A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, mattingleycustom said:

HMS Queen Elizabeth berthed at Princess Royal Jetty in Portsmouth Naval Base.

Did you go on the Victory Rob?

Glenn, Pompey resident and former 'Docky'

Nice to hear from you Glenn. Of course and what a piece of history she is .;)

331436798_DSCN6265(2).JPG.85e5a6f267167a22cae4ee70df4e07c5.JPG1529456067_DSCN6274(2).JPG.02f3f265dfb9e87b817e229abbc82634.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Good grief, it was an innocent question. We can't all afford a "very expensive library of reference books" can we?

Perhaps John Isherwood is having a bad day? Or perhaps the medication is wearing off?

That kind of snyde comment has just ensured that you won't get any more helpful responses from me. If you ask for help, be careful not to cast doubt on the (correct) information that you receive. The alternative is to create inaccurate models, or to stop modelling and spend the money on books, so that you can undertake research that you trust.

..... and, for your information, my "expensive" library was purchased over some fifty years and, in the early years, I could ill afford the expense. All in the cause of accurate modelling, and being able to assist (less than grateful) fellow modellers.

End of conversation.

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Good news chaps! 

The HS2 (1940) Planning Committee has graciously agreed to the Salcombe Ice Cream Company building a brand new factory, warehouse and private siding next to the new Salcombe Station (between Batson and Shadycombe). It's also agreed to a Military Siding being built from Batson, along the north of Batson Creek, to connect to the new RN Supplies Dock at Ilbertsow Point. That will have a wharf with munitions and oil storage as well. So there will be a need for many more milk and oil trains, running through Brent, and then heading down the Kingsbridge branch line.

Keep Calm And Carry On.

In wartime? Capital expenditure and strategic building materials for a factory for luxuries, and the diversion of milk supplies at a time when imported dried milk would be a future god-send. Do you have any concept of wartime priorities? Sadly, you may be about to find out !!

Oh, sorry; was that too much pedantry for you?

Do carry on playing make-believe - but don't insult the memory of real wartime planners with this sort of fairy story.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Before you indulge yourselves further gentlemen,may I respectfully draw your attention to the title of this thread and its happy positive sentiments. Out of respect and consideration for Robin who in so many ways keeps us all refreshingly sane and whose thread this is,please control hot tempers or remove your dispute to a more appropriate place.

Thank you.

Well said, thanks.

I'd like to apologise for any misunderstanding or miscommunication. I see now that my double-checking something in a flippant manner was perceived as a challenge to someone's authority. I do, of course, recognise that inside a small community such as this, their authority can be a delicate thing for some people, who may have a lot invested in it, both financially and emotionally.  I hope no other newcomers feel detered from asking naive or "beginners" questions, out of a fear of triggering a rant or a dressing-down, as that would seriously spoil the good nature and goodwill of this very nice forum.

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, I thought I was tuned into Eastbenders for a moment, but no, it was the Archers. So, in light of the calmness that has now descended upon Brent.....

here is something offensive....

0937-me.jpg.f8565c962ae579ab2d4b5479791033fd.jpg

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, cctransuk said:

That kind of snyde comment has just ensured that you won't get any more helpful responses from me. If you ask for help, be careful not to cast doubt on the (correct) information that you receive. The alternative is to create inaccurate models, or to stop modelling and spend the money on books, so that you can undertake research that you trust.

..... and, for your information, my "expensive" library was purchased over some fifty years and, in the early years, I could ill afford the expense. All in the cause of accurate modelling, and being able to assist (less than grateful) fellow modellers.

End of conversation.

John Isherwood.

As we say to the grandchildren when they start scrapping:- Keith, John, play nicely!!

Seriously:-

While agreeing that John is correct in what he said re the colour, Keith has a point that often in a black and white photo the colour that appears grey would be light/mid grey rather than maroon!

Thank god for colour photography, I say. At least with modern photos mostly, not always, we can only argue about the shade, not the base colour.

The major exception I find is when the object is in deep shade and many colours then appear black or dark blue!

