A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The steam railmotor is very tempting, though out of period.

I may have to pretend that I haven't seen it!

The fact that a version is alive and well and plying the rails in our time does help though. It is more plausible that such a vehicle might have been somewhere on GWR and successors' rails than if none had been seen since the year dot. And it is a concept with which several railways tinkered, and although none really got it to fly in any volume, it is an interesting prototype for that alone. Having handled one of the Kernow PP models, they are simply gorgeous.

Be there - or be forever in despair!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have no excuse for not having one, having laid the trackwork for the bay platform at Limpley Stoke for the Camerton branch line. I have a few months to complete the platforms before it arrives !

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The fact that a version is alive and well and plying the rails in our time does help though. It is more plausible that such a vehicle might have been somewhere on GWR and successors' rails than if none had been seen since the year dot. And it is a concept with which several railways tinkered, and although none really got it to fly in any volume, it is an interesting prototype for that alone. Having handled one of the Kernow PP models, they are simply gorgeous.

Be there - or be forever in despair!

The GWR had 99 steam railcars (counting the number of coach bodies as it had a total of 112 engines for them) and the worked over much of the company's system over the years.  The next biggest user in the GWR group was the Taff Vale which peaked at a fleet of 18 but had a reasonably steady fleet size of 16 although all had been withdrawn before the grouping

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2022 at 09:57, Captain Kernow said:

Although not in any way a railway building historically (being the former 'Royal Oak' public house), this is nevertheless a very nice railway-themed cafe & bistro, very close to the main overbridge over the railway at Brent - https://www.stationhousesouthbrent.co.uk/

I, together with various other of your former colleagues,  will be lunching in this one  later this month.  it's new addition to our regular round of lunch venues as our new organiser has decide to spread our wings over a wider area.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x48709bf2a31c7259%3A0x5c8f70d74ed05d67!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOpW4uV64PNzq3N2BgVodV_qVvC4ANwThiKnCIe%3Dw426-h320-k-no!5sthe great western Wolverhampton - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOpW4uV64PNzq3N2BgVodV_qVvC4ANwThiKnCIe&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi88via1aj7AhVQSEEAHXpZChMQoip6BAh_EAM

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I, together with various other of your former colleagues,  will be lunching in this one  later this month.  it's new addition to our regular round of lunch venues as our new organiser has decide to spread our wings over a wider area.

Looks like they do proper food and beer and there's even the chip option for fussy buggas such as my self 👍

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That looks like some sort of mutation...

Apparently there's a Jidenco kit for "The Bug" out there in the wilds.  So you're guaranteed to create a mutation that won't ever fit together... ever 🙄

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not been in that one but have heard good things about it from local former colleagues.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

By the start of next month I should also be able to inform whether or not they also offer an acceptable cider - hopefully.

I look forward to your report.  I trust you don’t include fruity alcopops that masquerade under the same name in your definition!

Paul.

P.S. For anyone listening, it’s not Pear Cider, it’s Perry.  :-)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 5BarVT said:

Not been in that one but have heard good things about it from local former colleagues.

I look forward to your report.  I trust you don’t include fruity alcopops that masquerade under the same name in your definition!

Paul.

P.S. For anyone listening, it’s not Pear Cider, it’s Perry.  :-)

I only deal in proper cider - preferably the sort you can barely see daylight through when it's in the glass but alas that is very rare in hostelries nowadays.  I occasionally lunch with a group of assorted RMweb members and we visited one place near Old street earlier in the year - the muck they claimed to be cider probably had a very brief acquaintance with the juice of an apple somewhere in the chemical factory that had produced it but it must have a very brief acquaintance indeed.  In my opinion it should be illegal to describe as 'cider' all these weird concoctions that contain just about anything and everything except something solely pressed out of apples.

I drink alcohol very rarely nowadays but  do enjoy a glass or two of cider when out for lunch with friends so I'm easily disappointed if something else is offered in its stead.   Particularly if some ignoramus behind the bar describes it as 'cider' when it obviously is not.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I only deal in proper cider

I suspected that might be the case.  I’ve become quite partial to Normandy and Breton Cidre, very good on the flavour.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I only deal in proper cider - preferably the sort you can barely see daylight through when it's in the glass but alas that is very rare in hostelries nowadays.  I occasionally lunch with a group of assorted RMweb members and we visited one place near Old street earlier in the year - the muck they claimed to be cider probably had a very brief acquaintance with the juice of an apple somewhere in the chemical factory that had produced it but it must have a very brief acquaintance indeed.  In my opinion it should be illegal to describe as 'cider' all these weird concoctions that contain just about anything and everything except something solely pressed out of apples.

I drink alcohol very rarely nowadays but  do enjoy a glass or two of cider when out for lunch with friends so I'm easily disappointed if something else is offered in its stead.   Particularly if some ignoramus behind the bar describes it as 'cider' when it obviously is not.

As it happens, Harlequin's first ever vintage Devon cider has just been fermented and is "maturing" in various dark corners of my house as you read this!

Sorry to say, I made a special effort to get rid of the cloudiness and I have no idea what it tastes like yet or how strong it is... But next time we meet up, Mike, I'll try to remember to bring a bottle for you to judge - if you're willing to risk it! 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

As it happens, Harlequin's first ever vintage Devon cider has just been fermented and is "maturing" in various dark corners of my house as you read this!

Sorry to say, I made a special effort to get rid of the cloudiness and I have no idea what it tastes like yet or how strong it is... But next time we meet up, Mike, I'll try to remember to bring a bottle for you to judge - if you're willing to risk it! 😉

Reminds me when I made homemade Ginger Beer as a smallish boy.... left the bottles in a dark space under the stairs to mature... however I'd inadvertently mixed up the Ginger beer plant instead of just the clear liquid... about a week after bottling there was a series of explosions in the night as the 'fire water' blew the tops off the bottles as the first fell over there was a chain reaction much to my Mother's annoyance...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Whilst in the South Hams/Teignbridge areas of Devon cider and perry drinkers should head to the 'Ye Olde Cider Bar' in Newton Abbot. An Holy Grail of proper ciders.

A pint of Diesel is recommended..

Cheers,

Mark

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Does “home made Strawberry Vodka” count?

Many years ago when we were holidaying in Spain, we took an old water bottle (empty), poured in 1 litre of blue label vodka, threw in a sachet of sugar and a large punnet of crushed strawberries….. we then flew back home.

I thought it would have exploded, but it didn’t.

6 months later when we fly back in, it had sufficiently matured! It was lethal - but very moorish…. We even used it to line a cheesecake when my parents flew in! Mum loved the strawberries 😎😎

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Does “home made Strawberry Vodka” count?

6 months later when we fly back in, it had sufficiently matured! It was lethal - but very moorish…. 

I thought that belonged to an earlier period of Spain’s history. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I suspected that might be the case.  I’ve become quite partial to Normandy and Breton Cidre, very good on the flavour.

Paul.

I did a French exchange in 1969 with a farming family in Normandy, when I was 13. Apart from learning to drive a tractor and a moped (and how to fall off the latter) I also enjoyed their home made cider and (bootleg?) Calvados.

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I did a French exchange in 1969 with a farming family in Normandy, when I was 13. Apart from learning to drive a tractor and a moped (and how to fall off the latter) I also enjoyed their home made cider and (bootleg?) Calvados.

Now that's a proper cultural exchange!

• Agree 4
  • Funny 3