A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

It strikes me as supremely ironic that what's now feted as the loco beyond all locos, such a national icon etc etc etc was so celebrated in 1963 (disclaimer don't know exact year but you get my point), that it would have been sold for scrap and didn't event make the BTC list of locos worth preserving.

I suspect that the name "Flying Scotsman" aids with all the dynamic marketing. I'm sure if it had been named "Brenda" we'd have seen it scrapped and converted to razor blades.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I suspect that the name "Flying Scotsman" aids with all the dynamic marketing. I'm sure if it had been named "Brenda" we'd have seen it scrapped and converted to razor blades.

No they wouldn't. My late mum's name was Brenda and if there was a loco with her name she would have given anyone attempting to scrap it one of her "Stern looks" and they would have walked away without any argument just like my dad, my brother, my sister and I always did.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

To be fair, even Eggchap looks a tad miffed about it. 

image.png.e0ce8f14100ff2653c849b082c906bd6.png.824f9656116a8974725cc67fb64f775c.png

images.jpeg-5.jpg.e54edcc9494601d2162cb85823943171.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
On 01/03/2023 at 14:33, Ian Hargrave said:

ANTB friends and followers. Some of you may have seen for sale ads.for various Rapido wagons by Kevin Johnson.I’ve recently bought a 4 plank GW from him myself. He’s leaving the hobby for a short while because he’s about to undergo a course of chemotherapy but intends it not to be a permanent position. I’ve PM’d him just,urging him to keep in touch with RMWEB,citing my own recent experiences with both bereavement and hospitalisation and how keeping in touch really helps the spirits and aids recovery. Maybe we can ourselves bear this in mind and keep him in our thoughts in posting either in open forum or via pm  ?   Thanks ……Ian.

Thanks Ian for this post. It really does mean a lot to me and during my treatment I will be popping in from time to time to see all the wonderful modelling and to talk to forum members.👍

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Clearwater said:

It strikes me as supremely ironic that what's now feted as the loco beyond all locos, such a national icon etc etc etc was so celebrated in 1963 (disclaimer don't know exact year but you get my point), that it would have been sold for scrap and didn't event make the BTC list of locos worth preserving.

And was widely regarded as a basket case by shed staff and traincrew, Alan Pegler was advised just to buy the nameplates and fix them onto St. Simon, which was reckoned to be in ten times better condition.

Might have kept his fortune if he'd listened....  

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Just wondering if 60039 and 60041 ever double headed a dinning car train

Or what livery would 60108 be these days...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Fish sandwich!

Many.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Don't knock it - those Bradford Exchange people are very prescient, as their almost identical 80th anniversary FS masterpiece also featured a TT-120 moving FS on the lower deck,  20 years before Simon Kohler reimagined it.

1533517965_2110707873_download(5).jpeg.94dbf57614799e9e21370dae1f19d70d(1).jpeg.2483e41eeb351d83367925cfc4286056.jpeg

Well it's a slow day here........

Edited by cary hill
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, John Besley said:

I know this has been gone over before but I have just been given a very clean copy of Bradford Bartons 'More Southern Steam in The Westcountry' there are a couple of pictures of Westcountrys 21C112 and 21C113 as well as N 1833 on the GWR between Exeter and Newton Abbot in September 1946....  

When do we get the same treat at South Brent? 

My Father would like to know...

Ps,  The main reason I was given the  book is I apper in one picture as a 3 year old with my Uncle Andrew and my Mother at Torrington in 1961...

2600C42D-5C3B-4148-A4D5-CE11CE54F880.jpeg.21363dc0ca8cca8d313e54d23930341c.jpegE5B322AA-5D33-4BE6-899C-A8F1EC47A8D3.jpeg.c425d1c55e1cebb1103524e1d6787c0f.jpeg

On my version of Brent 21c111 departing Brent station with a Plymouth bound M Set, and the same loco shortly afterward crossing the Little Avon. 

Typical that the photos in the book are the next two locos in the number series…

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John Besley said:

60039 "Glastonbury Tor" and 60041 "High Willhays", sorry don't get the joke. 🙃

There wasn't a 60108, they only built 100 tugs. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

10 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Well, if you don't want the toy train, there's plenty of other quality tat produced to celebrate (commercially milk) the greatest loco ever:

download (5).jpeg

images (10).jpeg

images (9).jpeg

images (8).jpeg

images (7).jpeg

images (6).jpeg

download (4).jpeg

images (5).jpeg

images (4).jpeg

images (3).jpeg

images (2).jpeg

download (3).jpeg

Quel fromage!

• Funny 3

8 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

How in any version of this world is such a thing wanted or necessary? The producers should be given a stern talking to and told to reflect on what they have done.

You don't think that an artillery barrage would be more appropriate and perhaps discourage others?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2