A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

2 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

And a Happy Birthday to Robin -  who needs to be carbon-dated to tell how old he is - as originally Robin is from a Galaxy Far Far Away and tends to wander around in a black suit, cloak and helmet telling everyone that he is their father after he's chopped their right-hand off:jester:

1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

That was a grave error

images.jpeg.246db183734ab33a6cbff8bda2c72898.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

So is Russell more reliable than Larkins?

Who knows!

Each to their own.

If we are modelling late 50s/ very early 60s I think it reasonable to use mainly Late LNER and BR vans with one or two Bloaters particularly as the term is to be found in the Carriage Working Books for 1961!

But this is just for variety, and to distinguish a fish van loading in Cornwall from one loading in Hull.

Best regards

Paul

Paul, I suspect that both have their shortcomings but in this case I lean towards the conclusion of early 50s rather than late 60s for the withdrawal of the GWR vans because of the Insulfish build dates. Also, the Carriage Working Books might use "Bloater" to represent all types of fish van irrespective of origin.

The BR Insulfish vans were built from 1949 to 1955 (diagram 1/800 with plain bearings) and from 1960 to 1961 (diagram 1/801 with roller bearings). Fish traffic ceased after about 1964 and the vans either went into general parcels or departmental use. That's why I think that "late 1960s" should read "late 1950s) in the Theale caption.

Anyway, I'll continue to run my white Hornby Insulfish van until I can replace it by an Insixfish, even though I don't think either is strictly correct for Cornwall!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Anyway, I'll continue to run my white Hornby Insulfish van until I can replace it by an Insixfish, even though I don't think either is strictly correct for Cornwall!

All this fishy talk has reminded me I've got a Parkside 6T  Fish Van Kit PC59 still in its original wrapper. Does anyone know what colour(s) it should be painted? White, off-white, or grey?

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

All this fishy talk has reminded me I've got a Parkside 6T  Fish Van Kit PC59 still in its original wrapper. Does anyone know what colour(s) it should be painted? White, off-white, or grey?

None of those.

M39476M.jpg.dca08a5c10f3721500f741a6dee5af24.jpg

Ex-LMS Dia. 2059 was categorised as Non-Passenger Carrying Coaching Stock and, as such, was painted BR crimson with straw yellow lettering.

Suitable transfers can be found on my transfer sheet BL51; see https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

11 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

None of those.

M39476M.jpg.dca08a5c10f3721500f741a6dee5af24.jpg

Ex-LMS Dia. 2059 was categorised as Non-Passenger Carrying Coaching Stock and, as such, was painted BR crimson with straw yellow lettering.

Suitable transfers can be found on my transfer sheet BL51; see https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hmm, looks grey to me. How can folk tell what colour it is from a black & white photo? :(

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Hmm, looks grey to me. How can folk tell what colour it is from a black & white photo? :(

Well - some of us saw the prototype.

Secondly, it has an M suffix to it's number - which indicates that it is NPCCS, and the livery for NPCCS is as I have stated.

Thirdly, if you had, as I have done, invested in a very expensive library of reference books, you would know that all of the relevant publications confirm the livery details that I have given.

Why ask the question if you're not inclined to believe the answer? ..... but go ahead and paint it sky-blue-pink for all I care !!

John Isherwood.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Not unconnected to the above posts, why do some people imagine that accurate railway modelling can be undertaken without investing in some basic reference publications?

I know that a certain sector regards research as asking questions on the internet, and expecting those who have invested time and money in studying railway publications to provide the answers, gratis.

..... and then they have the gall to call into question the answers that they get - presumably because it will involve spending money on paint and transfers that they don't have to hand.

Why do we bother !!

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Will the weekend bring some freight action through Brent I wonder?

Oooh, I do hope so. :dance_mini:

I could post some pics of a small freight train that is due to leave HMS Hades with "special supplies" for the construction (and destruction) of the extension from Kingsbridge to Salcombe.  It ought to come via Brent, and normally would. 

Just so long as I don't unwittingly trigger more pedantry ... can't be too careful these days. Perhaps I better send it through Brent late at night when you are all tucked up in bed asleep and can't see what colours the wagons are, or what's pulling them?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

We could do with either a milk train or an oil train I believe. 

A bit of Hall, Grange or 2-8-0 action wouldn't go amiss... ;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

28 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Good news chaps! 

The HS2 (1940) Planning Committee has graciously agreed to the Salcombe Ice Cream Company building a brand new factory, warehouse and private siding next to the new Salcombe Station (between Batson and Shadycombe). It's also agreed to a Military Siding being built from Batson, along the north of Batson Creek, to connect to the new RN Supplies Dock at Ilbertsow Point. That will have a wharf with munitions and oil storage as well. So there will be a need for many more milk and oil trains, running through Brent, and then heading down the Kingsbridge branch line.

Keep Calm And Carry On.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, 46444 said:

A bit of Hall, Grange or 2-8-0 action wouldn't go amiss... ;)

In the meantime this video of the Spring Gala at the SDR last weekend should satisfy you.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Not unconnected to the above posts, why do some people imagine that accurate railway modelling can be undertaken without investing in some basic reference publications?

I know that a certain sector regards research as asking questions on the internet, and expecting those who have invested time and money in studying railway publications to provide the answers, gratis.

..... and then they have the gall to call into question the answers that they get - presumably because it will involve spending money on paint and transfers that they don't have to hand.

Why do we bother !!

John Isherwood.

Hi John

Does that include buying the Essery and Jenkinson books on LMS coaches so you can help people identify ex sleeper, come ex ambulance coaches converted into cafeteria cars?  We hopefully are all here to help each other.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

TBG....Robin’s a “stud” ? Really....oh how impressive.......obviously a man of many talents.

Not one to blow ones own euphonium though.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi John

Does that include buying the Essery and Jenkinson books on LMS coaches so you can help people identify ex sleeper, come ex ambulance coaches converted into cafeteria cars?  We hopefully are all here to help each other.

I do have the book in question - though I didn't recognise the one I posted; the Maunsell-style windows distracted me.

I frequently offer responses to requests for help; I just get annoyed when the OP seems to poo-poo my detailed answer.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 3