A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Or a curved frame Duke - survivors all renumbered into the 9000 series. 9073 Mounts Bay appropriate name to run through Mid Cornwall lines!

Mike Wiltshire

Withdrawn the day before the time period of the MCL, unfortunately...

https://railuk.info/steam/getsteam.php?row_id=4019

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

we see one of Laira's in the shape of 4966 Shakenhurst Hall on stopping train duties.

Such a realistic finish on that loco.  Looks like the oily grime would come off on your finger if you touched it.  Reminds me of trainspotting days at Shrewsbury in the early 60s, finger writing the GWR insignia onto the tenders of Halls, Castles, Kings, Manors etc. " Oi, what you doin' to moy engine?" I remember one driver saying, with a grin on his face.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Can anyone put a more accurate date on this (presumably ex-works) pic of 4035 in unlined green? I'm inclined to think it is pre-1945 rather than post-1945 because of the painted-over safety valve cover, although I doubt there was that much consistency at the time.

4035-postwar-small.jpg.c1668d7df29dd65907a74aed26a8e191.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all. I have no idea as usual so need to ask a question if I may?

The Dapol 43XX is a neat little Engine and I have acquired another 7311. 

I already have that one renumbered to 7310. 7311 is not an Engine that would have graced Seaton Junction!

I see that 7301 to 7305 had 'Detail Differences' and wondered if these were very obvious, if I were to renumber 7311 to 7303 (Weymouth allocated until '62 ish). It's a bit of a rare allocation and I'd like an excuse for it to be popped on a WR diversion at Yeovil, circa 1960/61!

I could also go for any Taunton, or Bristol, or Exeter Engines, circa 1959 to 1962, but 7316 is already allocated to yet another I happen to have got!

Many thanks.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

7301-05 all had outside steampipes. 7311 was withdrawn in 1960 anyway.

Thanks Rob. 7311 has outside Pipes.  I was thinking there may have been some other sort of visible Detail Differences. I'm using brdatabase for info on the Pipe Engines, but it doesn't give any thing else and I have no Books with relevant stuff in.

Phil

On 06/10/2023 at 00:23, Miss Prism said:

Can anyone put a more accurate date on this (presumably ex-works) pic of 4035 in unlined green? I'm inclined to think it is pre-1945 rather than post-1945 because of the painted-over safety valve cover, although I doubt there was that much consistency at the time.

As I am sure you are aware 4035 was reported as being in 'A' Shop in April 1946 (Railway Observer 207), the previous reporting, as far as I can see, was May 1942 (RO 161) when she was listed as having been painted black. If, as your livery pages state, the safety valve covers were painted black at the time, might one conjecture that it might have been considered expedient in 1946 to repaint the cover rather than strip it? 

Ken...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

7303 has a high washout plug line on the firebox (like the others of its batch), but looks standard to me. 

7303-small.jpg.27dcfa2532061ea5dfa6e0614cd1bb84.jpg

I think I can live with that difference. I wonder if it's the Firebox that is different (Steel/Copper) that adds a bit of weight to the Engine? The Detail Differences mentioned in the ABC, showed added weight.

Anyway, that's a lovely pic thanks  and it was Shedded at Weymouth until 12/62 and a year later it was at Taunton, until 9/64.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

They can't be far away as Andy has some on his desk for review.

DapolToplights1.jpg.d100ee4694833a687bf108462a0f439f.jpg.7ae72aea26a542f95cf1fb01f61c9b2a.jpg

They look great - thanks Robin.

I wonder if the bogies will be available separately. Hopefully Yes!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

They can't be far away as Andy has some on his desk for review.

DapolToplights1.jpg.d100ee4694833a687bf108462a0f439f.jpg.7ae72aea26a542f95cf1fb01f61c9b2a.jpg

This will probably sound like nit-picking but the tail lamp looks a bit odd. Shouldn't it be on one of the side brackets and have a red lens (and body?). It also looks a bit chunky...

Otherwise, super stuff and I look forward to the corridor versions!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Some good news in that my Accurascale Manors have arrived in the warehouse ready to be checked and despatched.😎

manorsarrived.jpg.c5726e7110e35b9e9c5f4d06dba261c5.jpg

Wot wuns you 'avin, Squire. 

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Some good news in that my Accurascale Manors have arrived in the warehouse ready to be checked and despatched.😎

manorsarrived.jpg.c5726e7110e35b9e9c5f4d06dba261c5.jpg

Blimey…

You've ordered a lot?

How many where in the class?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Thirty, twenty by the GW and a further 10 by BR.

I think  Rob, will have a job to get all those locos on ANTB.

And if you are keen, there are the ones (officially ten) that BR planned (names and numbers allocated), but not built.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I think  Rob, will have a job to get all those locos on ANTB.

I can only conclude that such a large volume of Manors can only mean one thing - Robin is going to be running some kind of competition with Manors as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. prizes...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1