A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

What it really needs is something from the LMS lol

Did we ever get anywhere with info re the LMS stock used on workings from beyond the dark side (e.g. Crewe, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool)?

I've got that good book talking about 1957 summer workings, but it only gives sample formations not Diagrams.

We possibly need Mr price to assist us with some identification from sample photo's? Could he be bribed do we think?

I'm hoping I/we could get away with mostly RTR/RTR Conversions as the thought of building a dozen or so LMR kits could result in yet another prescription :stinker:

P

Arrrrrrrr

• RMweb Premium

Robin, my view is that the huts are way to close to the sea - the scene is fairly calm at the moment but, if there were a storm then the huts would be trashed.

Have you thought about low rock  outcrops and associated pools instead? They are found at various places along the south Devon coast (I know as the kids have played in most of them). At the moment IMO the scene is too pristine and uniform - particularly the line of uniform sized rocks sitting next to the wall. It needs a bit more randomness I think.

(No offence intended by the hopefully constructive comments)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did we ever get anywhere with info re the LMS stock used on workings from beyond the dark side (e.g. Crewe, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool)?

I've got that good book talking about 1957 summer workings, but it only gives sample formations not Diagrams.

We possibly need Mr price to assist us with some identification from sample photo's?

P

Arrrrrrrr

I'm after info on foreign stock that worked into Plymouth over the GW in the mid '20's whilst you're at it.

SS

• RMweb Premium

Robin, my view is that the huts are way to close to the sea - the scene is fairly calm at the moment but, if there were a storm then the huts would be trashed.

Have you thought about low rock  outcrops and associated pools instead? They are found at various places along the south Devon coast (I know as the kids have played in most of them). At the moment IMO the scene is too pristine and uniform - particularly the line of uniform sized rocks sitting next to the wall. It needs a bit more randomness I think.

(No offence intended by the hopefully constructive comments)

Something like this sort of treatment:

post-6675-0-36073300-1403430933.jpg

post-6675-0-15925600-1403430935.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

my view is that the huts are way to close to the sea - the scene is fairly calm at the moment but, if there were a storm then the huts would be trashed.

What you're saying is that 'The tide is high but I'm holding on.I'm gonna be you're number one' :jester: Sorry it's in my DNA.

It doesn't need to be the sea as it's just a water effect I'm after inspired by the Holiday Haunts layout of a few years back.Those outcrop rocks are a nice feature.

I'm really torn to have a beach hut for a bit of Finchings fun so perhaps our imagination needs to ignore the possibility of it being swept away here.No access to the beach yet too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What you're saying is that 'The tide is high but I'm holding on.I'm gonna be you're number one' :jester: Sorry it's in my DNA.

It doesn't need to be the sea as it's just a water effect I'm after inspired by the Holiday Haunts layout of a few years back.Those outcrop rocks are a nice feature.

I'm really torn to have a beach hut for a bit of Finchings fun so perhaps our imagination needs to ignore the possibility of it being swept away here.No access to the beach yet too.

What you're saying is:

One way or another I'm gonna find a place for a beach hut

I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha

One way or another I'm gonna win a place for a beach hut

I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha

One way or another I'm gonna see a place for a beach hut

I'm gonna makea makea makea makea 

One day, maybe next week

Have you thought about having one end of the beach scene higher (about 1/3 - 1/2 up the sea wall) and having a flat area there for the huts?

(And remember young Jedi the teachings of Yoda: "other people's layouts be not modelling them")

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Chris for saying what some of us were thinking, but unable to articulate nicely or constructively.

Dudds.I've been married nearly 27 years.I can take constructive criticism. I've made a start on a platform for the huts and may get several now.I will use these resin steps http://www.unitmodels.com/product.php?id_product=125 for access from both the promenade and down to the beach hopefully with a bit of luck.I've cleared a path through the stones on the ledge.Photos later.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I'm less keen on constructive criticism but I've still managed 27 years of marriage. Just with three wives LOL

This has provided me with a variety of different criticism, constructive being one of many applicable adjectives.

We possibly need Mr price to assist us with some identification from sample photo's? Could he be bribed do we think?

I'm hoping I/we could get away with mostly RTR/RTR Conversions as the thought of building a dozen or so LMR kits could result in yet another prescription :stinker:

P

Arrrrrrrr

I thought I'd made a start with some Manchester possibilities for coach diagrams and individual coach numbers in post #4050 but never mind as no one can hear you scream on ANTB :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm after info on foreign stock that worked into Plymouth over the GW in the mid '20's whilst you're at it.

SS

That'll be Period One stuff then, but I bet it will be almost the same formations (however shorter trains due to smaller loco's at that time?)

P

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd made a start with some Manchester possibilities for coach diagrams and individual coach numbers in post #4050 but never mind as no one can hear you scream on ANTB :jester:

That's here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent/page-162 Number 4 looks promising Phil. ;)

Whilst the filler and pva are drying here are a few more of 4582 in action.

post-126-0-02870300-1403446866_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-92698500-1403446879_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-48139300-1403446892_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-57478300-1403446907_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

That'll be Period One stuff then, but I bet it will be almost the same formations (however shorter trains due to smaller loco's at that time?)

P

Not much difference actually - the 1927 load from Newton to Brent or Rattery for a 'Star' or 'Castle (unassisted) was one coach less than the 1963 load for a 'Castle'  (in normal passenger train timings.  the 1927 load for a 'Saint', 43XX, or 31XX was one coach less than the 1963 load for a 'Hall' (and equal to the 1927 load for a 'Star' or 'Castle').  As the great GJC said - 'one of mine will pull two of theirs backwards'.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Dudds.I've been married nearly 27 years.I can take constructive criticism. I've made a start on a platform for the huts and may get several now.I will use these resin steps http://www.unitmodels.com/product.php?id_product=125 for access from both the promenade and down to the beach hopefully with a bit of luck.I've cleared a path through the stones on the ledge.Photos later.

Hey Rob, steps? How can you expect the 'ladies' of ANTB parish to navigate steps in their finery? Surely a nice ramp would be better for promenading down to the beach?

Have you worked out what class of WR loco is in my sketch?

• RMweb Gold

Robin - I agree with Spams' suggestions - this is pretty much exactly what the prototype has. I may be on a 'Captains Travels' visit to the real Sea Wall tomorrow, if I can, I'll try to grab a few views for you, although to be honest, Granitechops has been doing a very good job for the last few weeks on the Dawlish washout thread.

I'd also suggest a groyne or two?...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have you worked out what class of WR loco is in my sketch?

A 1366 class knowing you.I think steps will be fine as a ramp will take too much beach up.I've smashed some slate up for the outcrops but not sure the colour is right.A bit of planning wouldn't have gone amiss here.