A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

The E103 is the odd one out in the group because it was not corridor stock (according to Longworth).

I didn't spot that in my trawl for information across the Harris and Russell books, all I managed to glean was:

o   Built 1922 Nos 7913-20 Lot 1282 E103

o   Built 1922 Nos 7921-8 Lot 1303 E103 “London area”

There are no photos or drawings in either set of books.... which begs the question about where Dapol will get the details from. Of course it might be that they are exactly the same as a E98 in all apart from the running numbers - But obviously different diagrams were issued:

o   Built 1914 Nos 6938/9/41-44 Lot 1233 E98

o   E98 Photo & Drawing Russell Appdx Vol 1 Pg 129/30

Given the build dates of 1922 for the E103, its possible that these are former Ambulance carriages being taken back into stock, but the details did not say that.

I will check again the Corridor situation - Harris has a good list of all vehicle diagrams. edit: The E103 is indeed a non corridor carriage.

-----

Some time ago the GWR study group produced an index for the Russell books, does anyone have a copy? Is it worth buying? As well as an index, I understand it also has a list of corrections.

thanks

Edited by Neal Ball
GWR study group
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I didn't spot that in my trawl for information across the Harris and Russell books, all I managed to glean was:

o   Built 1922 Nos 7913-20 Lot 1282 E103

o   Built 1922 Nos 7921-8 Lot 1303 E103 “London area”

There are no photos or drawings in either set of books.... which begs the question about where Dapol will get the details from. Of course it might be that they are exactly the same as a E98 in all apart from the running numbers - But obviously different diagrams were issued:

o   Built 1914 Nos 6938/9/41-44 Lot 1233 E98

o   E98 Photo & Drawing Russell Appdx Vol 1 Pg 129/30

Given the build dates of 1922 for the E103, its possible that these are former Ambulance carriages being taken back into stock, but the details did not say that.

I will check again the Corridor situation - Harris has a good list of all vehicle diagrams.

-----

Some time ago the GWR study group produced an index for the Russell books, does anyone have a copy? Is it worth buying? As well as an index, I understand it also has a list of corrections.

thanks

Another great online resource is: http://www.gwrcoaches.org.uk/index.html

For instance click "List of Coach Diagrams", click "E103" and you will find it in the non-corridor section.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Another great online resource is: http://www.gwrcoaches.org.uk/index.html

For instance click "List of Coach Diagrams", click "E103" and you will find it in the non-corridor section.

I have since looked at the Harris book and initially didn't spot that the E103 is indeed a non corridor. 

Hopefully Dapol have just the diagram number wrong / off the top of the persons head that @gwrrob spoke to. Did they give any indication how far down the line with the drawings Robin?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Autumnal colours around South Brent this afternoon:

20221201_150718.jpg.43d8d854e738b4c35faa8808f1481e6b.jpg

Phew, no running water or running to the loo.

Them there sheeps seem a long way from home, they look like Suffolk sheep, know for their wool. Might be Norfolk Horns or even Scottish Blackface still what ever they are they are a long way from home.

• Friendly/supportive 2

While the toplight news is good for many, I confess I’m disappointed that they are doing steel bodied toplights rather than panelled ones. But then I’m a pre 1914 freak….

That said, I imagine the steel bodied ones will sell like hot cakes - especially if done in the 1922 livery with fake panelling.

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Them there sheeps seem a long way from home, they look like Suffolk sheep, know for their wool. Might be Norfolk Horns or even Scottish Blackface still what ever they are they are a long way from home.

Mrs 5BarVT (niece of a one time Suffolk Sheep judge) reckons they’re Suffolks.  Tight curled fleece, long bodies, ears turned down.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, drduncan said:

While the toplight news is good for many, I confess I’m disappointed that they are doing steel bodied toplights rather than panelled ones. But then I’m a pre 1914 freak….

That said, I imagine the steel bodied ones will sell like hot cakes - especially if done in the 1922 livery with fake panelling.

Duncan

They'll make a nice contrast with my Slaters ones.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Some nice lots there but, like you, I won't be bidding. I wonder who the owner was and who built/painted them.

Edited by St Enodoc
speling
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

They'll make a nice contrast with my Slaters ones.

Very true. For anyone modelling WW1 or later the steel panelled coaches will make a very nice contrast to any panelled stock (and vice versa).

But, like I said I’m a pre 1914 freak so for me it’s the contrast is between clerestories and elliptical stock, 6wheelers and 8wheelers. So to use words that seem unfortunately popular on the RTR announcement frothing threads (and I never dreamed I’d use with regard to toplights) - ‘nothing for me’ !!! 😁 (but hoping they are a success because, you know, GWR and all that…)

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, drduncan said:

Very true. For anyone modelling WW1 or later the steel panelled coaches will make a very nice contrast to any panelled stock (and vice versa).

