A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

21 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

On a positive, this gives Hornby yet another money spinning opportunity to release yet another version of the Flying Scrapsman to accompany the six already released to the collecting masses. 

The post-prang edition will have a slightly shorter tender and a selection of Humbrol touch up paints. 

Rob. 

Could I replicate using a B17 tender 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 hours ago, Denbridge said:

The 'storage' in the vehicle is more than adequate (I've travelled in it). There is a limit to what can be planned for and this was an extremely hard impact. It was lucky there weren't more serious injuries.

Whilst I would agree that the Flying Scotsman is a historically important artefact (as are all other preserved locomotives) and hope that any damage is negligible, I too got bored of the hype and all the peripheral tat surrounding it about thirty years ago, it's rather like those oldies radio stations, you can pretty much predict which of about six records.

My only thought on the whole matter of the collision, as someone who has rebuilt worked on and driven all manner of vintage vehicles , is who would reverse up to a stationary object at that speed in a brand new car, let alone 100 tons of steam engine? I do hope for those concerned it was some mechanical malfunction, rather than pilot error.

Regardless, I suspect that it will be a nail in the coffin of preservation in general.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/09/2023 at 12:29, BMacdermott said:

Hello Phil

The 00 Poll Team removed the class from The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022 as it had been consistently Low Polling over the years, with no sign of any upward progression.

Do readers here want it back in?

Brian

Yes please

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

That sounds like the piece of s#ite I sent to you is dead and buried! Can't blame you for that in any way!

ATB

Phil

Not at all Phil - Needs to be finished - it's sitting on a DCC fitted Hornby chassis.    But never say no to another one this close to Paddington.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Denbridge said:

The 'storage' in the vehicle is more than adequate (I've travelled in it). There is a limit to what can be planned for and this was an extremely hard impact. It was lucky there weren't more serious injuries.

The first questions asked were why the fittings ended up like this and how come so many Glass bottles were able to tumble. 

Thus, the storage of this stuff and the place and standard of fitting was questioned almost immediately. NOT by me, but by those with a hell of lot more knowledge and Railway experience.

Let's see what the Inspectors say about it eh?

This isn't the place to star a discussion about the incident.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Denbridge said:

I have to say I find your lack of regard for FS rather childish. Whatever your personal views it IS historically important, a last survivor of a great class as well as one of far too few surviving LNER designs.

Bed, wrong side? That's two of us you've had a go at. maybe you don't get the history of this particular thread and it's banter?

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

On a positive, this gives Hornby yet another money spinning opportunity to release yet another version of the Flying Scrapsman to accompany the six already released to the collecting masses. 

The post-prang edition will have a slightly shorter tender and a selection of Humbrol touch up paints. 

Rob. 

Careful or you will be castigated. (No pain will be caused).

P

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

Not at all Phil - Needs to be finished - it's sitting on a DCC fitted Hornby chassis.    But never say no to another one this close to Paddington.

Blimey...well done especially the DCC bit. have sent a PM by the way.

P

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And now for more bone shaking news..no,not the FS……After a tiff of some 3 years duration……Rails is once again a Hornby retailer. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Mmmmmmm.............not in anyway linked to at least one relatively recent departure.....? 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And now for more bone shaking news..no,not the FS……After a tiff of some 3 years duration……Rails is once again a Hornby retailer. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Tiers for souvenirs.

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I don't remember the same amount of carnage when the  Titfield Thunderbolt caught up with it's train. Mr Valentine didn't spill a drop as I recall. 

I thought he'd hidden all the bottles in the bushes a bit earlier!...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Visited their website and slightly surprised to find them listing the Coronation coaches for pre-order.  I tried to order from my favourite retailer in January 2022 but they had been allocated 2 sets only.  I wonder where any Rails allocation came from?

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget Hornby are a retailer as well as a manufacturer and as such they hold stock /allocated stock themselves. 

And.........retailers don't always take up their expected ( by Hornby ) allocation so these unallocated stocks are retained by Hornby. So, not surprised that Rails are able to obtain items. 

But...........if Rails are able to obtain items that other retailers have been pegged back on, that's arguably a bit naughty. 

Rob. 

• Agree 5

32 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Don't forget Hornby are a retailer as well as a manufacturer and as such they hold stock /allocated stock themselves. 

And.........retailers don't always take up their expected ( by Hornby ) allocation so these unallocated stocks are retained by Hornby. So, not surprised that Rails are able to obtain items. 

But...........if Rails are able to obtain items that other retailers have been pegged back on, that's arguably a bit naughty. 

Rob. 

It may be though that all retailers can now obtain them, but the rush for pre-ordering was likely back in January when Hornby do the big old announcements.  Having stock available to pre-order now is probably a case of once bitten twice shy, why put yourself up for another fall.  ROS have not such worry (at the moment) as they are making a song and dance about being retailers again so people will go and look and pre-order.  I doubt many people would pop over to a smaller retailer with a pre-existing Hornby relationship if they said they had Hornby stock available to pre-order.

• Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm now getting tempted by a different green engine.

One school of thought might suggest it starts with a '9' and only has four driving wheels... 😉

With apologies for going all Southern on a predominantly Western thread!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

One school of thought might suggest it starts with a '9' and only has four driving wheels... 😉

With apologies for going all Southern on a predominantly Western thread!

If that 9 is preceded by a T, it's fine with me.

• Funny 1