A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

yep it's all singing all dancing Hoover (Class 50) diseasel. 

The new class 50 looks wonderful, it has loads of interior detail you won't see as it whizzes past and have you seen the undergubbins, ideal for when the loco falls off the track and rolls over pretending to be dead. It will have all of DEMU excited......oh dear I have just remembered I am on then DEMU committee.

It would look good zooming through Brent in Notwork Southeast livery on its way to Penzance.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Well that comes as a massive surprise (not) but I'm sure it will be very pretty and you might even be able to buy one in a sort of GWR-ish green

I might be wrong but didn't the much missed follower @colin penfold post a photo of a class 50 crossing the Avon bridge at Brent, taken from his 70s spotting days.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

But Accurascale are normally so good.... they've missed the boiler and tanks off this new pannier of theirs. Also, no coal bunker and the loco looks a trifle lengthy for a 57XX.

But it would make a surprisingly good English Electric Type 4, so if people are in the market for one, this new 57xx might suit them.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well Warley is proving to be very expensive for me already, £170 on a B set and an as yet unconfirmed amount on a small prairie. If said small prairie is to be offered with the TRS system I imagine that could send my wallet running for the hills.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I guessed an E147, not far off. Fantastic news on both fronts my wallet is terrified!

Will definitely be getting an E140 pair with that spec. Tempted by the small prairie, will definitely hold off sound-fitting my two Bachmann examples and look at getting them on a certain auction site to try and get some savings!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, DRoe96 said:

I guessed an E147, not far off. Fantastic news on both fronts my wallet is terrified!

Will definitely be getting an E140 pair with that spec. Tempted by the small prairie, will definitely hold off sound-fitting my two Bachmann examples and look at getting them on a certain auction site to try and get some savings!

An E147 would have been nice, as a number of them were able to run independently rather than as a close-coupled pair. It would also have saved me the trouble of building a couple of BSL/Phoenix kits. Ah well, never mind.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I really do fancy a B set, I've got the Hornby twins and was contemplating meddling with them to get them up to standard (there's a good description of this in the S4 Society "St Merryn" book, I'm sure it's elsewhere.  I think @Tim V wrote one too) but I might just move them on now. 

Edited by Tim Dubya
name droppin' & linkage.
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

An E147 would have been nice, as a number of them were able to run independently rather than as a close-coupled pair. It would also have saved me the trouble of building a couple of BSL/Phoenix kits. Ah well, never mind.

Thought about a pair of Comet Sides on a carcass? Still takes time but ever so easy really. Maybe less expensive if you then sell the weird Phoenix ones?

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thought about a pair of Comet Sides on a carcass? Still takes time but ever so easy really. Maybe less expensive if you then sell the weird Phoenix ones?

P

Thanks Phil. Yes, that would be a good way forward - if I knew which donor coach to use. Any ideas? @Coach bogie?

Edit: Our friend @M.I.B refers to using a Mainline 57' donor:

Presumably this is the old LMS coach? Would it be a good choice for an E147?

Edited by St Enodoc
Extra words