A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

As I've pointed out before, when the original RT1 contract was signed between Railtrack and BR on 1.4.94, there was no mention anywhere of vegetation clearance. While there was a scramble in subsequent weeks to rectify that, it has clearly never been a key issue even in the NR era. 

Perhaps not but that would surely have been covered by a requirement to maintain the railway infrastructure in a safe condition to fulfil its function.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Perhaps not but that would surely have been covered by a requirement to maintain the railway infrastructure in a safe condition to fulfil its function.

I regret to recall that the Railtrack era was not littered with shining examples of that. Potters Bar and Hatfield do come to mind, though. And if Railtrack's supplier - BRIS as it then was, prior to the BRIS Units being sold off - was not contracted to do something, then like any other contractor, it would not get done. You may assume that senior managers in BRIS HQ ground their teeth at some of the goings-on in Railtrack, and indeed at the negotiating stance often taken by Railtrack managers in the run-up to 1.4.94. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Not according to the discussions between GWR drivers from the area on another forum yesterday who mentioned it was near the same spot as the 21 June incident.

As they were saying NR were expecting the line remain closed until at least 15.00 then if it were at Plymouth station I don't think John would have been taken there to continue his journey.

I only went by the media information, due to having no other source, the one driver I know moved to Bristol a few years ago.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, John Besley said:

Can't belive how much vegetation clobbered the sides of the train in Cornwall... bit like off roading in a Landy..driving down overgrown green lanes

It doesn't just happen in Cornwall, by a long chalk....

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I regret to recall that the Railtrack era was not littered with shining examples of that. Potters Bar and Hatfield do come to mind, though. And if Railtrack's supplier - BRIS as it then was, prior to the BRIS Units being sold off - was not contracted to do something, then like any other contractor, it would not get done. You may assume that senior managers in BRIS HQ ground their teeth at some of the goings-on in Railtrack, and indeed at the negotiating stance often taken by Railtrack managers in the run-up to 1.4.94. 

Indeed so, Ian. As Max Boyce said, I was there...

I was referring to the requirement rather than its execution.

This is an example of a common problem - specifying too much detail in technical requirements, so that providers can argue legitimately that they weren't obliged to do something that wasn't embodied specifically in the contract. Far better to have a smaller set of broad, overarching performance requirements to achieve a higher-level outcome.

Less is more.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Lovely stuff - happy days!  Looks like you got great weather for it.

Sunshine and showers, a cracking present with bonus of a trip up the Dart on the paddle steamer Kingswear Castle celebrating her 100 year birthday.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

As I've pointed out before, when the original RT1 contract was signed between Railtrack and BR on 1.4.94, there was no mention anywhere of vegetation clearance. While there was a scramble in subsequent weeks to rectify that, it has clearly never been a key issue even in the NR era. 

Yes, things moved on somewhat from the RT1 contract, especially once maintenance was taken in house.

But vegetation control has always been an easy target when budgets are being squeezed (which was most of the time, when I was working).

It was always extremely frustrating. 

The whole situation is a complete and utter disgrace. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Another tree down this morning - on the Henley branch.  Particularly embarrassing as it's the Royal Regatta.  Reported that no main line trains were stopping at Twyford possibly in an attempt to manage the huge crowds that use the train on these occasions..

• RMweb Gold

I didn’t see you on the footplate when I was down at Paignton South doing the barriers, Robin! 
IMG_7431.jpeg.55c2b35a430cbaf38a26acd777233a91.jpeg

1630 departure. Photo taken whilst no safety-critical duties were being undertaken and following full PTS measures. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Brinkly said:

I didn’t see you on the footplate when I was down at Paignton South doing the barriers, Robin! 

1630 departure. Photo taken whilst no safety-critical duties were being undertaken and following full PTS measures. 

Nice to see someone else using a Dapol product.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Just missed you then @Brinkly 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Not according to the discussions between GWR drivers from the area on another forum yesterday who mentioned it was near the same spot as the 21 June incident.

As they were saying NR were expecting the line remain closed until at least 15.00 then if it were at Plymouth station I don't think John would have been taken there to continue his journey.

According to the Guard of our train it was at Tavistock Jct... 

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

So were you 'on the cushions' for this trip, Robin?

On the return from Kingswear although disappointed the Devon Belle observation saloon is currently out of service. A very enjoyable day.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

On the return from Kingswear although disappointed the Devon Belle observation saloon is currently out of service. A very enjoyable day.

Any pictures from the footplate?

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

We had many rain showers here, so I hope you had better weather.

Good evening folks,

I remember travelling to Salisbury from Bristol via Westbury some 10 years ago and was amazed at the amount of vegetation striking the train at Dilton Marsh.

I checked the 150 unit at Salisbury for paint scratches but there seemed to be no obvious additional scrapes.

Doesn't sound like things have got any better 🙁

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

69a905fb-46c1-4ed9-b9d7-ae0adc36860b.jpeg.f8c38e949372ef333a46eb31b3cc5ff0.jpeg

Hi Robin,

Really pleased to see you had a great day on 7827.

However, it would appear your apparel has been reported to the Newton About shed foreman as non-BR standard uniform.

Suitable work attire can be found here....

https://www.yarmo.co.uk/products/yarmo-bib-and-brace-overalls-sailcloth-cotton-bb01

Here:

https://www.yarmo.co.uk/products/yarmo-sailcoth-engineers-jacket-jk011

As well as here:

https://footplateequipment.co.uk/product/traditional-greasetop-hat-cap/

Please report to the Newton About  shed foreman's office at 06.30hrs on Monday morning, where you will be given form 'British Railways (Western Region/ANTB) 7800-7829' to obtain your new uniform.

All being well this will address the said issue. 

The following items will also be issued from stores on receipt of form 'British Railways (Western Region/ANTB)- 80ll0cks

https://footplateequipment.co.uk/product-category/equipment/tea-brew-cans/

and...

https://footplateequipment.co.uk/product/firing-shovel-heavy-duty/

By the way.

Looks like a fabulous day on 7827. Glad you enjoyed yourself. 

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I couldn’t due to the excess movement of the fall plate moving me about to keep the camera steady.

IMG_0952.jpeg.de97e2f229e858464607739445387d9a.jpeg

IMG_0971.jpeg.b025cf82781b57127af4558cb71c3b61.jpeg

Lovely snaps Robin.

Does 7827 have a rocking grate fitted to the firebox? 

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Correction... there used to be a jacket not tp dissimilar to the old Donkey jacket without the waterproof shoulder these where issued once you'd completed 300 firing turns

Edited by John Besley
Corrected text
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1