A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Just wondering who on earth would buy one ?  I suppose the logical step would be a set of Gresley coaches in HO but who’d be daft enough to produce one…actually no,I shouldn’t tempt fate on this. Could be it’s a secret plan to scupper TT scale by producing a spoiler. Wonder who does market research for them ? Mind you ,it’ll be streets ahead of anything H produce i terms of quality but with a price tag to match. Think of it ,Gaugemaster will be selling FS in three different scales….and still no bl###y Saint or County.I weep….

Super challenge Ian. Convert a TT Scotsman to an OO County. If you succeed, I'll buy you a pasty. Proper job Dewdney's one.

Mad Duck.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Agree. It's getting very tedious, especially with other manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon now.

I hope that one of the non-showbiz manufacturers is going to pull something out of the hat for the really significant centenary in August this year...

[Edit: Snap, John!]

A very Accuarateascale guess there Harly.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/02/2023 at 17:18, BMacdermott said:

Hello Captain

Thanks.

I must have a lucky loco. All very strange.

Brian

Is it really a Chinese Balloon in the disguise of a 14XX? Check it for 'devices'. If it is unexplained then get out your Airfix Spitfire and shoot the thing to bits. Ensure you record on Ticky Tocky and shew to everyone.

No need to thank me me Brian and I would be able to hear you from this strangely soft and padded Room I seem to be in at the moment.

Good evening.

Phil

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Am I the only one thoroughly fed up with way in which Hornby are ramming this loco down our throats, as well as other N.E pacifics, seemingly at the expense of more mainstream " really useful engines".......

Can we take it as read that all other preserved locos will be celebrated in exactly the same way when they each hit 100 ? 

Rob. 

I'll not be holding any breath in anticipation of that, and I'd suggest it wouldn't be a safe idea!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Is it really a Chinese Balloon in the disguise of a 14XX? Check it for 'devices'. If it is unexplained then get out your Airfix Spitfire and shoot the thing to bits. Ensure you record on Ticky Tocky and shew to everyone.

No need to thank me me Brian and I would be able to hear you from this strangely soft and padded Room I seem to be in at the moment.

Good evening.

Phil

Are you staying at that hotel with the six inch thick rubber wallpaper again?

BTW, whilst you're airborne looking for Chinese balloons, can you keep an eye out for Aston on Clun's resident Stuka?

Last seen over SE&CR territory by Observer Corps Sheep due to the careless usage of the words "bus" and "bridge" in a forum post.

We'd like it back as last summer the wings made a splendid picnic table / sun lounger for about twenty people.

Woof.

Edited by MrWolf
Radioactive weebles
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Am I the only one thoroughly fed up with way in which Hornby are ramming this loco down our throats, as well as other N.E pacifics, seemingly at the expense of more mainstream " really useful engines".......

Can we take it as read that all other preserved locos will be celebrated in exactly the same way when they each hit 100 ? 

Rob. 

Ah Rob, there is a very popular thread on this very forum where NE pacifics are "really useful engines" and I ain't talking about Gilbert's Peterborough North.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah Rob, there is a very popular thread on this very forum where NE pacifics are "really useful engines" and I ain't talking about Gilbert's Peterborough North.

Is it the one debating what is the best thing to make razor blades out of ? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

Just remember that the Metropolitan Railway Bo-Bo Electric Loco No. 12 "Sarah Siddons" entered traffic 100 years ago last November and is still part of the fleet of London Underground - the direct successors to the Metropolitan Railway, never having been withdrawn. I do accept that "Sarah" now slumbers a fair amount of the time, but she is still ready to strut her stuff on Heritage Trains.

I tend to think "Sarah Siddons" achievement is more important than that of Flying Scotsman - but I do have a soft spot for FS, as it was the loco that I first had a cab ride on - very nearly 70 years ago, I'll be 73 in July this year. The ride was from under the cenotaph coaling tower at New England (Peterborough) shed, round two sides of the triangle.

So I have "O" gauge models of both locos:

1781980131_IMG_1393(2).jpg.47216e4aef988f1723472bb45101e6c2.jpg

There are also other models of older and newer useful engines.

