A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

26 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I did warn of incoming artillery…🤐

Ready.

0300099d.jpg.0c50bef153df7798be2822b008fcbdc3.jpg

Although it does take the heat off those of us who still have a fleet of clattery old Airfix Autotanks!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yet another ask ... I am sorry. I ask here as I know that you all knw this stuff and also I won't get a load of duff comments on an open section Post.

Western Region Cab side 'Dots'; the Red and Blue Classification Type. I've searched Fox but cant see any. 

Anyone know a source please OR how did you do one, if you ever did?

Many thanks.

P

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yet another ask ... I am sorry. I ask here as I know that you all knw this stuff and also I won't get a load of duff comments on an open section Post.

Western Region Cab side 'Dots'; the Red and Blue Classification Type. I've searched Fox but cant see any. 

Anyone know a source please OR how did you do one, if you ever did?

Many thanks.

P

BCAC5001-09C3-491A-9E76-9FA48B4922EC.jpeg.dcdf112c032e4b09fc79634663880bff.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Darwinian said:

I am intrigued. The clerestory behind the Collett appears to be all one colour. Lake? Brown? Filthy?

I think it (an all 3rd) looks like all-brown livery, not unknown for older stock in the mid-1930s onward, although perhaps more usual on PLVs at that time. Contrast the same type of coach at the front, in brown and cream, looking fairly clean, and still with its bogie stepboards. The train looks like a set of Brk 3rd, Composite, All 3rd, Brake 3rd, and sandwiched by the leading strengther and some unidentifiable antiquity on the rear.

The train could be a 'stopper-all-stations', perhaps from Temple Meads, so might explain why the loco needed a bit of a water topup. The Toplight and Collett have corridors, but the train as a whole is non-gangwayed. Bristol to London stopping at all stations took an age.

Compare with the leading coach acting as a train strengthener in this picture, which I also think is probably in all brown. (It could be the same coach!)

That's just my reading of the picture - others may have a different view.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Rob is right. The body is very good, the chassis is an abomination.

I bought another one second-hand (but as new) from a friend recently. It ran as badly as I expected. I already had an etched chassis kit waiting for it...

Which one? Comet, High Level......?

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil

I have a Hattons/DJM 14xx and it runs fine. I use what were KPC hand-held controllers with feedback tuned to virtually zero.

On one occasion, a controller came back from repair with the feedback accidentally 'on' - and the 14xx performed as well as the average kangeroo! (All other locos were fine.)

The controller was returned and corrected...and all was well again!🙂

Brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Mine worked well under DC control but turned into a complete dog under dcc.  Still haven’t got round to playing with setting to try and resolve it

Mine seems very happy under the DCC setup fitted by YouChoos for me: 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Which one? Comet, High Level......?

In this case, it is a Comet one, but the first one I did has a Perseverance chassis. I've known of High Level chassis also being fitted to the DJM/Hattons body, but no matter what chassis is used, some modification to the chassis is required, to make it fit the DJM/Hattons body, as I believe that all three of the above chassis kits were originally designed with the Airfix/Hornby 14XX in mind.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm! 

I see KMRC have announced this Class 158 for pasty connoisseurs of a dubious provenance?

What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, John Besley said:

Looks like the fireman emptied the tender on the South Devon banks... 

He'd have a job to as he's not on the footplate.😁

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

He'd have a job to as he's not on the footplate.😁

Amazing what happens in Marley Head Tunnel...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, 46444 said:

Hmmmm! 

I see KMRC have announced this Class 158 for pasty connoisseurs of a dubious provenance?

What could possibly go wrong?

Ginster was the nickname for our school headmaster - combination of his favourite tipple and surname. Funny to see it emblazoned over a DMU 60 years later. That would have brought the house down in 1960s Weston-super-Mare amongst all us teenage boys.

• Like 3