A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

10 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

That's disappointing. The large letter jobs were next on the to order list.......

Rob. 

There is a large letter one with the second lever and added brake shoe:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/gwr-dia-o21-no-63392-gwr-grey-large-letters

As for the other two large lettered examples linked to above, I’m wondering if some of these made it into that livery before having the extra brake gear added? I’m away from my books so not sure of the exact year the BoT rule about being able to brake a wagon from each side came in.

But the post-36 example that both Robin and I have ordered should certainly have the second set of brake gear.

Edited by BenL
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 minutes ago, BenL said:

But the post-36 example that both Robin and I have ordered should certainly have the second set of brake gear.

Hmmmm, well the ever reliable @Miss Prism has provided a very helpful run down of the BoT rules and their implications here: http://www.gwr.org.uk/nowagonbrakes.html

it seems the word ‘should’ in my quote above is key - while the BoT rule for either side braking came in in 1911, the deadline for applying it ended up being 1939, and even then not all wagons had been modified (far from it according to @Miss Prism’s excellent data). So this means it is possible that some of these O21s still had single side brakes in the 16 inch G W and post-36 ‘small’ G W livery periods.

However, my understanding was that as the subject of a specific modification programme from 1927, the O21s would have got the second brake lever and extra shoe fitted in a relatively timely fashion, but maybe this specific programme also dragged on, after all, there were quite a lot of them to get through.

I’d certainly be interested to hear from @RapidoCorbs as to whether Rapido have photographic evidence of 73691 not having been modified when in post-36 livery, and if so, what year the evidence is from - it could be that she’s not suitable for a 1947 layout like mine and Robin’s. 

Edited by BenL
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Rapido staff

It was almost exactly a year ago that I worked on these but looking back at the spec. list I was working to for the colouring-in, there are a mix of double- and single-sided brake versions across the range.

They are:

Pre-1904 G.W.R

73691 - Single

41277 - Double (this is the preserved wagon at the Severn Valley)

Big 16" GW

74563 - Single

54156 - Single

63392 - Double

Post-36

73691 - Single

14432 - Double (CO markings)

BR(W)

14076 - Double

Most of these were based on prototype photos (definitely all the big GW ones and the BR(W) one), I'll see if I can check in with the researcher about the post-36 ones when I am next in the office.

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

It was almost exactly a year ago that I worked on these but looking back at the spec. list I was working to for the colouring-in, there are a mix of double- and single-sided brake versions across the range.

They are:

Pre-1904 G.W.R

73691 - Single

41277 - Double (this is the preserved wagon at the Severn Valley)

Big GW

74563 - Single

54156 - Single

63392 - Double

Post-36

73691 - Single

14432 - Double (CO markings)

BR(W)

14076 - Double

Most of these were based on prototype photos (definitely all the big GW ones and the BR(W) one), I'll see if I can check in with the researcher about the post-36 ones when I am next in the office.

Thanks Corbs, 

All the big GW are on the wanted list as are both the pre-1904 but I'm now thinking that 41227 is either best avoided or purchased and the additional brake gear removed to back date. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• Rapido staff
55 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks Corbs, 

All the big GW are on the wanted list as are both the pre-1904 but I'm now thinking that 41227 is either best avoided or purchased and the additional brake gear removed to back date. 

Rob. 

Hi Rob, 41227 is 'as preserved' yes, but I was just having a look at the 3D file and the brake shoes etc are glued into two tabs on the underside of the chassis, and the V-hangers locate into two notches on the back of the solebar, so if the glue bond can be overcome then it should be possible to fernaggle them out. 

A thought did occur to me though, that if someone else wanted to do a 'safe' post-39 version of 73691 with double brakes then they might be up for swapping chassis with 41227? The grey is the same as is everything below the solebar (edit: apart from the teeny tiny white arrow on 41227).

The body is mounted via the two screws that hold the NEM pockets in.

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

55 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

A thought did occur to me though, that if someone else wanted to do a 'safe' post-39 version of 73691 with double brakes then they might be up for swapping chassis with 41227? The grey is the same as is everything below the solebar (edit: apart from the teeny tiny white arrow on 41227).

That’s a genius idea Corbs!

I’m certainly up for a chassis swap - I have 73691on order if anyone wants to swap a 41227 chassis. Although if Robin wants to do the same, he should have first dibs as it’s his thread!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BenL said:

I’d certainly be interested to hear from @RapidoCorbs as to whether Rapido have photographic evidence of 73691 not having been modified when in post-36 livery, and if so, what year the evidence is from - it could be that she’s not suitable for a 1947 layout like mine and Robin’s. 

Not just us Ben but there's others including this threads @County of Yorkshireand @john dew

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

For clarification, 'large G W' in the context of the 4-plankers means 16" lettering, rather than the more usual usage of 'large' meaning post-1904 25".

So, post 1919 as released then ? 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Hi Rob, 41227 is 'as preserved' yes, but I was just having a look at the 3D file and the brake shoes etc are glued into two tabs on the underside of the chassis, and the V-hangers locate into two notches on the back of the solebar, so if the glue bond can be overcome then it should be possible to fernaggle them out. 

Good plan. 

Rob. 

• Rapido staff

Did a little test with my O.21 and by undoing the two screws under the NEM pockets, the body popped off easily, which makes me think that a chassis swap would be better for people wanting to change brake arrangements rather than trying to prise the brake gear itself off.

I believe the weight is glued to the wagon body itself.

Hope this is useful!

63B51B79-C795-41A9-8919-F289525FA4AB_1_102_o.jpeg.d1ac4f02d452869cdb5141e7770e2a2b.jpeg

Silliness ensued.

AADEBE9A-E6D8-4E3B-A721-8C6587B55193_1_102_o.jpeg.4e1dd26e34f627856569b7e20f54b8ef.jpeg

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 17/02/2023 at 22:27, St Enodoc said:

No - steam-cleaned regularly (I was going to write "after every trip" but I'm not absolutely sure of that).

They certainly seem to have been cleaned daily but that was the business of the owners/dairy and not BR.  Of course if you're modelling teh right part of the 1930s the miltas were 4 wheel vehicles - not six wheelers.   I don't know how long it took to modify them but I suspect it was consofdered to be as urgent as the traffic situation allowed?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Garethp8873 said:

I have also got a 925006 example on it's way to me as well. If anyone would be kind enough to swap chassis with me you'd be doing me a massive favour!! 🙏 

It might still be correct as we're waiting for Rapido's researcher to confirm the photo evidence and date.

• Rapido staff

Hi folks,

I spoke to the project manager and can confirm the following:

-73691 is one of the wagons we did not have a photo for.

-It was included to provide some variation in the late GW liveries, and based on reported sighting of single-sided braked wagons being spotted post-1936, it was not out of the realms of possibility.

So if you want to play it 'safe', you might want to either fit additional brake gear/swap chassis or go for the other wagon (14432), but on the other hand single-sided brake gear was a possibility even in wartime. 

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, BenL said:

Any sign of the door banger and strip in the box as apparently suggested in the leaflet?

Nothing but the product leaflet which ironically mentions the poly bag and fitting of them.😮

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6