A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

3 hours ago, 57xx said:

I'd be happy to send my Hattons one back to them so they could supply a chassis of merchantable quality.

As an engineer I have some pretty strong (and I believe perfectly justifiable) opinions on this subject.

But I shall keep them to myself, lest we should be whacked on the muzzle with a rolled up copy of one of the model railway monthlies

Bad doggie!

Big, bad, doggie!

Etc....

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

21 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Evening, I've posted in the product thread about the mistake in the instructions 😬

Brake parts - warehouse staff have checked and we do have a very limited stock of spare bits including some extra brakes for the 4-plank. If you would like one to upgrade your single-sided braked wagon to double, please drop me a direct message on here.

Thank you. Messaged you and fingers crossed :)

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

One or two people do seem to have struck lucky, but I know more people who have been disappointed than who have been delighted.

Back then, I was far less experienced and decided I'd see how the Hattons release went before committing, so was fortunate to dodge a bullet.

Then it took me several goes to get a satisfactory, operations-worthy 48xx from the Hornby series of releases (R2778 from 2008). Not as "pretty" as the DJM-Hattons but I do at least have a perfectly functioning workhorse for around the layout, after swapping out the traction tyres.

For such an iconic loco it is amazing that no one has revisited the subject since, none of us believe for one moment any GWR fan who says they don't want one, who's leg are you pulling? This, given the total absence of a decent one on the market (here I rule out R2778's unbalanced great-grandson).   

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Back then, I was far less experienced and decided I'd see how the Hattons release went before committing, so was fortunate to dodge a bullet.

Then it took me several goes to get a satisfactory, operations-worthy 48xx from the Hornby series of releases (R2778 from 2008). Not as "pretty" as the DJM-Hattons but I do at least have a perfectly functioning workhorse for around the layout, after swapping out the traction tyres.

For such an iconic loco it is amazing that no one has revisited the subject since, none of us believe for one moment any GWR fan who says they don't want one, who's leg are you pulling? This, given the total absence of a decent one on the market (here I rule out R2778's unbalanced great-grandson).   

Have you been able to source a pair of original leading wheels for the 14xx to replace the awful traction tyre efforts on the rear drivers, or have you replaced everything with bespoke parts?

I'd be interested to know as I've got at least two of these beasts, possibly more and I'd like to give them a fighting chance.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Have you been able to source a pair of original leading wheels for the 14xx to replace the awful traction tyre efforts on the rear drivers, or have you replaced everything with bespoke parts?

I'd be interested to know as I've got at least two of these beasts, possibly more and I'd like to give them a fighting chance.

Ha! I was hoping someone would nibble at that tasty little bit of bait 😈

The story of how I got to a working 48xx is a long and torturous one, many parts of which told elsewhere on here. Regarding the issue of replacement wheels, they have been "out of stock" for as long as I've been looking, at Hornby and suppliers. I was advised to buy an old Airfix 14xx and do a swap of the tyre bearing wheels, sounded simple enough.

I picked up a pre-owned dud "Airfix" from Hattons for a few quid and when it duly arrived (these things taking for ever to reach these remote Southern parts), to my surprise it didn't look at all like an Airfix, no traction tyres! No huge lead weight motor filling the cab etc. etc.  After some research / asking around it turned out I'd landed myself a Kayser kit built loco with a little half chassis and dud motor #.

I got a refund (was allowed to retain the kit as return postage was more than its assumed value 🤣) and so started looking for another Airfix. I never wrote up the eventual wheel swap but it was straightforward and gave me no trouble.

# Link to Kayser Model Info

At moment half way through a Comet chassis build as disclosed on my topic

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

Ha! I was hoping someone would nibble at that tasty little bit of bait 😈

The story of how I got to a working 48xx is a long and torturous one, many parts of which told elsewhere on here. Regarding the issue of replacement wheels, they have been "out of stock" for as long as I've been looking, at Hornby and suppliers. I was advised to buy an old Airfix 14xx and do a swap of the tyre bearing wheels, sounded simple enough.

I picked up a pre-owned dud "Airfix" from Hattons for a few quid and when it duly arrived (these things taking for ever to reach these remote Southern parts), to my surprise it didn't look at all like an Airfix, no traction tyres! No huge lead weight motor filling the cab etc. etc.  After some research / asking around it turned out I'd landed myself a Kayser kit built loco with a little half chassis and dud motor #.

I got a refund (was allowed to retain the kit as return postage was more than its assumed value 🤣) and so started looking for another Airfix. I never wrote up the eventual wheel swap but it was straightforward and gave me no trouble.

# Link to Kayser Model Info

At moment half way through a Comet chassis build as disclosed on my topic

Colin, did you put Airfix wheels into a Hornby chassis? I tried that and found the axles were different sizes - the Airfix wheels were loose on the Hornby axle.

• Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Colin, did you put Airfix wheels into a Hornby chassis? I tried that and found the axles were different sizes - the Airfix wheels were loose on the Hornby axle.

