A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Obviously colour is a very personal (and polarising) subject but that bauxite looks more like chocolate brown to me. Is it that brown in the flesh @gwrrob?

Don't confuse LMS bauxite with what BR later used. Quite different colours.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Yes, it does have a chocolate look to it but checking it against what's offered in a tin by Precision Paint it's not far away. Consistent with other LMS wagons [D1666] I have from Rapido.

Corbs and crew have the LMS paint schedules for the freight liveries and am sure they have come up with a well researched colour, as you say it also matches closely with the Precisions paints. LMS Bauxite has an element of black in the mix giving the darker shade.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Obviously colour is a very personal (and polarising) subject but that bauxite looks more like chocolate brown to me. Is it that brown in the flesh @gwrrob?

Having seen them in a different photographs now, they look more like the bauxite I know (and love).

• RMweb Premium

Any of you crazy kids fancy a LSWR Cross Country set?  Rails have them on special for £129:50 for the 3 sets and £169:50 for the 4 carriage sets.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/efe-rail-e86015-lswr-cross-country-3-coach-pack-br-sr-green

I'm tempted by another set but with the Toplights and LSWR Corridors* (🤞) coming, I have to calm myself down a bit.

* pure speculation on my part but that T3 needs some corridors behind it, surely?

Edited by Tim Dubya
more coffee
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good morning Rob,

Having seen your comment on the Little Muddle thread, all I can say is a no-day week (retirement) is better than a three day.

Then you can listen to all the Pistols/Clash/Stranglers/etc you want 😃

Cheers, Nigel.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

19 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Those insignia seem too small to me. I can't find an official dimension. Or maybe were there height variations?

Silly me. I did flick through Russell, but in my haste, I didn't look at the last page!  Here is the answer, courtesy of Pete Speller.

gwr-insignia-from-russell.jpg.5fb638ae93657f06091d8a818725b6e7.jpg

So, the answer is 9" across the yellow. Pete adds that, according to his traced artwork, the red is 1-5/8" & the black 1-13/16" & the keyline is 1/8" black.

The 3'6" + 3'6" spacing is for all classes except pannier tanks, where the letters are spaced to clear the tank joints. There may be some other exceptions, but I'll leave that for another day.

Once again, apologies for the balls up. Somewhat egg on face, but I now know more than the textbooks say, so maybe there is a silver lining. Result!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Now all we need is some of the more elderly pannier tanks, like the 850, 1076 and 2021 classes. A few of each made it into BR, but not necessarily, BR livery.

850s and 2021s yes, but I thought the last 1076 went in 1946?

Edited by melmoth
spelling, as ever
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Now all we need is some of the more elderly pannier tanks, like the 850, 1076 and 2021 classes.

A 2021 shouldn't be far off, now that I've started my Nu-Cast kit.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

9 hours ago, melmoth said:

but I thought the last 1076 went in 1946?

Yes. 1287, 1585 and 1624 made it to early 1946. 1287 lived on as a stationary boiler somewhere until 1953 (so doesn't count as a running loco).

Edited by Miss Prism
1624 included
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

I guess possibly reflecting a downturn in newer replacement locos in the early-1930s slump/recession. There was a bit of a gap between the 57xx locos (1929-30) and the first batches of the 8750s in 1933 onward.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Some 2021s made it through to the mid-late 1950s and definitely in BR livery.

Including several based at Birkenhead, which came under LM region control and were overhauled at Derby, if I remember correctly

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2136-tyseley-1950-small.jpg.14e377a91be110c44f2e2d770c727ead.jpg

2136 at Tyseley, 1950. Almost certainly one of the locos overhauled at Derby (or were some done at Crewe?). Red-background plates and a white circle around the power group. I don't think any of the 2021s survived to receive late crests.

On the 2021s, were the vacuum and steam pipe routing on the valances the reverse of the normal convention?

• Like 19