A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

1 minute ago, M.I.B said:

I'd still rather ride that than a Harley..........

At least you wouldn't get mistaken for a Hell's Accountant, / dentist / lawyer etc.

The H.O.G. always have spotless leathers and carefully ignore we greasers.

Although upon turning up at a meet astride a 1949 Vincent Rapide I got the usual "What's that worth then?"

"About £25,000."

"Wow, you could get a really nice Harley for that kind of money...."

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Fancy a set of these Rob, or can't you stretch to the LSWR?

899107726_EFEE86015_10.jpg.d28ceea5cce485bac7810bd5d201874d.jpg

I wasn't myself but realised those Roxey kits I have will probably never be built by me and even if they were, they wouldn't be a patch on these.

Cheers,

Broke (but happy) from Radstock.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

I wasn't myself but realised those Roxey kits I have will probably never be built by me and even if they were, they wouldn't be a patch on these.

Cheers,

Dear Broke from Radstock

If you can provide photographic evidence of these in use on the South Devon mainline I'll happily get a set for your enjoyment Sir.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Dear Broke from Radstock

If you can provide photographic evidence of these in use on the South Devon mainline I'll happily get a set for your enjoyment Sir.

I shall see what i can do 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Dear Broke from Radstock

It's a shame that GWR Weymouth isn't close to give the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks to Ron Fisher on Flickr

R0765 LSWR coaches Weymouth September, 1961 - 1961/09.R765. These rather nice London & South Western Railway coaches, now in departmental Stock, were seen at Weymouth in September, 1961.

R0765  LSWR coaches Weymouth September, 1961

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/10/2022 at 12:24, A Murphy said:

I would love to know why Hornby haven't produced a modern Saint. How many would they sell compared to let's say an A2/3, the 2-8-2 etc? A massive gaping hole in the range of top GWR locos. Then there's the Bulldog.........

I am a convicted GC modeller these days, but if they made a Saint, I would buy at least one. 

Cheers

Very simple.  When it was proposed some years ago (and I did a bit of work sorting the best variant to go for) it was rejected by the 'faceless suits' in the company 'because it looks like any other Great Western engine'.  So it was never put forward for development.  

I recommended going for a straight running plate version so that it would look different from other GW 4-6-0s but seemingly such subtlety was lost on the part of non-believers.  these of course lasted into BR days but usually seemed to run in total filth if photos are any guide.

I'll say no more about 'Saints' at this stage but both it and the Hawksworth 'County' can be guaranteed to be announced by Hornby when somebody else announces theirs because, obviously, 'Hornby had done it first so it must be their model for ever'

• Round of applause 4
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 30/10/2022 at 17:26, NHY 581 said:

Well, that sums up Hornby's approach and sadly, I have to say good riddance. 

With such a high handed attitude, quite frankly they deserve to fail. 

One has to ask, what is the point of Hornby attending shows if they are to treat their customers thus.....? 

Ridiculous. 

Rob. 

Nothing new there then.  I well remember my conversation with Mr SK regarding the bogie wheels on the then new 'Star' which if nothing else showed him up as a cheapjack salesman rather than anything else and certainly not interested in genuine customer comments and concerns..  But in his favour he is well worth talking to about Hammant & Morgan  (but not much else).

As far as I'm concerned he's welcome to the 731,483 Hornby 1p shares  he acquired at par price on 04 August this year in addition to the 20,642 he already held under previous incentive schmes..

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Dear Broke from Radstock

My contribution to the “ evidence “ can be found on the Bachmann thread. FYI all I can verify is that they worked regularly on Salisbury-Exeter stoppers during the “era” of ANTB .Thus it maybe conceivable a set could have found its way through Brent at some time c 1946/7-1950.It’s that man Lockett again.But his “Southern Steam in the South and West.” on this occasion. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2022 at 10:57, Tim Dubya said:

Cheers,

And now we need a ‘U’ 2-6-0 as a natural complement,don’t we ? Though really you could run most available rtr  SR models with them as long as is chronologically correct….from both airsmoothed Bulleids to a T9 or,even better,aQ1 .A mouthwatering prospect.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

My contribution to the “ evidence “ can be found on the Bachmann thread. FYI all I can verify is that they worked regularly on Salisbury-Exeter stoppers during the “era” of ANTB .Thus it maybe conceivable a set could have found its way through Brent at some time c 1946/7-1950.It’s that man Lockett again.But his “Southern Steam in the South and West.” on this occasion. 

