A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I'm a bit concerned about that Brigade of Tuskers and their drivers. Never mind the Canon mounted Elephant, one driver appears to have a Bazooka attached to his head.......OK I suppose, until it is fired (the Bazooka, not the head). Ouch.

Spams, the white roof on a GWR coach was to disguise the seagull *rap that got splattered all over them at the coastal stations/carriage sidings; fave places to get *rapped on were Laira, Long Rock, Cardiff, Swansea and Bedminster CS so I'm told. Minehead was awful too and Weymouth was probably as bad. Not sure about OOC but then I suspect it would be pigeon doo. I looked all this up in the GWRJ Edition 6 page 4, para 2.

Oh yes, neat Castle by the way; looks like Earl of Clancarty to me.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

I'm a bit concerned about that Brigade of Tuskers and their drivers. Never mind the Canon mounted Elephant, one driver appears to have a Bazooka attached to his head.......OK I suppose, until it is fired (the Bazooka, not the head). Ouch.

No need to be concerned as I've turned over the photo and the inscription on the back reads :

"Kingsbridge Quay 20th December 1893 - Mercenaries, former soldiers of The King of Siam's Own Elephant Artillery Support Corps (Experimental Weapons Troop) and fresh from their abysmal performance in the Franco-Siamese War of 1893, assemble at the Quay prior to starting a three-day forced march to Pencarrow House."

Further research in the local archives reveals that they arrived in Kingsbridge  on the 19th December, the day of the opening of the Kingsbridge Branch, and, as the G.W.R. didn't allow any children to ride on the trains that day, they offered free elephant rides and machine gun practice for the children.

It appears they got into a fight with the Regimental Band of the Kings Own Scottish Borderers because the noise from the machine guns ruined the K.O.S.B. Band's afternoon performance at the adjacent Quay bandstand. There was another fight in the evening when they gatecrashed the local Corps of Rifle Volunteers' celebration at the Kingsbridge armoury. 

Fortunately Kingsbridge was spared further trouble when an urgent S.O.S. from the Molesworth-St Aubyns of Pencarrow, requesting assistance with the removal of Rhinos from the formal gardens at Pencarrow House, was received by their commander and they left Kingsbridge during in morning of 20th December heading for Brent.

P.S. According to the Engine Duties Board at Laira the "unidentified" Castle should be 5011 "Tintagel Castle".

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It appears they got into a fight with the Regimental Band of the Kings Own Scottish Borders because the noise from the machine guns ruined the K.S.O.B. Band's afternoon performance at the adjacent Quay bandstand. There was another fight in the evening when they gatecrashed the local Corps of Rifle Volunteers' celebration at the Kingsbridge armoury. 

P.S. According to Engine Duties Board at Laira the "undentified" Castle should be 5011 "Tintagel Castle".

Excellent research David but may I pull you up on this fact.The band playing that day was the Kingsbridge Brass band and I know this because my great,great grandfather was playing euphonium that day.

Also it may have been 5011 but rumours abound that 'Wellington' with Hawksworth tender maybe appearing on the horizon.This was said last year to no avail though.Unidentified covers the lack of Castles on shed at this time.

Excellent research David but may I pull you up on this fact.The band playing that day was the Kingsbridge Brass band and I know this because my great,great grandfather was playing euphonium that day.

Also it may have been 5011 but rumours abound that 'Wellington' with Hawksworth tender maybe appearing on the horizon.This was said last year to no avail though.Unidentified covers the lack of Castles on shed at this time.

There is mention of the town band marching round the town playing lively airs in my sources as well, but I thought I'd spare them an assault by trained Thai kick-boxers.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

The Day the Rhinos died

by someone not remotely connected to Don Maclean

Cornish Riviera in a summer swelter
The birds flew off with a down line shelter
Eight mins late but gaining fast
It crested Hemerdon in a blast
The finchings tried for a forward pass
With the GI’s on the branchlines in a cast
Now the smoke filled  air was sweet perfume
While the Sergeants played a marching tune
We all got up to dance
Oh but we never got the chance
'Cause the tuskers tried to take the field
The marching band refused to yield
Do you recall what was revealed
The day the Rhinos died
We started singing

So, bye-bye, you Rhinoceri
Drove my castle to the buffet
But the buffet’s a tent

And them good old boys were drinkin' bitter from Kent
Singin' this'll be the nod to Brent
This'll be the nod to Brent

• RMweb Gold

This thread really amazes me at times.Craftsmanship from contributors and not a scalpel blade,paintbrush or camera in sight.Sometimes I just love ANTB.

I salute all of the wordsmiths on here.It's also comforting to know that Charles Dickens was also a director of Gods Wonderful. :boast:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The ANTB thread is like a station waiting room. We sit waiting for the occasional train to pass whilst no end of sideshows, artists, escapees from the funny farm and animal acts entertain the assembled throng...

And on that note it's bedtime.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nah, I was doomed years ago and don't need beer to help with that...... :lazy: but, to keep you entertained........................

https://www.google.co.uk/search?es_sm=93&biw=1280&bih=675&q=top+10+failed+doomsday+predictions&revid=1846730024&sa=X&ei=gpd0U-2BJ6OV7Abwr4HgAQ&ved=0CIYBENUCKAE

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Oxbridge Dictionary - explanation of: "Spotters Doom" (see below for last paragraph in this piece)

For example: 

The ANTB thread is like a station waiting room. We sit waiting for the occasional train to pass whilst no end of sideshows, artists, escapees from the funny farm and animal acts entertain the assembled throng...

and

Spotters.....sitting, waiting........waiting.....waiting........thus the onset of  "Spotters' Doom", a terrible condition that overcomes the enthusiastic young lads and lasses that follow ANTB (and anything else for that matter) when no trains appear for 5 minutes.

Hope that helps and I do hope you liked the fishy object. Is that what you meant?

KCAUQ.

• Like 1

Hope that helps and I do hope you liked the fishy object. Is that what you meant?

KCAUQ.

I thought the fishy object was an advance trailer for the Hull-Plymouth fish train which will be arriving shortly at Brent.

• RMweb Gold

Are from Somerset then Rob? :drinks:

Not at all but I do like the products associated with the West Country.

Cider,pasties,clotted cream and saffron cake. ;)

I thought the fishy object was an advance trailer for the Hull-Plymouth fish train which will be arriving shortly at Brent.

A NE fish van is on it's way and several others too if I can justify a rake of them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

They would make me feel right at home....

You freekie deekie Dutch do have a history of putting your finger in the dyke. I have yet to meet a dyke who wanted anything to do with my fingers!

• RMweb Gold

You freekie deekie Dutch do have a history of putting your finger in the dyke. I have yet to meet a dyke who wanted anything to do with my fingers!

I do the rude jokes on this thread Dudders. :mosking: :laugh: