A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

IF one can get outside Pipes as a spare to fit, that opens up the choices a great deal of course.  Can these be obtained or 'fettled'?

Many thanks,

Mad Duck.

Ducky @Mallard60022 if you have the manual, I don't have mine within easy reach, there's a list of spares in it. Pipes would be listed and Peter's Spares now stock them if they exist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Put away the Knickers chaps, it's time for a serious question for serious Modellers (including CK, Mr Tooth and Mr Sheep-person). 

Has anyone attempted to remove the Shirbutton emblem on a Dapol 63XX Tender. Not as an act of defiance but as a prep for a swap to another emblem? If so, how did you achieve that please?

I arsk as I have acquired and almost new 6385 with decent SW Digital Sound fitted and want to change the Tender markings suitable for 1960 - 62. 

6346 first choice (Exeter until 12/62); 6356 second choice (Westbury until 10/62); 6376 third choice (Barrow Road until 5/62). All these are correct for a no OPs and no Cab Side  Windows as far as  can see. 

IF one can get outside Pipes as a spare to fit, that opens up the choices a great deal of course.  Can these be obtained or 'fettled'?

Many thanks,

Mad Duck.

Microsol  - leave it on for at least 15 minutes and rub the shirtbutton off with a Q-tip and a decent cocktail stick, did it on our lord and master Robins one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Photos now online of the latest Rapido wagon release, the V6 Mink , this one in '42 condition. The whole range can now be viewed on the Hatton's website.

66754857_RapidoV642condition.jpg.23b0b1275df788387ffdcf4094e0b447.jpg

1784328343_RapidoV642condition.jpgA.jpg.c7c6ed7fecdc92118586079c43713131.jpg

1510638656_RapidoV642condition.jpgB.jpg.d15912f8a7524db444f525b731a5d379.jpg

1230932843_RapidoV642condition.jpgC.jpg.13030f073480d9e46f2985a26d2b4f02.jpg

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Looks v nice except for those horrible shiny wheels.  Why do so many manufacturers do that?

Bling bling alloy wheels innit. Makes it go farrster.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Graham T said:

Using the same method recommended by @MrWolf and @longchap, you could also give isopropyl alcohol a try (on the shirtbutton, I mean...)

From personal experience, I wouldn't recommend IPA. The only time I tried, it attacked the paint too.

My usual method is to put a drop of T-Cut directly on the emblem, leave it for 2-3 minutes, then gently rub with  cotton bud.

It leaves a glossy patch on the the surface, which will help the new transfer to adhere, and the job can be finished off with a thin coat of satin or matt varnish to match the original finish.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I've had reasonable success with the removal of the. G W R lettering on tenders using T Cut, it's just a matter of not going too mad as the transfer seems to resist then suddenly dissolve and you then have to shift down a few gears because the paint is also softened at this point. I wipe the area clean and go very carefully once the transfer begins to break up.

The other thing mentioned earlier is that some models have a kind of plinth for the stick on brass number. This may be limited to Mainline and early Bachmann, but it's worth checking when your nice etched plates arrive. I had a bit of extra work as the plinth stood out a mile and was bigger than my scale plates.

IMG_20220831_232933.jpg.1972371a3186d77e0d89ff847a5d0f26.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Photos now online of the latest Rapido wagon release, the V6 Mink , this one in '42 condition. The whole range can now be viewed on the Hatton's website.

66754857_RapidoV642condition.jpg.23b0b1275df788387ffdcf4094e0b447.jpg

1784328343_RapidoV642condition.jpgA.jpg.c7c6ed7fecdc92118586079c43713131.jpg

1510638656_RapidoV642condition.jpgB.jpg.d15912f8a7524db444f525b731a5d379.jpg

1230932843_RapidoV642condition.jpgC.jpg.13030f073480d9e46f2985a26d2b4f02.jpg

Now that I like! Very impressed with the roof rivets and the door retainers.

I spent quite a while converting an old Ratio kit to planked doors!

Damn!