For SR drivers' route knowledge perhaps?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

For SR drivers' route knowledge perhaps?

Well,this is where it’s not that straightforward. WR stock was normally used with SR motive power for this purpose. It would be useful if there is evidence that SR stock was in fact ever used,other than for route diversion in cases where the Meldon Viaduct route was closed. Which of course begs the question why would Southern semi fast sets be used,other than in case of emergency ? Norman Lockett also has pre 1939 images of the SR long way round which does show ex LSWR stock in train consists but either in pairs or singly and not in a 3 set.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm really not much of a wish-lister, but I was looking through one of the excellent John Hodge Welsh Valleys books (Pen & Sword) the other day and it occurred to me that no one has yet produced an RTR 44XX prairie tanks.

Now that the manufacturers are falling all over each other to produce all manner of strange and exotic items of motive power, such as NER Bo Bo electrics and even 'Big Bertha', I found it slightly surprising that no one seems to have considered the humble 44XX.

These saw use in South Wales, the West Country, Shropshire and Monmouthshire, to name a few locations and the last ones were withdrawn in 1955, long enough for them to acquire BR black livery and smokebox numberplates.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm really not much of a wish-lister, but I was looking through one of the excellent John Hodge Welsh Valleys books (Pen & Sword) the other day and it occurred to me that no one has yet produced an RTR 44XX prairie tanks.

Now that the manufacturers are falling all over each other to produce all manner of strange and exotic items of motive power, such as NER Bo Bo electrics and even 'Big Bertha', I found it slightly surprising that no one seems to have considered the humble 44XX.

These saw use in South Wales, the West Country, Shropshire and Monmouthshire, to name a few locations and the last ones were withdrawn in 1955, long enough for them to acquire BR black livery and smokebox numberplates.

Me too - 4401/ 3/ 5/ 6/ 8/ 9 all ran up and down the Helston branch and I would dearly love one - I have a couple of 45xx and a 55xx and even 3912 but sadly no 44xx.

Andy

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I do like the 44xx with the low tanks and large bunker, they do look very different.

Were they any connection with or a development of the similar looking 4-4-2 tanks with the large driving wheels?

No.   The small 4-4-2 tank engine of 1913 was the natural corollary for the large 4-4-2T .  However there was only ever one 4600 class 4-4-2T and it seems that Churchward's idea in building it was to go for larger driving wheels (5'8" diameter) in order to achieve higher speeds than the 45XX 2-6-2T.  it worked in South wales for a while when new efore being sent to Birmingham to work on local services but it was clearly didn't offer any advantages over either the small or large prairies and it was scrapped when only 12 years old.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2022 at 10:06, MrWolf said:

At least you wouldn't get mistaken for a Hell's Accountant, / dentist / lawyer etc.

The H.O.G. always have spotless leathers and carefully ignore we greasers.

Although upon turning up at a meet astride a 1949 Vincent Rapide I got the usual "What's that worth then?"

"About £25,000."

"Wow, you could get a really nice Harley for that kind of money...."

If you want a nice Harley these days, buy a new one, and then get the paint re-done, chrome re-plated and the engine properly built and dyno'd.  That'll set you back 15 large ones on top of the buy price.

Indian rider/Greaser and proud to be - the rain washes the flies, coffee froth and egg yolk off my leathers........

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

2 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

If you want a nice Harley these days, buy a new one, and then get the paint re-done, chrome re-plated and the engine properly built and dyno'd.  That'll set you back 15 large ones on top of the buy price.

Indian rider/Greaser and proud to be - the rain washes the flies, coffee froth and egg yolk off my leathers........

Or you can just ride it about 200 dry miles between June and September and don't forget your HD branded aftershave...

I've had my leather jacket since I was twenty, after somebody nicked my dad's old Lewis Lightning at a college party. It's had a few repairs, it gets hide feed and that's about it. It's got history, pretty much all the best things I've ever done were in that jacket!

• Friendly/supportive 2

35 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

No.   The small 4-4-2 tank engine of 1913 was the natural corollary for the large 4-4-2T .  However there was only ever one 4600 class 4-4-2T and it seems that Churchward's idea in building it was to go for larger driving wheels (5'8" diameter) in order to achieve higher speeds than the 45XX 2-6-2T.  it worked in South wales for a while when new efore being sent to Birmingham to work on local services but it was clearly didn't offer any advantages over either the small or large prairies and it was scrapped when only 12 years old.

That's interesting information, was that the one known as the "County tank"?