A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

A bit of normality has returned to the garage and good timing as more goodies turned up this morning in the shape of two delightful Dapol Air Ministry oil tankers. Photos anon.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I went to their shop in Watchet a few times. They must have liked visitors, because you always, always went away having spent more than you planned for!

Back in the day I used Dave’s shop in Chandlers Ford ( near Eastleigh) my wallet was much relieved with the relocation to Watchet! Having said that, holidays in Somerset were at risk of becoming too expensive…

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

There was similar emporium near to me in Shepton Mallet, run by Chris Challis of RailWells fame.

One that is still much missed, I'd say.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

One that is still much missed, I'd say.

I used to go to his evening events back in the late 80's, always fascinating times.

Stephen 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I went to their shop in Watchet a few times. They must have liked visitors, because you always, always went away having spent more than you planned for!

Sandhole and I would make a special, annual trip to Watchet to stock up for the year. There was always something 'interesting' not listed to be found. I recall coming away with a chassis for a Kemilway 47xx and 61xx. First and only time I ever saw them.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'm not sure Berry Wiggins would be seen in the West Country

Nor am I!

I think you need to get the wagon marshalled in the consist for the Tavistock Jct to Severn Tunnel Jct overnight goods service asap. Once at Severn Tunnel Jct it can be tripped to Gloucester and thence to the Forest of Dean, it's proper home!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

thence to the Forest of Dean, it's proper home!

I blame Mr Branson @46444 🤣

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Sorry about the flash bounce on my photos but you'll get the gist of the quality of these anyway. Beautiful well weighted although not free running models. I'm not sure Berry Wiggins would be seen in the West Country but I like the livery. Hopefully more liveries are forthcoming.

DSCN9317.JPG.cf591977552a8a773b815543f54a399e.JPG

DSCN9318.JPG.1309631177d8cfbde55da09c35060243.JPG

DSCN9319.JPG.66132adcbdc0c32989355eac977899f6.JPG

Nice garage.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Nor am I!

I think you need to get the wagon marshalled in the consist for the Tavistock Jct to Severn Tunnel Jct overnight goods service asap. Once at Severn Tunnel Jct it can be tripped to Gloucester and thence to the Forest of Dean, it's proper home!

Surely Berry Wiggins's home was Kingsnorth, on the Isle of Grain? From there they were producing asphalt and bitumen for road surfacing a century ago. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Surely Berry Wiggins's home was Kingsnorth, on the Isle of Grain? From there they were producing asphalt and bitumen for road surfacing a century ago. 

But don’t you go for the posh London address, even though the grunt is done elsewhere?

Paul.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I was referring to their holiday home in the Forest of Dean.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

14 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

But don’t you go for the posh London address, even though the grunt is done elsewhere?

Paul.

In later times, the Kingsnorth address was applied to the wagons. There's a photo of one in the Tourett book.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Much ado about nothing it seems...

The latest Hornby announcement? What, you don't want yet another ER mainline loco, a HST (sans buffers), or an old wagon they found under the sofa?

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

The latest Hornby announcement? What, you don't want yet another ER mainline loco, a HST (sans buffers), or an old wagon they found under the sofa?

Not quite the Great Bear but Bore instead 😂 thanks @adb968008

Edited by gwrrob
Detail
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Not quite the Great Bear but Bore instead 😂 thanks @adb968008

Its not very often I chose to leave a live model railway announcement part way through and return to work instead, but those spreadsheets were more appealing.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/06/2024 at 11:32, Dunsignalling said:

In later times, the Kingsnorth address was applied to the wagons. There's a photo of one in the Tourett book.

Is that the book that has a random but often repeated word (such as Biscuit) typed in CAPITALS every so often?

Apologies  DS, as I wanted to arsk you about Bloaters and if you'd remember ever seeing one heading through Honiton east or west and no later than 1965?

A pal of mine has just got and EFE (?) one and it looks very good.

ATB to you all,

Philth

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Is that the book that has a random but often repeated word (such as Biscuit) typed in CAPITALS every so often?

Apologies  DS, as I wanted to arsk you about Bloaters and if you'd remember ever seeing one heading through Honiton east or west and no later than 1965?