As for the shiny wheels, we like having something to paint, weather or change and the collectors like shiny for the showcase. Everyone is a winner.

Those wheels will be fine on my Peco track that allows me to run a few relics and I could soon remove the giant hedging bills from under the buffer beams.

Would it be too much to ask if there's a picture of the underside?

Not so much for the brake gear, but to see what's involved in fitting sprung three links.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not so much for the brake gear, but to see what's involved in fitting sprung three links.

Will do when I receive it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tips on removal of Shirtbutton without ripping the fabric. I believe I have read some of your methods on here before and so I apologise for not browsing the history.

Don't know if I'll bother as we all love a really Filthy Mogul don't we? Exeter ones were particularly ghastly.

Thanks for the pipes tip Rob and I heard from a pal that he has some metal kit ones lurking.

I tested it yesterday and the Sound programme installed is pretty Good. SW Digital I think? Even has the Fireman having a slash and the Driver blowing his nose. Excellent.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Now that I like! Very impressed with the roof rivets and the door retainers.

I spent quite a while converting an old Ratio kit to planked doors!

Damn!

As for the shiny wheels, we like having something to paint, weather or change and the collectors like shiny for the showcase. Everyone is a winner.

Those wheels will be fine on my Peco track that allows me to run a few relics and I could soon remove the giant hedging bills from under the buffer beams.

Mine are en-route, but here's one of the Gunpowder van that should be basically similar. Kadee coupler and Gibson wheels on one end for comparison.

The screw that holds the NEM mount on is underneath the pocket which can just be flipped out, but bear in mind that it also secures the chassis onto the body.

It may be necessary to glue the wagon back together if there isn't room for both the screw and the sprung coupling hook.

John

G9.1100148c.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I'll have to see how the shiny wheels are to live with, as my first reaction was that they need a lot of toning down. My second thought, always good to listen to, was that I already have two gunpowder vans and an SR Open, several Iron Minks in my trunk and some Opens yet to come, so rather a lot of expensive wheel sets to replace. Hmm, probably should investigate chemical darkening, weathering, etc.

Are Gibson wagon wheels very expensive?

Edited by longchap
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, longchap said:

£3.40 per wagon from H & A Models.

Edited by gwrrob
detail, detail. detail.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, longchap said:

I'll have to see how the shiny wheels are to live with, as my first reaction was that they need a lot of toning down. My second thought, always good to listen to, was that I already have two gunpowder vans and an SR Open, several Iron Minks in my trunk and some Opens yet to come, so rather a lot of expensive wheel sets to replace. Hmm, probably should investigate chemical darkening, weathering, etc.

RTR wheels are usually plated brass, which doesn't take chemical blackening all that well as a rule.

My suggestion would be a black etching primer followed by dry-brush weathering.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/02/2023 at 14:29, gwrrob said:

Ducky @Mallard60022 if you have the manual, I don't have mine within easy reach, there's a list of spares in it. Pipes would be listed and Peter's Spares now stock them if they exist.

Sadly the Pipes the Pipes are not calling; they aren't listed on the Parts. I might contact DCC Concepts at Worcester and ask if they can be obtained somehow. Not an issue really as I have an Exeter loco lined up, as mentioned above.

Thanks again for the help chaps and I forgot to say Rob, I really like the Chunky Panniers. I think there was one at Laira that I saw every time I went anywhere around there. I think I once saw it leaving the Dockyard on a Navy Days day as well. Only time I knowingly saw any Steam down there.

P

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Mr Duck, 247 developments do whitemetal outside steam pipes in three different lengths. I believe they are at Doncaster this weekend, Brian Moseby is very helpful. Over the years I have had plenty of bits from him, a satisfied customer.

Brian

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 88C said:

Mr Duck, 247 developments do whitemetal outside steam pipes in three different lengths. I believe they are at Doncaster this weekend, Brian Moseby is very helpful. Over the years I have had plenty of bits from him, a satisfied customer.

Brian

Well thank you Mr Brian. I shall ask my pal Clive to get me some.

Mad Duck.