A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

The trail of the Fish continues...….

I think we know a song about that?

Something like:

In the brown ridge mountains of Devonia

On the trail of the lonesome van

In the pale moonshine our trains entwine,

Where she carved her headcode and I carved mine;

In the brown ridge mountains of Devonia

On the trail of the lonesome van

Edited by KeithMacdonald
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Page 1500....cor that is a lot.

31 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Mr Duck

The coach is an ex LMS diagram D1709 3rd Sleeping Car, converted in WW2 to an ambulance carriage. After it was de-mobbed it was again converted, this time by Eastleigh into a diagram D2195 Pantry Car, but labeled as a Cafeteria  Car. Why is on the Western Region you ask? Well the seven conversions were allocated to the WR to start with. They later went home to the LMR. :locomotive:

Edit, they were numbered W254 M to W257M and W265M to W269M. The two dots on the lower panels are grille type vents.

Knowing all that . . . cor that is a lot!

It’s great having such knowledge made freely available.  Many thanks,

Paul.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Mr Duck

The coach is an ex LMS diagram D1709 3rd Sleeping Car, converted in WW2 to an ambulance carriage. After it was de-mobbed it was again converted, this time by Eastleigh into a diagram D2195 Pantry Car, but labeled as a Cafeteria  Car. Why is on the Western Region you ask? Well the seven conversions were allocated to the WR to start with. They later went home to the LMR. :locomotive:

Edit, they were numbered W254 M to W257M and W265M to W269M. The two dots on the lower panels are grille type vents.

Write it all down in a book so we can reference it when not near your head. 

Richard 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, richard i said:

Write it all down in a book so we can reference it when not near your head. 

Richard 

Hi Richard

Looking at the photo I could see it was an LMS style of coach with odd windows. The large blank panel in the middle indicated some sort of catering vehicle. The odd looking windows appeared to be like the ones Eastleigh fitted to their conversions of both ex LMS and ex LNER coaches. So my next port of call was Essery and Jenkinson's LMS coach books, volume 2 as that is the one with the corridor coaches and find which diagram it matches. The rest of the waffle comes straight off the diagram.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Mr Duck

Thanks Morty. Your knowledge knows no bounds mate. I love trains like this. Probably never gave them a second glance back then, but now.....great fun and CCTUK will be over the moon.

Problem was when you click on that original phot in the original posted question it leads you to looking for hours at pictures of castles and loads of other stuff.

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Richard

Looking at the photo I could see it was an LMS style of coach with odd windows. The large blank panel in the middle indicated some sort of catering vehicle. The odd looking windows appeared to be like the ones Eastleigh fitted to their conversions of both ex LMS and ex LNER coaches. So my next port of call was Essery and Jenkinson's LMS coach books, volume 2 as that is the one with the corridor coaches and find which diagram it matches. The rest of the waffle comes straight off the diagram.

I should have got it. Clearly an LMS underframe but LNW style body. It had to be an early (Period 1) sleeper converted. And I think these have been mentioned in another thread.

An interesting vehicle. I think that I will have to look into getting one. Make a nice change from other catering vehicles.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

image.png.1bb5f6020934e46e31b64c889f6beca1.png

Elsewhere Mr Isherwood is asking what the second vehicle (unusual coach) is chaps? Any ideas?

P

It was you that wrote about this vehicle in the Hills of the North thread back in 2017!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I should have got it. Clearly an LMS underframe but LNW style body. It had to be an early (Period 1) sleeper converted. And I think these have been mentioned in another thread.

An interesting vehicle. I think that I will have to look into getting one. Make a nice change from other catering vehicles.

Diagram D1709 were pure LMS period I style coaches built from 1928 until 1931. The last 10 built were steel paneled like a period II coach but retained the high windows of the period I coaches. The corridor side looked like a standard LMS TK. The compartment side had the triple windows of a TK but lacked the doors to the compartments, just having a drop light between the quarter lights. The interiors were originally convertible for night use. Later many were rebuilt with fixed berths. Most of the 40 ambulance train conversions reverted back to sleeper use. 17 ended up as Cafeteria or buffet cars. 

Information from Essery and Jekinson LMS coaches Volume 2.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks Morty. Your knowledge knows no bounds mate. I love trains like this. Probably never gave them a second glance back then, but now.....great fun and CCTUK will be over the moon.

Problem was when you click on that original phot in the original posted question it leads you to looking for hours at pictures of castles and loads of other stuff.

P

CCTUK is over the moon !!

It was the windows that threw me - the square outline gave the erroneous impression that they had protective grilles.

I have always liked these Eastleigh conversions - they give a feeling of what BR coaching stock might have looked like if the Mk. 1 style had not emerged quite so soon. I suppose that they were the mongrels of the coaching stock world!

As for time-wasting; I've a feeling that self-isolation, (when it comes to us over-70s), may well lead to serial on-line photo collection browsing when actual modelling palls.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, toboldlygo said:

1500 pages and of how many of those has @2ManySpams spent on the Naughty Step?

Not many at all especially as he's probably wondering if all his training for next month's Wolf Run will be in vain.:huh:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Had a cheeky weekend away with the good lady and not expecting any railway connected items until I stumbled across these beasts. What are they and where was I ?

100069963_DSCN6278(2).JPG.2af20db7a78064cc7ab0bf8e93a68656.JPG1074290720_DSCN6280(2).JPG.41e0fb4114ad26fd7c475e4cc94eaec4.JPG807120868_DSCN6277(2).JPG.132eee1c37bdbf4581b09f63724cda1a.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Pompey?

Looks like an LNER van. SR open obviously. No idea about the third.

The background subject gives the game away.;) Even @toboldlygo hasn't made a model of her.

1851107114_DSCN6275(2).JPG.6be1dd5ebd86ebc1e4abc7cd02b7ddd9.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CCTUK is over the moon !!

It was the windows that threw me - the square outline gave the erroneous impression that they had protective grilles.

I have always liked these Eastleigh conversions - they give a feeling of what BR coaching stock might have looked like if the Mk. 1 style had not emerged quite so soon. I suppose that they were the mongrels of the coaching stock world!

As for time-wasting; I've a feeling that self-isolation, (when it comes to us over-70s), may well lead to serial on-line photo collection browsing when actual modelling palls.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I like the Gresley Bulleid Buffet from Eastleigh; still haven't finished mine but it is there awaiting attention for the final bits and painting (that's the barrier for me due to the paint issue).

Good thinking ref the perusing of pics John! So glad that the identity has been of use.

P

• Like 1