A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Cheers Rob, looking forward to seeing you again, been a while. 

Great to see your excellent work again, up close and personal. Get that Bodmin Air B&B booked young Sir 😉

A good show enhanced by meeting fellow members @88C @Old Gringo but the highlight going home was sharing a bus journey to the station with the venerable @Oldddudders Smashing.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

But the only problem IMHO with these is the question of locos with sufficient grunt to haul them and their capability of traversing the “average “ track radius. Splashing the cash could mean ending up with a set of display wallflowers. I think I’d want the opportunity of a trial run first. RTR Hornby King/Castle ? Maybe something on the lines of Samhongsa or similar perhaps.

Weight is a major challenge. I have a friend with a full Lawrence/Goddard set and the only loco that would pull them is a Wills King with extra weight. One reason is the wheels are running in the white metal bogies with no bearings. Common with Lawrence/Goddard builds unless the original customer paid extra for pin point bearings which the BSL bogies are not designed to take. Friends set has now been rebogied, ironically with Larry Parts bogies (Goddard) with pin points and his other kit builds will now pull.

For me it is the lack of window frames. The Centenaries only lasted one season with original Beclawat windows before rebuilding with conventional slide windows began. I built my BSL Centenary diner with the window fames from microstrip. What a job.

Mike Wiltshire

centdiner2.jpg.63e721209b52b29bfd59fd1100c3b67e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1