A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Cheers Rob, looking forward to seeing you again, been a while. 

Great to see your excellent work again, up close and personal. Get that Bodmin Air B&B booked young Sir 😉

A good show enhanced by meeting fellow members @88C @Old Gringo but the highlight going home was sharing a bus journey to the station with the venerable @Oldddudders Smashing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

But the only problem IMHO with these is the question of locos with sufficient grunt to haul them and their capability of traversing the “average “ track radius. Splashing the cash could mean ending up with a set of display wallflowers. I think I’d want the opportunity of a trial run first. RTR Hornby King/Castle ? Maybe something on the lines of Samhongsa or similar perhaps.

Weight is a major challenge. I have a friend with a full Lawrence/Goddard set and the only loco that would pull them is a Wills King with extra weight. One reason is the wheels are running in the white metal bogies with no bearings. Common with Lawrence/Goddard builds unless the original customer paid extra for pin point bearings which the BSL bogies are not designed to take. Friends set has now been rebogied, ironically with Larry Parts bogies (Goddard) with pin points and his other kit builds will now pull.

For me it is the lack of window frames. The Centenaries only lasted one season with original Beclawat windows before rebuilding with conventional slide windows began. I built my BSL Centenary diner with the window fames from microstrip. What a job.

Mike Wiltshire

centdiner2.jpg.63e721209b52b29bfd59fd1100c3b67e.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

I know of someone who had heavy rakes of coaches and had extra power by fitting a Black Beetle drive in some. Fine until unintended uncoupling when the train resembled slip coach working.

Brian

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

On 29/09/2024 at 09:00, Mallard60022 said:

They look beautiful Rob and a gr8 price as you say.

Looks like a decent Trader too. Not heard of the Shop before.

Phil

I have bought several Lawrence/Goddard LMS coaches from this Ebay seller recently, all as described and reasonably priced IMHO.

Glenn

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, mattingleycustom said:

I have bought several Lawrence/Goddard LMS coaches from this Ebay seller recently, all as described and reasonably priced IMHO.

Glenn

I've just received the Bulleid. It isn't a Comet Kit BUT it is beautifully Finished including the interior. Looks as if it's never been run let alone handled!

OK so. at £110 it was twice the Cost of a new RTR, BUT I've now got got a Larry Coach after all these years.

This seller knows his stuff too. Superbly Packed so it could have been thrown here and would still have survived! Got a returns policy as well.

If the GWR stuff is of the same quality I'd think seriously about it IF I was a GWR modeller.

P

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I've just put the Goddard Coach on the Layout. It looks really good for what I think is a 1989 build? However the Bogies needed 'spacing' from the UF with some washers (about 0.03mm?) and that was easy as they were just held in place with a small Spring and a Nut that was tight but removeable. I popped Oil on the Bogie ends and yes they aren't in Pin Points, but it now runs as freely as most of my RTR Bulleids! There are no couplings yet, so I can't pop it in a Train as such. I'll maybe pop some wire across the buffers  and lob it on the end of something. I can then see how it likes my Trackwork!

Further tests as a 'proper' Set Coach will follow at some time in the next 10 years.

P

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I see the same seller has also a couple of E147 brake compos for sale.😎

My finger has been hovering over them as I’d like to own one, but given the price would pay for a much more useful second pair of Rapido B sets I’m torn…

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2024 at 12:18, Mallard60022 said:

I've just put the Goddard Coach on the Layout. It looks really good for what I think is a 1989 build? However the Bogies needed 'spacing' from the UF with some washers (about 0.03mm?) and that was easy as they were just held in place with a small Spring and a Nut that was tight but removeable. I popped Oil on the Bogie ends and yes they aren't in Pin Points, but it now runs as freely as most of my RTR Bulleids! There are no couplings yet, so I can't pop it in a Train as such. I'll maybe pop some wire across the buffers  and lob it on the end of something. I can then see how it likes my Trackwork!

Further tests as a 'proper' Set Coach will follow at some time in the next 10 years.

