door used to fall open every time you went over a bump.

If we're going to have a Zodiac, can I have the convertible with the power operated top and leopard print steering wheel cover? 

My Dad’s 1965  Zodiac had a very rare option  , the ZF 4 speed all synchro” four on the floor “. When you changed from 3rd to 4th it went Click ,Click . It also had a lift and hold ring to protect reverse gear . Gorgeous motor.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 1466 said:

My Dad’s 1965  Zodiac had a very rare option  , the ZF 4 speed all synchro” four on the floor “. When you changed from 3rd to 4th it went Click ,Click . It also had a lift and hold ring to protect reverse gear . Gorgeous motor.

My late mate's parents had a Mk 3 Zephyr 6. Bench seat, column change, slightly less power than the Zodiac but still easy for three-figure speeds, which were legal in the mid-sixties. He had a ball in that!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Thing I drove the fastest once was an Austin 1100 circa 1965/66? Bloody rocket machine. 

Bestest Car I drove was some sort of Rover, that belonged to a pal In Plymuff called Steve Tyrrell. He drove all sorts of things and used his dad's work vans for taking us around the area (mostly in the back).

We went up to London one time circa 65/66, to watch the bloomin Boat Race and coming back overnight, down the A303/A38 I think it was, he stopped the Rover somewhere and told me to drive, as he was desperately tired. I had not yet passed my test but had driven Dumpers on building sites the previous year. I was hopeless at gear changing so he did the first 3 from start and then when in fourth, I drove in that gear for at least two hours, praying that there were no Red Lights or traffic jams. There weren't; it was brilliant just cruising between 30 and 80 depending on the situations, almost zero traffic and a clear and bright night with lovely moonlight. Despite Haldon Hill etc, that Rover went everywhere in 4th, except from a dead start presumably? happy days, but soooooo many risks.

P

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1