But, like I said I’m a pre 1914 freak so for me it’s the contrast is between clerestories and elliptical stock, 6wheelers and 8wheelers. So to use words that seem unfortunately popular on the RTR announcement frothing threads (and I never dreamed I’d use with regard to toplights) - ‘nothing for me’ !!! 😁 (but hoping they are a success because, you know, GWR and all that…)

Duncan

I sympathize Duncan, as my main modelling period is also pre-1914. I like the recent RTR ventures into the lake livery period though (Dapol Toplights, KMRC Railmotor), as it can help ease modelling in the rarely done 1914-1922 period. I think that period has been a bit of a "Berlin wall" between pre- and postgroup modellers.  Although the Great War changed so much, the time difference between 1914 and 1923 is just 9 years. That's the difference between now and 2013.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I sympathize Duncan, as my main modelling period is also pre-1914. I like the recent RTR ventures into the lake livery period though (Dapol Toplights, KMRC Railmotor), as it can help ease modelling in the rarely done 1914-1922 period. I think that period has been a bit of a "Berlin wall" between pre- and postgroup modellers.  Although the Great War changed so much, the time difference between 1914 and 1923 is just 9 years. That's the difference between now and 2013.

Interesting observations, Mikkel. 

The pre grouping era is one I'm dipping a toe in and has required a bit more thought and research than my usual suck it and see approach. 

The RTR SE&CR locos and stock I've been acquiring give me a rough time frame from 1904 until 1923 so hopefully a passable nod to the pre-grouping era will be the result. I'm particularly intrigued by the period from 1916 to 1923 so despite a good stud of locos in the Wainwright full monty livery, I'll also be running locos in the later grey wartime austerity livery.

We shall of course see what happens ! 

Rob. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, drduncan said:

If the toplights are a success 

I see very little chance of them not selling like the proverbial hotcakes. Distinctive coaches never modelled before, in GWR livery, to 2023 standards, will appeal to all GWR modellers, many of whom are rather less concerned about era and location than the cognoscenti on here. How long have the ex-Tri-ang clerestories been selling, despite being a poor caricature of the prototype? These are a certain money-spinner. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Doesn't say but there is a load of other GWR stuff on there. 30% plus in  house postage isn't bad for an Auction House. Sometimes Kit Builds go for silly low prices.

P

But could be a heap of trouble in both terms of running capabilities ( free running,minimum radius ? ) and of course weight…can your rtr motive power cope ? I’d need a demo and a hands on before making a bid.  Which ,at least in my case,is a pipe dream. Thanks but no thanks. A deal of high quality rtr GW stock is now coming on stream and doubtlessly more will gradually appear that will better kit built examples.They will certainly run better.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some of the auction stock shown is BSL. In the UK I have seen similar items at Vectis. I did not bid. Finish was outstanding but the bogies had been built as the 1970's. White metal, stub end axles not running in bearings. Runs like a brick compared to modern standards. Almost impossible to get the bogies apart to fit pinpoints. Nice but no thanks.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Some of the auction stock shown is BSL. In the UK I have seen similar items at Vectis. I did not bid. Finish was outstanding but the bogies had been built as the 1970's. White metal, stub end axles not running in bearings. Runs like a brick compared to modern standards. Almost impossible to get the bogies apart to fit pinpoints. Nice but no thanks.

I bought a - er - number of BSL/Phoenix Bulleids a few years back on ebay. Signed Lawrence/Goddard products. As you say, running qualities are from a bygone age. Most have now had their bogies replaced with Bachmann SR steam stock versions, which run well. Any bidder for these would need to do the sums if they chose that route. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I bought a - er - number of BSL/Phoenix Bulleids a few years back on ebay. Signed Lawrence/Goddard products. 

I have a reasonable stash of BSL Ironclad's* and the rather fantastic (if not scary) Branchlines detailing kits for them.  Hopefully I can do something with the Dreadnought bogies I acquired along with them from eBay, but failing that I have enough of the 247 Developments versions (no longer available) to at least get a Pull-Push set up and running.  My favourite source of SR 8ft steam bogies were from Genesis, but they've gone too.

*of course, once I open the bag, they will be announced by someone or other, but at today's prices I think I'll still be ok 😉

Edited by Tim Dubya
afternoon coffee
  • Like 6

I did purchase possibly the last set of Dean 8'6" bogies from 247 a couple of years ago and I was told that the man who did their bogie castings was seriously ill at the time and obviously his health being more important than bits of trains they weren't about to be asking when they could expect any more and once the stock was gone, it could possibly be the last. Sadly it seems that is the case with everything being listed as out of stock. 

Cast bogies were great for low centre of gravity and provided that you drilled them and fitted brass bearings and pinpoint axles before assembly, all was well. Very well in fact. Problems arise when you get something that doesn't have bearings and is assembled. There's a spring loaded device for drilling out axleboxes in situ to fit bearings, the potential disaster comes when trying to spring in a pinpoint wheelset. Better to dismantle one side of the bogie frame if possible.

On a similar note, does anyone know where I might get similar early GWR bogies from? I've resorted to cutting and shutting some Hornby clerestory 10'0" bogies but it's not ideal. 

• Like 1