A pal of mine has just got and EFE (?) one and it looks very good.

ATB to you all,

Philth

Hi Phil,

TBH, any that did would almost certainly been in parcels traffic and the converted ones looked so much like the PasFruit D that I doubt I'd have noticed the difference in a moving train.

Back-thread, a kind individual did advise me of the number of one so used that retained the inboard sliding doors (W2135W). I don't need telling twice and that will  be my first. Based on the Ref:E87061 model. I've added the missing vents but am yet to do the lighting gear and vacuum pipes. I intend to fit another with external plywood doors later after the photo in the GWR Wagon bible.

Markings need altering as follows: "FISH" and "BLOATER" to be removed; running number to be moved from RH end to where "BLOATER" is as bought. Some if not all also had "FOR PARCELS TRAFFIC" or "PARCELS TRAFFIC RETURN TO PADDINGTON" (or other location) added to higher planks above the "10T". The "Bible" photo and one in the Pendragon NPCCS volume (Peter Tatlow) show how it looked.

Hope this helps;

Regards, John

BTW, the full title of Mr Tourett's volume is Petroleum Railtank Wagons of Britain. I have a vague recollection of occasional Berry Wiggins tanks at Exeter Basin, but I doubt they'd have come down the Southern.   

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/06/2024 at 20:36, Dunsignalling said:

Hi Phil,

TBH, any that did would almost certainly been in parcels traffic and the converted ones looked so much like the PasFruit D that I doubt I'd have noticed the difference in a moving train.

Back-thread, a kind individual did advise me of the number of one so used that retained the inboard sliding doors (W2135W). I don't need telling twice and that will  be my first. Based on the Ref:E87061 model. I've added the missing vents but am yet to do the lighting gear and vacuum pipes. I intend to fit another with external plywood doors later after the photo in the GWR Wagon bible.

Markings need altering as follows: "FISH" and "BLOATER" to be removed; running number to be moved from RH end to where "BLOATER" is as bought. Some if not all also had "FOR PARCELS TRAFFIC" or "PARCELS TRAFFIC RETURN TO PADDINGTON" (or other location) added to higher planks above the "10T". The "Bible" photo and one in the Pendragon NPCCS volume (Peter Tatlow) show how it looked.

Hope this helps;

Regards, John

BTW, the full title of Mr Tourett's volume is Petroleum Railtank Wagons of Britain. I have a vague recollection of occasional Berry Wiggins tanks at Exeter Basin, but I doubt they'd have come down the Southern. 

Many thanks John. Not sure I really need one (any) more Bloating.

All the best.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

Thought I may as well ask the question on here as well (as the 'Help' section)...

I bought a cheap Hornby 2721 pannier body at the Exeter show yesterday and was wondering how faithful (or not) to the prototype is was, please?

I don't mind hacking it about a bit and I'll make up a suitable chassis from one of the etched kits, but I really need to know if I should even bother in the first place?...

Many thanks.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Greetings,

Thought I may as well ask the question on here as well (as the 'Help' section)...

I bought a cheap Hornby 2721 pannier body at the Exeter show yesterday and was wondering how faithful (or not) to the prototype is was, please?

I don't mind hacking it about a bit and I'll make up a suitable chassis from one of the etched kits, but I really need to know if I should even bother in the first place?...

Many thanks.

There are several people who have made “improvements “ to the loco - myself included - and it’s a fair representation. 

Obviously it depends how far you want to go, but the huge improvement would be to open up the space under the pannier tanks - daylight should be visible under the boiler.

A new chassis would be a big improvement here. I understand it’s possible to get a Bachmann motor and chassis underneath - which after I receive my Accurascale pannier, one of my old Bachmann locos might find itself as a donor.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Greetings,

Many thanks.

@Mikkel wrote the definitive blog on this subject and the Hornby body is fairly accurate apart from the chimney and middle splashers which match the innacurate Hornby chassis. I had a bash at fitting it to a newer Bachmann chassis and replaced the wonky Collett bunker with a Churchward inspired bunker fettled from the rear end of a redundant Airfix Castlr tender.IMG_5284.jpeg.bd625d6d08913126639c31d1a078f5bf.jpeg

• Like 19