Best regards

Paul

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

17 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Nice to hear from you Glenn. Of course and what a piece of history she is .;)

331436798_DSCN6265(2).JPG.85e5a6f267167a22cae4ee70df4e07c5.JPG1529456067_DSCN6274(2).JPG.02f3f265dfb9e87b817e229abbc82634.JPG

HMS Victory is probably the most significant bit of kit from an era when Britain truly rules the waves, just mind your head when you go around as sailors were short in those days (Nelson certainly was). Oddly enough I think we're short of sailors now!

The two carriers both live at the 'historic' end of the Naval Base, so you'd be unlucky not to see one at least on a visit.

Next time you come down please visit the Spinnaker Tower and the Gunwharf and spend some cash, it helps keep my Council Tax down. If any of us are ever allowed out again!

Glenn

Edited by mattingleycustom
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Good news chaps! 

The HS2 (1940) Planning Committee has graciously agreed to the Salcombe Ice Cream Company building a brand new factory, warehouse and private siding next to the new Salcombe Station (between Batson and Shadycombe). It's also agreed to a Military Siding being built from Batson, along the north of Batson Creek, to connect to the new RN Supplies Dock at Ilbertsow Point. That will have a wharf with munitions and oil storage as well. So there will be a need for many more milk and oil trains, running through Brent, and then heading down the Kingsbridge branch line.

Keep Calm And Carry On.

If intending to actually build a layout, as mentioned much of this would be problematic - the money and supplies simply wouldn't be there for most of that infrastructure.

Perhaps have the extension of the line happen a few years earlier, with money spent as part of the make work programs that I believe were happening at the time, and then add a few "cheap and quick" extensions to suit the military needs of WW2?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

As we say to the grandchildren when they start scrapping:- Keith, John, play nicely!!

Seriously:-

While agreeing that John is correct in what he said re the colour, Keith has a point that often in a black and white photo the colour that appears grey would be light/mid grey rather than maroon!

Thank god for colour photography, I say. At least with modern photos mostly, not always, we can only argue about the shade, not the base colour.

The major exception I find is when the object is in deep shade and many colours then appear black or dark blue!

Best regards

Paul

Careful - crimson is not maroon.

Crimson in the BR context is the bright red, often called 'blood'.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Careful - crimson is not maroon.

Crimson in the BR context is the bright red, often called 'blood'.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Rings a bell with me when I recall one description written at that time as “plum and spilt milk”,though to whom that’s attributed I don’t know..Anyone ?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you can help me with a philosophical question. Why is it that some people's worst fear in this whole crisis is the prospect of running out of bog roll? Just began 14 days self-isolation as my lovely wife has mild symptoms. Unfortunately it seems to have coincided with a complete loss of modelling mojo so I'm just moping about bored....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Grange class 6822 Manton Grange seen on a stopping train.

2087774779_DSCN5303(2).JPG.8c51597202332aaac90b882e76ebbaca.jpg.9c0f5ffa3d1900fc8a7c387a1d42eb15.jpg

Good to see an inoffensive Grange in action... ;)

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

a complete loss of modelling mojo so I'm just moping about bored....

And no sport to watch either Colin especially as my team are sat top of their league.:drink_mini:

30 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Why is it that some people's worst fear in this whole crisis is the prospect of running out of bog roll? 

A fear of missing out from selfish .:angry:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Rings a bell with me when I recall one description written at that time as “plum and spilt milk”,though to whom that’s attributed I don’t know..Anyone ?

Plum and spilt milk was a separate experimental livery, tried out around the time that lined blue was the offical livery for top link locos.

The plum was just that; a deeper, purplish shade and the spilt milk was a whiter shade of cream.

At the time, the livery was compared to the old LNWR coach livery.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Cabin fever, happens in these days of self isolation.  So who is there to let off steam at, but surely anything can be resolved in our normal cordial atmosphere, free of any virus.

Brian.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Ahhh....sepia.Where’s the horsehair?  The Grange being the best GW all round loco.A machine for all seasons.

I was hoping for my first ride behind a Saint next month... hopefully won’t be too long.  Equally, I’m yet to see a Grange in steam.   Part of me is also looking forward to the 7200 getting completed though suspect we’ll see the County before that.  I’ve also given to the P2 fund.  That’s going to be quite something to see as well.

David

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1