This is where my memory fails me but your comments do ring a faint bell. Normally I'd write up a job like this but for some reason did not and what I did is now lost. Not a loco install I'd want to hit the undo on to find out either!

It is possible that I swapped axles, putting the existing Hornby front at the rear after removing the gear from the shaft of the rear axle and shifting it onto the replacement axle, then putting the good  front Airfix in front. Is that plausible? It fells like a lifetime ago now, sorry I can't add more.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I would rather they resurrected the aborted King class project. 😇 Imagine an Accurascale King chaps....

I would much much rather hear that Accurascale announce a Hawksworth 10xx County, in all variants! The Hornby King isn't that bad.

378040726_Castlecounty002(1024x768).jpg.94f01cacca7f91a6112209ab161d23d2.jpg

cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
insert pic
  • Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45568 said:

I would much much rather hear that Accurascale announce a Hawksworth 10xx County, in all variants! The Hornby King isn't that bad.

cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

A premium County has to be coming at some point. If they can make umpteen models of a 15xx/16xx, then they can do a County... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2023 at 04:23, 45568 said:

cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Absolutely agree. It is a relatively straightforward Loco with quite 'ordinary' Bodywork. The Chimney situation needs careful planning though (I believe there would be three choices?). However that is a relatively small item, but rather like a Cab Roof, needs to be perfectly shaped and proportioned?

With the Company's approach of consultation with those that know stuff, that sort of thing shouldn't be that difficult. Drawings are available but the 'look' needs to be very carefully tested. I believe this is easier now with all this 3D tech ?

Phil.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

A heads up on a brand new book release that might interest quite a few on here.

https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/devon-transition-from-steam/

Yes ,I had a note about this too. The preview shows a number of images by Peter Gray…as you might expect….so my only concern would be a possible recycling of some .Perhaps that’s an unfair observation but a volume of his work in colour was published only a couple of years ago. This one’s a good companion for Western To The Coast,published last month..which uses Holiday Haunts text for each resort photographed. These were indispensable guides for families wanting to book their fortnight escape every August by rail of course. Anyone else remember them and the reference to PLA. .?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Yes ,I had a note about this too. The preview shows a number of images by Peter Gray…as you might expect….so my only concern would be a possible recycling of some .Perhaps that’s an unfair observation but a volume of his work in colour was published only a couple of years ago. This one’s a good companion for Western To The Coast,published last month..which uses Holiday Haunts text for each resort photographed. These were indispensable guides for families wanting to book their fortnight escape every August by rail of course. Anyone else remember them and the reference to PLA. .?

I bought both the earlier Cornwall volume and Western to the Coast last year. If the Devon book is of similar quality it will be worth having.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Totally off ANTB ,for which I apologise profusely,but my inbox received the latest email from Gaugemaster whilst I was viewing last night’s  Kohlervision just.It announces a new Flying Scotsman from Trix/Marklin 🥵 .This time in HO .I share the pain….sorry 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

It’s iconic Ian.

Just wondering who on earth would buy one ?  I suppose the logical step would be a set of Gresley coaches in HO but who’d be daft enough to produce one…actually no,I shouldn’t tempt fate on this. Could be it’s a secret plan to scupper TT scale by producing a spoiler. Wonder who does market research for them ? Mind you ,it’ll be streets ahead of anything H produce i terms of quality but with a price tag to match. Think of it ,Gaugemaster will be selling FS in three different scales….and still no bl###y Saint or County.I weep….

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Totally off ANTB ,for which I apologise profusely,but my inbox received the latest email from Gaugemaster whilst I was viewing last night’s  Kohlervision just.It announces a new Flying Scotsman from Trix/Marklin 🥵 .This time in HO .I share the pain….sorry 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

The HO FS is no surprise. Plenty of UK modellers enjoy overseas prototypes , which by and large come in HO, not OO scale. No doubt plenty of overseas modellers are interested in UK models, but, again by and large, OO is the only choice. Marklin is offering this historic loco so it can run 'legitimately' with overseas trains. I bet they sell in their intended markets, which are at least as collector-focussed as any UK brand. 

Having seen FS in ordinary service at KX 60+ years ago, I have never felt the need to see it again....

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Am I the only one thoroughly fed up with way in which Hornby are ramming this loco down our throats, as well as other N.E pacifics, seemingly at the expense of more mainstream " really useful engines".......

Can we take it as read that all other preserved locos will be celebrated in exactly the same way when they each hit 100 ? 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Am I the only one thoroughly fed up with way in which Hornby are ramming this loco down our throats, as well as other N.E pacifics, seemingly at the expense of more mainstream " really useful engines".......

Can we take it as read that all other preserved locos will be celebrated in exactly the same way when they each hit 100 ? 

Rob. 

Perhaps we'll get a newly-tooled C***** in August...

• Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

Agree. It's getting very tedious, especially with other manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon now.

I hope that one of the non-showbiz manufacturers is going to pull something out of the hat for the really significant centenary in August this year...

[Edit: Snap, John!]

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1