A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Hopefully something new will appear in time for this thread’s tenth anniversary next month.

I'll be wearing fresh vest and underpants. I change them every Monday, whether I need to or not. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Clarity
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Possibly going to such efforts on a Sunday as changing one's kex, may be interpreted by Jones the Ayatollah as working on the day of rest and therefore a sin.

The result of which may be a severe fire and brimstone lecture at the Primitive or Congregational chapel, but you might get the Presbyterians come galloping down from the hills with red painted faces, antlers on their heads and burn your village.

Then it will start to rain.... (More than usual) just to make sure you're properly depressed.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 7

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Possibly going to such efforts on a Sunday as changing one's kex, may be interpreted by Jones the Ayatollah as working on the day of rest and therefore a sin.

The result of which may be a severe fire and brimstone lecture at the Primitive or Congregational chapel, but you might get the Presbyterians come galloping down from the hills with red painted faces, antlers on their heads and burn your village.

Then it will start to rain.... (More than usual) just to make sure you're properly depressed.

Speaking as a Presbyterian from the hills, I can assure you that we do not come galloping down from the hills to burn your villages, we walk sedately and dress in black to burn your villages!

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

5 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Speaking as a Presbyterian from the hills, I can assure you that we do not come galloping down from the hills to burn your villages, we walk sedately and dress in black to burn your villages!

Lloyd

Thanks for clearing that up Lloyd, I was brought up Primitive Methodist see, those pointy white hoods were all one size so as a nipper they'd often slip down and you could just about see what was going on out of one eye-hole if you were lucky....

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Lloyd

Indeed, and singing all the way.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Hopefully something new will appear in time for this thread’s tenth anniversary next month.

Well that makes it 10 years since I started Pencarrow. Hangs head in shame for rate of progress...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2023 at 20:57, Siberian Snooper said:

Would the floor have been planked, longitudinally? I thought that was reserved for China clay wagons.

For the most part, the bible shows Loriots to be planked widthways but there is a pic of a Loriot W with longitudinal planking.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2023 at 22:35, MrWolf said:

Freshly machined Keruing is that colour, quickly goes a silver grey if untreated. It was certainly being used in the floors of lorry bodies by the 1930s.

We are probably too used to not seeing hardwoods used on things like open wagons so it looks wrong. It would make sense to use a hardwood floor on a heavy duty machinery wagon.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I'll be wearing fresh vest and underpants. I change them every Monday, whether I need to or not. 

Rob. 

You are starting to sound like me old Dad ... I guess at 88 you can get away with most things...

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I'll be wearing fresh vest and underpants.

At this point am I allowed to say when I get home from work I'm going to whip off the wife's knickers....

..... they're absolutely killing me.🤣

• Round of applause 5
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

At this point am I allowed to say when I get home from work I'm going to whip off the wife's knickers....

..... they're absolutely killing me.🤣

I had to add a "friendly/supportive" to that.

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I had to add a "friendly/supportive" to that.

Rob

Would the wife's knickers be 'supportive' though? No I don't want an answer, there's visuals I'm already trying to forget...

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Would the wife's knickers be 'supportive' though? No I don't want an answer, there's visuals I'm already trying to forget...

Ladies knickers in my experience tend to be "incisive" rather than "supportive" but I have heard a lot of nasty rumours that that all changes rapidly after marriage and / or children...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Put away the Knickers chaps, it's time for a serious question for serious Modellers (including CK, Mr Tooth and Mr Sheep-person). 

Has anyone attempted to remove the Shirbutton emblem on a Dapol 63XX Tender. Not as an act of defiance but as a prep for a swap to another emblem? If so, how did you achieve that please?

I arsk as I have acquired and almost new 6385 with decent SW Digital Sound fitted and want to change the Tender markings suitable for 1960 - 62. 

6346 first choice (Exeter until 12/62); 6356 second choice (Westbury until 10/62); 6376 third choice (Barrow Road until 5/62). All these are correct for a no OPs and no Cab Side  Windows as far as  can see. 

IF one can get outside Pipes as a spare to fit, that opens up the choices a great deal of course.  Can these be obtained or 'fettled'?

Many thanks,

Mad Duck.

• Like 4

Are there any areas under either footplate, ie out of sight, that are painted green which you could test a little T Cut on?

The sort of thing that I usually modify is likely to be painted in something petrochemicals based and you even have to be careful with that, but it may be that you are up against a modern version of 2K which is even harder, or something water based that isn't.

Unless someone on here has done it or can point you elsewhere, it may be a case of treading carefully and being the first.

Don't forget to wear your oldest knickers just in case.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Dear Donald,

Agree with Rob regarding secret testing out of sight with disposable undergarments, just in case.

I have however successfully and very easily removed a shirt button emblem from the panniers of an early Bachmann 57xx with surprising ease / little effort, using a lightly handled fibreglass brush with a circular motion.

814215984_IMG_2489700.jpg.a637787aff7ea3ad61e4f24494a0aabd.jpg

Bearing in mind you will probably spray some clear coat before the new decal, then a finishing matt / satin when done, possibly followed by weathering, I reckon it may serve well enough.

Hope this helps and bon courage,

Bill

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Are there any areas under either footplate, ie out of sight, that are painted green which you could test a little T Cut on?

The sort of thing that I usually modify is likely to be painted in something petrochemicals based and you even have to be careful with that, but it may be that you are up against a modern version of 2K which is even harder, or something water based that isn't.

Unless someone on here has done it or can point you elsewhere, it may be a case of treading carefully and being the first.

Don't forget to wear your oldest knickers just in case.

I did this on a Bachmann model but then opted for Great Crest Western and arranged the crest to cover up of my scratchings - worked quite well in the end. My scratching was with a fibre glass brush but I have heard that air erasers are good if you can get hold of one (a sort of mini sand blaster).

20220822_114051.jpg.e78471e0a9fd0e8a0e46a8c88f188657.jpg

20220729_085458.jpg.858ef81646fdee2d8b734382fb944607.jpg

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I think (but could be misremembering) on my GWR liveried Dapol model I had to remove part of the number plates as they were too big.   I used my usual approach of Microsol applied over the area and removing with a cotton bud / blunted cocktail stick once it was soft after a few minutes.  IPA works just as well (I do wonder if that is a key ingredient in microsol..)

used the same approach on lots of Hornby/Bachmann locos to remove shirt buttons or BR logos 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2