P

The acquired Coach from that chap in Ripon is a 1989 build, but is perfect. Doubt it's seen any layout use. It's not a Comet Kit.

Yesterday I discovered that in real life it was part of a 10 Coach Set on the BR/SR Western Division from 1961 until 1964 (then became part of a 3 Set) and was one of 4 SKs in that 10 set. Other Coaches were 2 BSO's, 2 CKs and 2 SOs!

So, today (and not ten years) I fitted Baccy Fish Tail T.L. Couplings to Parkside (adapted) Coupling 'Pods' stuck to the Bogies. Just the correct height and really good spacing achieved. That was quite lucky and not a faff.

I also created that 10 Coach Set from my hidden stash of RTR Bulleids.

In reality I suspect it would have been a Weymouth Set, but for my purposes it will run to Exeter and Salisbury/Waterloo on Summer Extras and I could use it for a Special in 1964, hauled East from Seaton Junction by Evening Star.

Really just saying that if the other Coaches are as good, and they should be by Goddard, then my offer that was accepted that was just over £100 notes, has given me good value and also forced me to do some modelling! Maybe go for some with an offer? He does returns and that is really handy.

I will be painting the Roof though (VERY carefully) as it's just too light a Grey. I don't think it needs any other modification.

The Set runs without falling off and the RTR lot are in the process of being fitted with Gangway Bellows. It will become one of my 'fixed' Sets, so will remain in Set order on use. (I number the Coaches in these 'fixed' sets, for reference when unpacking from their storage box). The Gangways also hide the T.L's.

Just for info, the Goddard Coach isn't heavy!

All the best,

Phil

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 02/10/2024 at 12:26, gwrrob said:

IMG_1115.jpeg.ff94dba6666d9a7b5aac5e45340fc4bc.jpeg

IMG_1116.jpeg.5f11841061fc3bbbc7e982992b5cbaf1.jpeg

IMG_1115.jpeg.ff94dba6666d9a7b5aac5e45340fc4bc.jpeg

IMG_1118.jpeg.1dd08db6615eca8e0030706fd2a3f984.jpeg

IMG_1117.jpeg.e7b8043d7fa0cab55f74998be970cc3f.jpeg

IMG_1119.jpeg

Mmm... Very nice and beautifully finished.  But a few errors are apparent on closer inspection.  I wonder why they have put bars behind the droplights in the luggage compartment doors when GW coaches had grills.  And the tie bars on the 7ft Plate bogies seem to have been put on upside down.  But I'm sure these issues can be corrected and the models do show great promise.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have no idea Rob. Phoenix? Larry might remember or someone like Chris might know.

Phil

All the Centenaries I saw Derek Lawrence building were from BSL/Phoenix kits. He was close friends of Ron Coleman of BSL and had access to the BSL 'specials' that did not appear in the Hobbytime lists, such as the GWR articulated train. I was always grateful to Derek for sourcing the full articulated train for me.

Mike Wiltshire

Derek also supplied complete coach kits. I knew I had it somewhere. A Westdale slip coach body with parts from BSL, Larry Parts bogies.

20241004_120620.jpg.ea2fd31a6ee7d29e5993829ec91c20f1.jpg

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

All the Centenaries I saw Derek Lawrence building were from BSL/Phoenix kits. He was close friends of Ron Coleman of BSL and had access to the BSL 'specials' that did not appear in the Hobbytime lists, such as the GWR articulated train. I was always grateful to Derek for sourcing the full articulated train for me.

Mike Wiltshire

Derek also supplied complete coach kits. I knew I had it somewhere. A Westdale slip coach body with parts from BSL, Larry Parts bogies.

20241004_120620.jpg.ea2fd31a6ee7d29e5993829ec91c20f1.jpg

I suspect that the Bulleid will be a BSL then Mike. Thanks a lot.

I've heard from Larry and he did the paint job on my Bulleid after a Lawrence 'builder' (he had a Team) had done the build!

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Spellin'
  • Like 3