Regards

Chris H

P.S. - Recognising that ANTB is normally populated by dark green engines, I thought I should add another, more relevant picture.

IMG_0493.jpg.2c7dcd78163f8d900d774265ddacb810.jpg

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I know this has been gone over before but I have just been given a very clean copy of Bradford Bartons 'More Southern Steam in The Westcountry' there are a couple of pictures of Westcountrys 21C112 and 21C113 as well as N 1833 on the GWR between Exeter and Newton Abbot in September 1946....  

When do we get the same treat at South Brent? 

My Father would like to know...

Ps,  The main reason I was given the  book is I apper in one picture as a 3 year old with my Uncle Andrew and my Mother at Torrington in 1961...

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

Carry on wishing SheepBloke. No chance of anything sensible. Resistance is futile. Model the ECML, it's apparently the only option. There's trillions of big A1s and great gathering A4s to be had.

So many manufacturers seem fixated with the bl##dy FS. Problem is there are a lot of collectors and Joe Public who buy models, pictures, books, tea towels, cake stands and novelty Christmas clocks of it. 

The family have been trained not to buy me anything with it on, nor mention it for fear of triggering a rant. 🤣

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I know the one and I must admit that I blocked it some years ago and no longer bother reading it. There's only so many times you can read the same judgemental opinions.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

I know this has been gone over before but I have just been given a very clean copy of Bradford Bartons 'More Southern Steam in The Westcountry' there are a couple of pictures of Westcountrys 21C112 and 21C113 as well as N 1833 on the GWR between Exeter and Newton Abbot in September 1946....  

When do we get the same treat at South Brent? 

My Father would like to know...

Ps,  The main reason I was given the  book is I apper in one picture as a 3 year old with my Uncle Andrew and my Mother at Torrington in 1961...

do the photos show much of the coaches behind it, or is it the usual focus on just the locomotive?

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Not always as we're partial to black engines too, in this case ROD class 3005 heading west.

DSCN8756.JPG.e2e2c1b7c9ed6f342aeab29be7b32c59.JPG

DSCN8757.JPG.a67957c39e19766dc6a66e8320e3f184.JPG

DSCN8758.JPG.294b08ef662f75b68fbb2e57754b25a3.JPG

DSCN8759.JPG.04d5be84e5f5fe20c05f0d5edfd456de.JPG

DSCN8760.JPG.0ce955c78384515fc748f4cf8ca2ffd8.JPG

For a while from 1948 until 1956 ,the only green GW locos to be seen were IIRC Castles and Kings ( taking into account the latter’s blue period for a short while ). Livery was in a sense largely irrelevant as most were covered in grime. Post 1956,Swindon green had an Indian summer…..except for the ROD’s which were a thing of memory .Pontypool Road had an allocation and they worked frequently on the Vale of Neath line…also a thing of memory .

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 01/03/2023 at 09:42, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

Well, if you don't want the toy train, there's plenty of other quality tat produced to celebrate (commercially milk) the greatest loco ever:

download (5).jpeg

images (10).jpeg

images (9).jpeg

images (8).jpeg

images (7).jpeg

images (6).jpeg

download (4).jpeg

images (5).jpeg

images (4).jpeg

images (3).jpeg

images (2).jpeg

download (3).jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Please tell me he doesn't have that clock with the four dangling stools! 😉

No, and we ditched the 'Fabergé', plastic, squealing egg someone bought him... 

image.png.e0ce8f14100ff2653c849b082c906bd6.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

No, and we ditched the 'Fabergé', plastic, squealing egg someone bought him... 

image.png.e0ce8f14100ff2653c849b082c906bd6.png

How in any version of this world is such a thing wanted or necessary? The producers should be given a stern talking to and told to reflect on what they have done.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 2ManySpams said:

How in any version of this world is such a thing wanted or necessary? The producers should be given a stern talking to and told to reflect on what they have done.

Because people like my SiL will buy them...

Even Mrs Stubby (her sister) was aghast at the awfulness of it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It strikes me as supremely ironic that what's now feted as the loco beyond all locos, such a national icon etc etc etc was so celebrated in 1963 (disclaimer don't know exact year but you get my point), that it would have been sold for scrap and didn't event make the BTC list of locos worth preserving.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2