A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Didn’t see you there but enjoyed the show.  Some great layouts particularly Bournemouth West.  Smallest chap liked Avon-A-Llyin.  He also had the advantage of being at platform level on several layouts.

David

3D63BD0F-2664-4737-9DFB-CB686B35FF06.jpeg

Mother of three and ex-teacher Sherry took one look at your boy and said "He's bright!" Let's hope our hobby continues to please him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, colin penfold said:

Yes Mr Duck but how did the robin get a tender behind in the prairie???

Not even a 'proper' Prairie is it me duk; got no tanks and yet it has a bunker......and then a tender! 

Complete bo##ocks bit of design put together by someone from a local Nursery School in Reading who was trying to be a sneaky rival fan.

I would never have noticed until we almost lost 1-0 yesterday (1-1 fulltime) after stuffing them 3-0 last Tuesday.

image.png.9887012794908d9233a5c6902bb392e9.png

They had a better one back when design apprentices had a brain......

image.png.93e35f46d844d8141c6a540abf7ddaca.png

I understand there may be more important things to discuss here, however the Footy thread seems to have disappeared.

Incidentally, anyone checked out the GWR coaches on Vectis? There is a lso a 47XX kit build on there but I'm a little suspicious of the quality. 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Not even a 'proper' Prairie is it me duk; got no tanks and yet it has a bunker......and then a tender! 

Complete bo##ocks bit of design put together by someone from a local Nursery School in Reading who was trying to be a sneaky rival fan.

I would never have noticed until we almost lost 1-0 yesterday (1-1 fulltime) after stuffing them 3-0 last Tuesday.

I understand there may be more important things to discuss here, however the Footy thread seems to have disappeared.

Incidentally, anyone checked out the GWR coaches on Vectis? There is a lso a 47XX kit build on there but I'm a little suspicious of the quality. 

Hi Phil

I had a butchers and the GWR stuff looked interesting but for a L&YR and GNR Yorkshire based layout they didn't seem quite right. I did notice a box of Kitmaster coaches and the cut and shut conversion ideas came flooding to my head, same with a box of Lima Mk1s. :paint:

As for a Plymouth Argyle supporter being concerned with the football thread disappearing, I cannot see the connection. :dontknow:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Talking about football Rob they are reporting on Sky sports that Coventry's new third kit is inspired by the Specials. They have been playing "gangsters" over the VT. Seems a bit harsh on the Coventry owners but given the stadium situation I'd have thought "Ghost Town" would have been nearer the mark.... :D

J. Hill

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

quality of the coaches looks to be what’s expected. 

Expect super quality from the solebar up. The metal bogies, however, will be of their era, and running qualities simply cannot approach those of today. This may or may not be of concern. Then there are couplings......

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Followers of this thread might be interested in my photos of the new Hornby prairie later. Coming next month I was told.

We don’t want too much too young though Colin!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Perhaps they’d heard about the WSR conversion and got confused?  I guess we can at least be grateful for something that look GWR in outline...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I'm genuinely shocked Grahame. I had no idea you were that old chap.:jester:

You know what they say mate.....

"You're as young as you feel".... but I haven't had a chance to....well you know what !:D

G

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, bgman said:

Good evening playmates,

Some nice looking additions in 4mm there Rob.

May I crave your indulgence for a moment from a personal point of view.

Since my move from rural to city life in May I have had little time to really concentrate on any proper modelling and my interests had wained somewhat ( some call it mojo I believe ).

About seven weeks ago I had a painful medical condition which led to me spending a week in the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital and when discharged I had to have a change of lifestyle, nothing major but distinctly different.

Getting back to normal ( yeah I know... I never was ! ) and enjoying the rather warm weather which followed my modelling took somewhat of a back seat, only dipping in and out of this channel when it suited.

Eleven days ago on my 65th birthday I decided to have a blast on my mountain bike, nothing unusual in that except by early afternoon I suffered a broken rib and two cracked ones......no thanks to some ar*e sabotaging the local trail.

Now that I have to rest and mend for approx 6-8 weeks and in a strange twist of fate my modelling intent has seemingly returned !!!! Wahoo !!!

It has prompted me to sit at my workbench again and last night started a loco to accompany my Dean Goods ( 7mm ) .... remember that ?

Well here we are, several months later and bruised and battered but happy with what I have managed to build in an evening.....

IMG_0353.JPG.26e2a5432db41d2bd48ee6498d948d9e.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG.f544050e4be7abd6bd749984886b8b39.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG.ecdcaee4ba5316d6c7742d353729edf2.JPG

Can you guess what it will be ?

No prizes, just the satisfaction of getting it correct.

There is some minor fettling to do but I am pleased to say I have a free running chassis which awaits the remainder.

And before anyone asks....No, the internal motion doesn't work, its cosmetic as life's too short !

G

I hope you are on the mend Grahame. 

OK a guess from a diesel modeller who has no idea of locos from moonrakerland, it is an Armstrong Goods, which weren't built in Swindon but in Wolverhampton. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I hope you are on the mend Grahame. 

OK a guess from a diesel modeller who has no idea of locos from moonrakerland, it is an Armstrong Goods, which weren't built in Swindon but in Wolverhampton. 

Thank you Clive, slow and steady does it, rather frustrating non the less but I'm pleased to start modelling again it helps enormously!

p.s.

image.jpeg.e15e08cd7f096fd1cabca7de6e6ceaee.jpeg

One of Mr.Armstrongs little locos which has been itching to get out of its box for about 9 months and I'm getting a great deal of satisfaction building it.

G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Well the wish list poll is open and my votes have gone in for new GWR milk tanks and inside framed Syphon G.....again.

I voted for some GWR locos to help the majority who like this thread. I hope I done right by voting for Bulldog and Saint classes. I wasn't too sure on the pre Collett cute panniers so left them alone but I did vote for the Great Bear was that correct? I did vote for some GWR coaches for my own purpose, all the Collett BGs or as the GWR called them passenger train brake vans. They would have been the only off region GWR stock by the mid sixties I could have in Sheffield.

As a diesel modeller the list of opportunities is quite limited and most of what are on the list I have built. I did vote for some DMUs all be it classes I have built or am building. EMUs,LNER Tyneside artics, one of the best looking EMU types ever.  A few LMS, LNER and BR types....one day a B16/3 will be released RTR, the only class of loco I want for my layout, all the others would be nice but not really wanted. A few LMS and LNER coach types were also voted for. Gave up when I got to the freight stock...well the dogs were asking for their walk and that strangely seemed more important.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I voted for some GWR locos to help the majority who like this thread. I hope I done right by voting for Bulldog and Saint classes.

Good vote for the Bulldog, very much needed for Brent in numbers!

21 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Expect super quality from the solebar up. The metal bogies, however, will be of their era, and running qualities simply cannot approach those of today. This may or may not be of concern. Then there are couplings......

Couplings are one of those things I couldn’t care less about, everything just gets fitted with either Dinghams or the Tony Wright design wire loops as a matter of course.  Good to know about the bogies though, a candidate for removal and refitting they frames thinned down onto etched frames.

Will see how I get on...

• RMweb Gold

Re: Wishlist Poll:

Saints and Bulldogs, Saints and Bulldogs.......

I'm building a SE Finecast Saint at the moment so hoping this will prompt a reaction from red or blue team.

Alastair M

Edited by A Murphy
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1