A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

It's actually the little-known 'Flying Parsnip' of the Todmordon & Horrocksford Junction Railway, wearing it's even more little-known 'Velvet Green' livery of 22nd August 1951. By the 23rd, the fitters at Horrocksford Exchange Sidings No. 1 G.F. Stabling Point had re-painted it into a facsimile of LNER 'Pink Lady Apple Pink', which suited it a whole lot more.

• RMweb Gold

Those pics remind me of an incident involving one of those things on our local branch line.  We arrived at the junction late one evening (from London I think) to be told that the branch train had been delayed - but there sitting in the bay was one of those flying banana thingies so the natural question was to ask what the problem was, was it broken?  No - perfect working order but 'someone' had forgotten to put the tail lamp on before it left the terminus and it had arrived at the junction without a tail lamp.  So despite being a single car fixed unit and the only train on a 5 mile long double track branchline it couldn't set off back down the branch without a tail lamp.  

Fortunately some brave soul was heading towards the junction on the roughly parallel road carrying the missing tail lamp on his bicycle.  There's a moral somewhere in that story ;)

PS I noted at Pendon today that there were a considerable number of trains running without loco headlamps and one train that was actually carrying lamps was incorrectly lamped as Class E although it was clearly a Class C train (oh and their cattle wagons are plastered with white weathering so they clearly have a slightly flexible modelled period, 1925 - 35 I was told).

• RMweb Premium

Those pics remind me of an incident involving one of those things on our local branch line.  We arrived at the junction late one evening (from London I think) to be told that the branch train had been delayed - but there sitting in the bay was one of those flying banana thingies so the natural question was to ask what the problem was, was it broken?  No - perfect working order but 'someone' had forgotten to put the tail lamp on before it left the terminus and it had arrived at the junction without a tail lamp.  So despite being a single car fixed unit and the only train on a 5 mile long double track branchline it couldn't set off back down the branch without a tail lamp.  

Fortunately some brave soul was heading towards the junction on the roughly parallel road carrying the missing tail lamp on his bicycle.  There's a moral somewhere in that story ;)

PS I noted at Pendon today that there were a considerable number of trains running without loco headlamps and one train that was actually carrying lamps was incorrectly lamped as Class E although it was clearly a Class C train (oh and their cattle wagons are plastered with white weathering so they clearly have a slightly flexible modelled period, 1925 - 35 I was told).

Hope you saw the coach (LMS Kitchen Car) wot I builded for them a few years back? If not it is no surprise as they probably still have not painted it!

P. Halababawoofwoof.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If that thing had been DCC it could have had lamps poking out of its' kn#b bits at the ends and a big switch in the Cab (see what I said there?) to alter the colour depending upon direction of travel.

C.V. Setter.

• RMweb Gold

Hope you saw the coach (LMS Kitchen Car) wot I builded for them a few years back? If not it is no surprise as they probably still have not painted it!

P. Halababawoofwoof.

I saw various 'ell of a mess coaches but as they came from the pink railway I was not spectacularly interested.  They did however have a very nice T9 (can't believe I said that :O ) and an incredibly noisy M7 - a sort of model railway equivalent (in noise terms) of HMS Ocean.