A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
On 26/12/2023 at 13:08, Miss Prism said:

It's a fictional wooden bogie Mink, getting its inspiration from the Bogie Iron Mink (diagram V1)

Somewhat incongrous as a Parcels Van, which would have had more sets of doors.

I'd remove the "Parcels Van" logo and replace it with a "Return To Old Oak Common"....

and definitely stuff it in a fast mixed van train behind a 47XX or a Hall.    It's too nice not to run, despite being fictitious.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, M.I.B said:

I'd remove the "Parcels Van" logo and replace it with a "Return To Old Oak Common"....

and definitely stuff it in a fast mixed van train behind a 47XX or a Hall.    It's too nice not to run, despite being fictitious.

@Tony Wright per the discussion on Wright Writes, please don't worry about sending this van to the Antipodes. I'm sure you can find it a home nearer to home, so to speak.

Thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/12/2023 at 07:01, Mikkel said:

Is the K's kit dimensionally correct? I seem to remember an issue with the length of the panels. But not at home so can't check.

A bit late to the party I admit, but I thought the photo below might be of interest as this doesn't seem to have been shewn before:

At the top is one side of a deconstructed Blacksmith O7 which fits well with the drawing in the Slinn / Clarke GW Siphons book. The lower is the Keyser version. For what it's worth the DJB Engineering version which came with sides and roof as one pre-formed piece also matches the Blacksmith sides dimensionally.

IMG_1219.jpg

Edited by Oil-burner
Replaced photo
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Thank you. So the center panel is the problematic bit. Although the K's side doesn't really look *wrong* from an impressionistic point of view.

Very arty, Darling. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Already commented on in the main thread.

Hope they are able to take care of it, it's very noticeable and detracts from the model. Looks like a separate component so fingers crossed.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Already commented on in the main thread.

13 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I'll be sending my chimney comments to Accurascale this morning.

At least it’s not Dapol you’re dealing with so you’ll get a response.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Thank you. So the center panel is the problematic bit. Although the K's side doesn't really look *wrong* from an impressionistic point of view.

Essentially, unless measured or placed alongside a truly accurate alternative, very few people could tell. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:
17 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Essentially, unless measured or placed alongside a truly accurate alternative, very few people could tell. 

This recent exchange is not the first I've read this year about the K's Siphon F.  It seems it's not quite the travesty that some have in the past suggested.  So mine's been restored to my parcels train and given a spin or two.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

First released well over a decade [2011] now , the Hornby horsebox is a rather nice vehicle

Very nice pic. Yep, a lovely model. Hornby get a lot of knocking but a lot of their 21st century output has been superb. 

(Was just about to put some Siphon F pics on my thread but can't get them to upload. End of year gremlins!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Very nice pic. Yep, a lovely model. Hornby get a lot of knocking but a lot of their 21st century output has been superb. 

(Was just about to put some Siphon F pics on my thread but can't get them to upload. End of year gremlins!)

That was the problem with Hornby, though: They could make high quality GWR/WR models when they wanted to but it didn't happen often enough. The good stuff was subsumed by trainsets, gimmicks, lazy reworking of old models and an obsession with the LNER!

I used the past tense because I hope that's going to change now!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 5
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

First released well over a decade [2011] now , the Hornby horsebox is a rather nice vehicle with an underframe right up my street , added to a single E147 coach as here. I wonder if there might be something new coming [for us] in their announcement in January.

DSCN8624.JPG.6fa5abe77e68f0deb3654c7a26f16559.jpg.30c783aab9928645b4d17e2b3151ad79.jpg

Are you start a ANTB wishlist thread Robin? 😄 🤣

59 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

That was the problem with Hornby, though: They could make high quality GWR/WR models when they wanted to but it didn't happen often enough. The good stuff was subsumed by trainsets, gimmicks, lazy reworking of old models and an obsession with the LNER!

I used the past tense because I hope that's going to change now!

Yes, lets hope we get a fair crack of the whip in 2024.

• Agree 5