A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Is there any particular reason for the lack of questions from everyone regarding the newly announced TT120.🤣

Perhaps it isn't a scale some of us need? I do OO, HO, HOn3, On30. That's quite enough.....

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Given the amount of 4mm items I already have, switching to a minority scale and the involved costs wouldn't make sense to me, to my mind there's not enough advantage over OO and besides my hands are like shovels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Is there any particular reason for the lack of questions from everyone regarding the newly announced TT120.🤣

Thought you might be wanting to keep this thread ever so vaguely on topic!

:-)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Did you manage to get a consensus of questions Robin? I notice a few people suggesting the Saint - I must admit to being very surprised it’s not appeared already, given the GWS launched Lady of Legend a while ago.

As for TT120….. Damp Squib comes to mind. 

Enjoy your visit to Gaydon and conversation with Simon.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

a). Too small

b). Too late

c). Not enough GWR

d). Made by Evil Uncle Hornby

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It saves time for getting on with life and normal model railways?

It works for me and I've hit the 'Ignore this topic' button for all but one of the pandemic of TT threads to help keep my balance.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

TT?

Isle of Man motorcycle racing? Table tennis? An Audi?

Isn't  this a model railway forum...?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, M.I.B said:

If you do happen upon Mr Kohler, please do ask about a 100% new Saint.  It's the biggest gap in the GWR fleet in RTR terms - the early 80s mouldings are prehistoric.    Everything else has been re-done at least once by everyone since the Hornby Saint first hit the shops, so it'd sell for sure, in every livery from early Edwardian to early Diesel.

Hello Robin

The County also needs to happen! (Only 'just' GWR, I grant you.)

Brian

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Re tt120. This is pure speculation, but I would think a lot of the people on this thread enjoy making models, one way or another. This probably means most of us enjoy dealing with after market suppliers, kit makers etc etc and speaking for myself, I can't see that kind of 'infrastructure' growing up in TT120 anytime soon? Plus, to me it doesn't have as much scenic scope or appeal as 2mm fs or n. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

I can't see that kind of 'infrastructure' growing up in TT120 anytime soon

For me that's the crucial point and far outweighs TT-120's USP - its correct scale-to-gauge ratio.  I'd want fully chaired bullhead rail track as a minimum too!  

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Back to the Rapido covered van and here's the BR grey version I plan to add to my 1957 Ivybridge goods train. Plenty to be seen at Gaydon with some dealers doing offers on more than three.

DSCN8865.JPG.139f1471d705b0610cd1867eee8dbe58.JPG

DSCN8867.JPG.985d8369b363ca38119dcc51cbc3277e.JPG

Yes,my extravagance was 4 for £100.They are nice though.Great talking with you this morning.The show was well worth it. I was refused an audience with His Holiness SK unless I became a convert to TT ( there was a very nice 009 layout on an IOM theme too ) . I declined . He was later observed by self outside his roped off chapel. Nice stuff on Hornby stand included the two excellent 78XXX samples and the next full metal jacket MN in BR Green livery. Nice balance of layouts & trade.

Nice venue. Helpful,polite staff and very decently filled fresh Tuna & cucumber sandwich 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Nice to see you this morning @Ian Hargrave but it's not good news for anyone wanting news on Hornby products.

Mr Kohler refused to speak with me unless I joined the exclusive TT120 club and I wasn't prepared to give them my details for something of no interest to me.

However, talking to another guy on the normal Hornby stand and there will be their usual OO announcements in January .  Talk was had concerning a Saint and County as well as adding stuff to the Collett coaches range. I'm suspecting it to be in one ear and out the other.

Well, that sums up Hornby's approach and sadly, I have to say good riddance. 

With such a high handed attitude, quite frankly they deserve to fail. 

One has to ask, what is the point of Hornby attending shows if they are to treat their customers thus.....? 

Ridiculous. 

Rob. 

• Agree 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, that sums up Hornby's approach and sadly, I have to say good riddance. 

With such a high handed attitude, quite frankly they deserve to fail. 

One has to ask, what is the point of Hornby attending shows if they are to treat their customers thus.....? 

Ridiculous. 

Rob. 

I've no wish to read them but I'm sure there are other threads on here which debate the Hornby situation in endless circles. However, for a company which has recently had it's fingers burned financially, this TT business seems a heck of a risk, perhaps more an act of desperation. Which makes the attitude shown to Rob even more perplexing...

Edited by TrevorP1
Typo
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold

Here's a thought: All our lovely models from all OO manufacturers currently have to go round ridiculously tight trainset curves and this causes some horrible compromises like floppy motion, huge gaps between vehicles and crucial bits of detail missing or cut away. (OK, I realise that all these things can be overcome but it would be better if we didn't have to in the first place!)

Why the trainset requirements? Mainly because of Hornby, I suggest.

So if Hornby are now concentrating on TT120 trainsets maybe the centre of gravity in the 4mm scale world might move enough for the remaining players to tighten up the basic engineering requirements of their models and so improve both accuracy and running qualities.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Here's a thought: All our lovely models from all OO manufacturers currently have to go round ridiculously tight trainset curves and this causes some horrible compromises like floppy motion, huge gaps between vehicles and crucial bits of detail missing or cut away. (OK, I realise that all these things can be overcome but it would be better if we didn't have to in the first place!)

Why the trainset requirements? Mainly because of Hornby, I suggest.

So if Hornby are now concentrating on TT120 trainsets maybe the centre of gravity in the 4mm scale world might move enough for the remaining players to tighten up the basic engineering requirements of their models and so improve both accuracy and running qualities.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, that's unlikely to happen. What you describe is effectively EM without the more accurate gauge.

All the slop in OO is what allows people to incorporate tight curves on their layouts. Not just train-setters, but many more "serious" modellers who employ 18" curves on hidden sections so they have room for gentler ones on the visible portions.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, that's unlikely to happen. What you describe is effectively EM without the more accurate gauge.

All the slop in OO is what allows people to incorporate tight curves on their layouts. Not just train-setters, but many more "serious" modellers who employ 18" curves on hidden sections so they have room for gentler ones on the visible portions.

John

Yes, that is a bit of a fly in the ointment but maybe manufacturers could at least deliver their models in a tighter form by default with the option to loosen parts up to negotiate small radius curves for those who need it?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

I've no wish to read them but I'm sure there are other threads on here which debate the Hornby situation in endless circles. However, for a company which has recently are it's fingers burned financially, this TT business seems a heck of a risk, perhaps more an act of desperation. Which makes the attitude shown to Rob even more perplexing...

Me too…To quote a well worn cry…😩

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

That Rapido Van looks very tempting Rob. I'm still resisting, but.....

Resistance is futile Mr Duck...... 😉

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Resistance is futile Mr Duck...... 😉

I do believe the Rapido GWR four plank is next to leave the factory and might be here before Xmas.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1