A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'm a bit overwhelmed and surprised how popular these photos are. I can't imagine a similar batch with one of my panniers would get the same reaction. Strange.

My tiny collection of GWR models includes two railcars. They are lovely. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

I hope in the not too distant future that we’ll all be expanding our collection to include steam railmotors!

Outside of my late thirties timeline, but what the hell...

The two key questions are:

When will they be available?

And how much?

• Like 1

On 05/11/2022 at 22:53, Ian Hargrave said:

Regrettably your latter supposition would be confined to SR motive power rather than coaching stock in route familiaration terms. 

7 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And to get the flavour of what these familiarisation workings were,refer to the work of Peter W. Gray. One example from July 1959 in ‘West Country Railways’ is of airsmoothed 34063 with WR Hawksworth leading on Dainton with a  Goodrington- Plymouth working ( reversal at NA.)  .It should perhaps be pointed out that these workings were introduced during the war as an emergency measure. 

True, Ian.  I was having a senior moment!   But it does remind me that I've seen a photo of a LSWR 3-LAV set behind a Prairie tank at Tavistock South (WR), presumably 'borrowed' by the WR.

Chris KT

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, John Besley said:

Between 1960 and 1971 we used to live in Whitstone Road Paignton, this was a link road between Sands Road level crossing and Dartmouth Road, on at least 2 occasions that I can remember as a small boy on a summer Saturday we heard the unmistakable sound of a Westcountry arriving in Goodrington carriage sidings and rushed over the road and along the footpath by the railway line - Father has the photos in his collection somewhere.

Incerdently  the Station Masters house was on the corner opposite ours - this was demolished in the late 60's to make way for the widening of the top of Whitstone Road, at the bottom backing onto the Sands Road crossing was the bombed remains of the railway cottages

Excursion traffic from the SR worked into Torbay from the Meldon Quarry line with its own locomotives in addition to  traffic from Plymouth which came over the S.Devon WR main line.These trains were thus spared reversal at NA and came via Okehampton and Exeter St.David’s. It’s likely that it would be these you would have seen.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Although not in any way a railway building historically (being the former 'Royal Oak' public house), this is nevertheless a very nice railway-themed cafe & bistro, very close to the main overbridge over the railway at Brent - https://www.stationhousesouthbrent.co.uk/

Looks like it’s been done up since I visited last. Their toasted sandwiches are rather nice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Whereabouts is that as I can't work it out... love the bottom picture with the Std 4 76xxx

Lower Bristol Road, Bath at the junction with Brook Road and Windsor Bridge Road.

BA2 3BW

458854136_Screenshot_20221107-220217-0212.png.236a76880eff147c0d3547bde13bb3b1.png

Edited by Tim Dubya
postcode
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

appears to be smoking too !

At the recent Gaydon show I saw the new Hornby Flying Scotsman with this feature. Maybe H will get round to doing it on their GWR engines too if as @Phil Parkersuggested to me it proves very popular.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Those are cheap and the current RRP seems around 30% more than when released. I don't need one though, Miss R bought me a fully skirted No12 not long after they were launched. I suspect that was partly because she likes a bit of Deco streamlining herself.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The railmotor really does look rather lovely, but I'm trying to convince myself that I have enough stock!  I was also sorely tempted by the Rails sale of Dapol diesel railcars...  And I already have an Accurascale Manor on pre-order.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

A couple of news items for a Friday afternoon in the shape of some latest images of the delightful Kernow Models GWR railmotor. Photos courtesy of Chris Nevard/ @Graham_Muz

1868362193_Retouched221013KMRCK2302_3.jpg.2a0cea82bb8ddf0a61aa1ef8b1e9d443.jpg

558025669_Retouched221013KMRCK2302_4.jpg.d2dcff522624d73b3782ba05748dabe0.jpg

The other bit of news is the Accurascale Manor is due in stock in the second week of February 2023. I know this as I've had my payment invoice through.😉

Both of those projects looks as if they have come together nicely. 

The Railmotor might have been through a long "gestation period" 🙁 But now it's on the horizon, it looks stunning.

I am waiting for my email "Do you sound with it?" I think Kernow should assume EVERYONE wants sound with it 😎

15 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The railmotor really does look rather lovely, but I'm trying to convince myself that I have enough stock!  I was also sorely tempted by the Rails sale of Dapol diesel railcars...  And I already have an Accurascale Manor on pre-order.

I saw the Rails sale as well, but with 3 AEC/GWR Railcars in stock and the Steam Railmotor on order, I decided against!

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The steam railmotor is very tempting, though out of period.

I may have to pretend that I haven't seen it!

Oops Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3